Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by reclusive46
... (Also they can't re-authorize your card for more incidentals on a contactless authorisation)
That is a good point.

When I stayed at a Hilton earlier this year, I still received a bill at my door step despite the fact that I gave them my card when I checked in. Hotels could just get rid of the check-in all together and go with the digital key instead and authorize and re-bill based incidentals on the method you used to pay online. If the card is declined, the hotel could just send a bill to your house, and if you don't pay it, send you to collections and deny all future services until it's paid.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
It's not even advertised on their website, where the information really matters... Not some press release buried somewhere on a page where nobody visits. Nowhere on any of the primary pages does it mention anything about contactless when they're advertising each individual card.

Capital One's contactless implementation was cowardly. Logo on the back of the card and no mention of it with the card's advertisement, just some lame piece of paper that nobody reads that explains the the logo on the back means it has contactless, but like I've said, I bet most people don't see or read it anyway. It's like they don't want people to know it actually has contactless until after they're approved for it, and then perhaps they hope customers may forget the feature exists because nobody looks at the back of the card unless they're reading the numbers off of it.

I shouldn't really single out C.O, though, AMEX does the same stuff, at least it'll be the case until the new Hilton cards are rolled out. The contactless logo should be visible and advertised where you look at the card most.
I would think that NerdWallet is a fairly frequently visited website, even if their main visitor base are people really into credit cards.

On that note, not marketing it on their website would make sense if you consider the feature "beta". Let the credit card nerds kick the tires, so to speak, and fix the problems--then ramp up the marketing. I mean, I run into issues at stores in the US with my Diners Club card and it supports both EMV and MSD contactless; imagine if it was marketed heavily only to result in massive complaints from people? It'd likely kill contactless cards altogether.

Another reason they may not have contactless at check in is that foreign cards can often have weird reactions to contactless readers. For example, my UK MasterCard will work in Canada over 100$ via contactless still with no cvm and my UK Amex would bypass the PIN and ask for a signature. The same is true for Canadian cards in the UK. Maybe hotels want to avoid falling short of liability rules. (Also they can't re-authorize your card for more incidentals on a contactless authorisation)
Wouldn't contactless have been mostly okay in the UK (besides the re-authorization issue) due to nearly every hotel stay being >£30 and thus CDCVM-only? Of course, you'd need a mobile device with a properly configured mobile wallet, but still.

Also, are there any exemptions for hotels from the EU contactless mandate?

That is a good point.

When I stayed at a Hilton earlier this year, I still received a bill at my door step despite the fact that I gave them my card when I checked in. Hotels could just get rid of the check-in all together and go with the digital key instead and authorize and re-bill based incidentals on the method you used to pay online. If the card is declined, the hotel could just send a bill to your house, and if you don't pay it, send you to collections and deny all future services until it's paid.
Some countries mandate ID/registration on check-in, so that probably won't completely happen. (Not to mention that ID checks seem to be common practice at US hotels despite them not being strictly required from what I can tell.)
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tmiw
Wouldn't contactless have been mostly okay in the UK (besides the re-authorization issue) due to nearly every hotel stay being >£30 and thus CDCVM-only? Of course, you'd need a mobile device with a properly configured mobile wallet, but still.
I generally find the terminals that have CDCVM for transactions above £30 will also allow a signature or no CVM on foreign cards (Or in the case of Amex, sometimes even on domestic cards).
Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I generally find the terminals that have CDCVM for transactions above £30 will also allow a signature or no CVM on foreign cards (Or in the case of Amex, sometimes even on domestic cards).
Weird, I was thinking that all other CVMs would be removed for contactless (and I also seem to remember something in the MC rules at least about that, but I could be mistaken).
Old Nov 4, 2017, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
My inference as well - sky's the (theoretical) limit via fingerprint.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Some countries mandate ID/registration on check-in, so that probably won't completely happen. (Not to mention that ID checks seem to be common practice at US hotels...
At many Hilton Hotels you have the option of skipping the check in altogether and using a digital key. You check in through the app and use your phone to open the door. The last property I stayed in didn't have this feature, but I believe most of them do from what I've seen when looking at them while planning a vacation.

I would think that NerdWallet is a fairly frequently visited website, even if their main visitor base are people really into credit cards.
Credit card nerds like us already know about contactless so the press release does little for everyone else.

I've never had an issue with Visa Contactless but have with AMEX and Discover, so I don't see the need for beta.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:00 am

Weird, I was thinking that all other CVMs would be removed for contactless (and I also seem to remember something in the MC rules at least about that, but I could be mistaken).
Nope, contactless usually has online PIN and signature.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Credit card nerds like us already know about contactless so the press release does little for everyone else.

I've never had an issue with Visa Contactless but have with AMEX and Discover, so I don't see the need for beta.
With Apple Pay or with physical cards? It wasn't that long ago when the Citi Costco card worked almost nowhere in the US because it didn't support MSD mode.

Originally Posted by AllieKat
Nope, contactless usually has online PIN and signature.
Even in the UK? I thought almost no terminals there supported online PIN.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:36 am

With Apple Pay or with physical cards? It wasn't that long ago when the Citi Costco card worked almost nowhere in the US because it didn't support MSD mode.
I have a contactless Visa Signature Quicksilver and I've never had an issue with contactless on the physical card... I've used it at Subway, Sunoco, Wegmans, and Pep Boys.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:46 am

I have a contactless Visa Signature Quicksilver and I've never had an issue with contactless on the physical card... I've used it at Subway, Sunoco, Wegmans, and Pep Boys.
Because that card allows magstripe emulation mode, not all cards do.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 10:57 am

Because that card allows magstripe emulation mode, not all cards do.
TMIW asked so I answered... I don't believe Capital One needs to do a "beta" mode for contactless on their physical cards. It's not even really a beta if they're putting them on all cards that are being issued now.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:16 am

TMIW asked so I answered... I don't believe Capital One needs to do a "beta" mode for contactless on their physical cards. It's not even really a beta if they're putting them on all cards that are being issued now.
I don't think it is a beta, their press releases mention it, they follow international Visa guidelines AFAIK (do they include an advert promoting contactless in the envelope with the card? I think Visa requires this still).
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:35 am

I don't think it is a beta, their press releases mention it, they follow international Visa guidelines AFAIK (do they include an advert promoting contactless in the envelope with the card? I think Visa requires this still).
They do but it doesn't really explain how it works. It's just basic info that the average American won't understand.

I believe C.O puts the contactless symbol on the back of the card so they don't have to show it on their website or other advertising.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:56 am

They do but it doesn't really explain how it works. It's just basic info that the average American won't understand.

I believe C.O puts the contactless symbol on the back of the card so they don't have to show it on their website or other advertising.
They put it on the back of the card so it doesn't interfere with their branding. Amex has *always* put it on the back of their cards, tho in the UK they print a miniature version on the front along with the security code.

Mastercard and Visa recently seem to have decided to allow it on the back also, a placement gaining popularity. You're reading WAY too much into this. They want their branding to be front and centre, literally.

If someone doesn't read the inserts with the card, they won't notice the logo wherever it is either!
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:12 pm

They put it on the back of the card so it doesn't interfere with their branding. Amex has *always* put it on the back of their cards...
The new Hilton cards will have them on the front.

Like you've said, in the UK they're on the front.

I can't wait to request the new design when it comes out, the new card design is beautiful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.