Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by D582
That's interesting. My experiences using Clover terminals have been the opposite - always says Device Verified. Even just last week.
I suppose it's possible that every single one uses the same payment processor or something but I feel that's unlikely.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:16 pm

Apple Pay Cash does not support partial auth. I just tried at a Square merchant (Square do support it), and it declined instead of debiting the balance.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 4:24 pm

A Shell in my area now has contactless readers at the pump thanks to their recent forecourt upgrades. Tap (unsurprisingly) didn’t work, though.

- Discover Debit declined
- American Express declined
- Visa Credit declined
- Debit Mastercard didn’t read at all

The declines also seem to be offline. None of the attempts show up in Wallet, and the decline happened in less than two seconds, without even prompting for PIN with the debit card I tried.

At least the hardware is there - some progress is being made.

Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
A Shell in my area now has contactless readers at the pump thanks to their recent forecourt upgrades. Tap (unsurprisingly) didn’t work, though.

- Discover Debit declined
- American Express declined
- Visa Credit declined
- Debit Mastercard didn’t read at all

The declines also seem to be offline. None of the attempts show up in Wallet, and the decline happened in less than two seconds, without even prompting for PIN with the debit card I tried.

At least the hardware is there - some progress is being made.
Most of the Shell stations around here adopted EMV at the forecourt but not contactless. The one closest to my house closed recently for I don't know how long for construction, however, so we'll see what happens with that one.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Safeway has QuickChip now. As well as contactless. Good!
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Do they now auto-select the Common AID?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
Do they now auto-select the Common AID?
Nope still have to choose Debit or “Other”
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:15 am

Nope still have to choose Debit or “Other”
Great, I prefer it that way.

I’m not thrilled about Quick Chip. I’d rather they do a proper chip transaction enhancement.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: FB Gold
Anyone else here in the US get annoyed when a terminal shows contactless.....reads contactless.........and yet isn't set up/declines contactless ? I'm thinking Lidl US and NC ABC.....

I mean, geez, don't display the symbol if you're not ready !
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by mlin32
Anyone else here in the US get annoyed when a terminal shows contactless.....reads contactless.........and yet isn't set up/declines contactless ? I'm thinking Lidl US and NC ABC.....

I mean, geez, don't display the symbol if you're not ready !
A first data terminal at a Chinese restaurant advertises Apple Pay, I tap any debit card and it says “Debit keys not loaded”and have to use a card. Sigh.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Does this help with the situation all that one's Safeway member number takes as long as, if not longer than, the actual credit card to process?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A first data terminal at a Chinese restaurant advertises Apple Pay, I tap any debit card and it says “Debit keys not loaded”and have to use a card. Sigh.
I would have figured that they'd just run all contactless transactions over Visa/MC. Unfortunately this also means that they'd likely ask for the PIN if it did work.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
How many contactless debit cards do you have (re: any)? I don't generally keep debit cards on my phone unless there's a promotion.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
How many contactless debit cards do you have (re: any)? I don't generally keep debit cards on my phone unless there's a promotion.
Contactless credit cards seem to be more common than debit cards, at least according to http://spotterswiki.com/emv/.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My WF debit card was contactless . . . and then they discontinued physical contactless altogether.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.