Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (cards, stickers or NFC smartphones)

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (cards, stickers or NFC smartphones)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 19, 19, 12:06 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: storewanderer
Wiki Link
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 14, 18, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by phltraveler View Post
Chase Freedom: Listed as available for contactless on chase.com/contactless but phone rep said it was being done in "batches" and my card would be sent automatically once my batch had been reached.
I was told this the day the webpage updated. After pushing back a little, citing others had made identical requests, the rep put me on hold to investigate. He came back and confirmed they had just launched that day.

Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
I'm fairly sure that's not actually the case. Try requesting a replacement online and select "damaged"; that's what the CS person is ultimately going to do anyway in my experience.
This should work in case you're not getting things done via a rep. "Damaged" was the reason for my replacements too. Both came with contactless. (See my post from a week ago.)
Old Dec 15, 18, 9:34 am

At Panera Bread, Verifone was broken for NFC, I presume. It would not pick up my phone. The cashier asked me if it was working so I assume, they were having problems with it. I had to use Samsung Pay.

I stopped at Smoothie King. It was young boy helping out his sister and mom. He took my order and the pos is customer facing but you have to approve the correct amount. I paid with my phone via Samsung Pay and his face lit up and said, cool. He went and told his mom that I paid with my phone.

I realized after I paid, I forgot to grab something for my wife so I went back and he went and got his mom and made her watch me pay with my phone. LOL.
Maayan likes this.
Old Dec 15, 18, 4:50 pm

I got my AMEX blue business card in the contactless version today. Haven’t used it yet.
Old Dec 16, 18, 8:07 am

Wells Fargo locked my debit and credit card accounts after using Google Pay at Foot Locker. First, it took 3 attempts for Google Pay to go through. 3rd time was the charm. I used Samsung Pay later at another store. No issue.

I went to a couple others places last night and they kept saying my card was declined. Weird, I thought using my phone would prevent this headache but I guess not.
Old Dec 16, 18, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Wells Fargo locked my debit and credit card accounts after using Google Pay at Foot Locker. First, it took 3 attempts for Google Pay to go through. 3rd time was the charm. I used Samsung Pay later at another store. No issue.
The system is probably seeing all transactions as though they're on the physical card, unfortunately. Though I would think they'd tone it down a bit for any contactless or EMV transactions.
Old Dec 16, 18, 7:02 pm

I arrived in Honolulu this afternoon, and I have used my Chase Freedom Unlimited twice. There were no issues at ABC Stores, but the card failed at Honolulu Cookie Company. Last year around this time I was able to use Google Pay successfully at both merchants. The Verifone terminal at Honolulu Cookie Company errored out with the buzzing sound and said something like "CARD READ ERROR" on the screen even though the terminal had the contactless logo and said, "INSERT, TAP, OR SWIPE".
Old Dec 16, 18, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majuki View Post
I arrived in Honolulu this afternoon, and I have used my Chase Freedom Unlimited twice. There were no issues at ABC Stores, but the card failed at Honolulu Cookie Company. Last year around this time I was able to use Google Pay successfully at both merchants. The Verifone terminal at Honolulu Cookie Company errored out with the buzzing sound and said something like "CARD READ ERROR" on the screen even though the terminal had the contactless logo and said, "INSERT, TAP, OR SWIPE".
Did Google Pay continue to work or did that have problems too?
Old Dec 17, 18, 1:51 am

Did Google Pay continue to work or did that have problems too?
I didn't try, but I see no reason why it would have changed since last year.
Old Dec 17, 18, 5:14 pm

The system is probably seeing all transactions as though they're on the physical card, unfortunately. Though I would think they'd tone it down a bit for any contactless or EMV transactions.
Yeah, I figured that later on as well.
Old Dec 17, 18, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW the Venmo debit card promo credit posted on my account today, despite being forced to run one of the three transactions with PIN at Ralphs. I guess "signature" debit wasn't a requirement.
Old Dec 17, 18, 5:56 pm

Not that this is any surprise, but Longs Drugs has contactless enabled, and I used my contactless CFU. Their equipment matches those of CVS locations elsewhere. I used self checkout at the Waikiki location.

I'm trying to use the contactless with the physical card as much as possible in hopes that it skews the statistics in our favor. I imagine if tmiw and I are among the few with them that the statistics are pretty good at the moment.

I saw a Canadian paying with contactless at ABC stores this morning too.
Old Dec 17, 18, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not that this is any surprise, but Longs Drugs has contactless enabled, and I used my contactless CFU. Their equipment matches those of CVS locations elsewhere. I used self checkout at the Waikiki location.

I'm trying to use the contactless with the physical card as much as possible in hopes that it skews the statistics in our favor. I imagine if tmiw and I are among the few with them that the statistics are pretty good at the moment.

I saw a Canadian paying with contactless at ABC stores this morning too.
I temporarily went back to using Google Pay when possible on CFU for the extra 1x Chase is supposedly giving out. I'll definitely start tapping it way more often after the New Year.

That said, if I end up at a Costco before the end of the month I'll definitely tap my physical Freedom card.

BTW I still need to try tapping my DC MasterCard at a Square merchant that has tip on display enabled to see if it attempts tip adjust anyway.
Old Dec 17, 18, 7:24 pm

Family Dollar fail. Both Google Pay and Samsung Pay failed. The screen kept saying card error. Insert card for both options. I just went ahead and used my physical card.

Went next door to a new food spot that had a nice Clover setup. The NFC reader was strong too and I liked how it displayed the last 4 of your card on the screen.

Speedway has no NFC at the pump. Still says Coming Soon and the light is still blinking with no reaction.
Old Dec 17, 18, 7:44 pm

I temporarily went back to using Google Pay when possible on CFU for the extra 1x Chase is supposedly giving out.
I forgot that I had enrolled in that offer. I will temporarily go back to Google Pay as well.
Old Dec 17, 18, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I forgot that I had enrolled in that offer. I will temporarily go back to Google Pay as well.
I never got an email but I heard that it wasn't targeted and no enrollment's required. We'll see.

Search this Thread