Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Blogger discovers mobile payments a good antidote to US chip and PIN woes:

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...0/30/chip-pin/
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wco81
Blogger discovers mobile payments a good antidote to US chip and PIN woes:

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...0/30/chip-pin/
As mentioned in the comments, it's not going to be 100% the solution worldwide. For example, Indian NFC acceptance is even worse than in the US (and in fact, finding places that will accept cards at all can be difficult). It's probably more accurate to say that this helps with convenience in Western countries, specifically in Europe and the other Anglophone countries.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
That's fine, you don't expect the same options in developing countries as you would in more affluent nations.

I'm planning a trip to Bali next year and I'm hearing about rampant ATM skimming, to the point where some are advising to take a lot of USD to exchange over there, because a lot of smaller merchants only take cash.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 5:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by AllieKat
In my list last night I forgot Harrods (and Selfridge's) as places without contactless.

What's the other? It could well simply be no CDCVM
John Lewis is also without contactless, and maybe Debenhams. Seems like the UK dept stores feel they don't need it, although I think M&S do take contactless.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
A quick report on BJ's Warehouse: contactless Amex works again, both the card itself and via Apple Pay.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by stanj
John Lewis is also without contactless, and maybe Debenhams. Seems like the UK dept stores feel they don't need it, although I think M&S do take contactless.
Sounds about right. They’re about peddling high priced items and for these people using a regular card is just fine. Doesn’t bode well for Apple Pay though.

Apple really needs to get involved with merchant deployment.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by AllieKat
In my list last night I forgot Harrods (and Selfridge's) as places without contactless.

What's the other? It could well simply be no CDCVM
IIRC, these places use the Vx820 like Starbucks and Subway Do right? They disabled contactless or it just isn’t supported as it’s a fully integrated setup?

Yes certain UK stores opted for US style fully integrated rather than semi.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:16 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
The Costco on Coleman Avenue in Santa Clara opened a new gas station, and I noticed the pumps have contactless readers. They didn't appear active though. My transaction timed out when attempting an Android Pay payment.

Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
IIRC, these places use the Vx820 like Starbucks and Subway Do right? They disabled contactless or it just isn’t supported as it’s a fully integrated setup?

Yes certain UK stores opted for US style fully integrated rather than semi.
Harrods using VX820

Selfridges uses a really old Verifone model I never remember the model number of - it's the one where the buttons on the PIN pad are so stiff it is hard to press them and actually hurts a little.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Sounds about right. They’re about peddling high priced items and for these people using a regular card is just fine. Doesn’t bode well for Apple Pay though.

Apple really needs to get involved with merchant deployment.
I don't think merchant deployment is the problem in the UK.

For the US, I almost think that the networks will need to offer significant reductions in interchange fees in order for some of the holdouts to change their minds. Why else are many of them only doing the absolute minimum required of them? (Some already have loyalty programs, so I don't think data tracking is a big reason.)
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:19 am

At Circle K the cashier needs to press a button to enable credit card processing, so I have to always tell them I'm paying with credit and even after paying with apple pay I have to select credit. Seems like a horrible system, but at least it is faster than putting my card in their machine. If only they would accept Apple Pay at the pump, my life would be so much easier.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AmEx with US cards in Apple Pay still results in "card not accepted" on the Underground, unfortunately--despite upgrading to the iOS 11.2 beta and re-adding. The physical contactless cards work, however. (Interestingly, they do a $1 test charge instead of £1 soon after tapping in for the first time.)

Also, adding a US AmEx card to one's TfL account results in a SafeKey box appearing. While it behaved like Chase's in that it auto-redirected back, I thought there was no support for SafeKey at all for the US.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
The Costco on Coleman Avenue in Santa Clara opened a new gas station, and I noticed the pumps have contactless readers. They didn't appear active though. My transaction timed out when attempting an Android Pay payment.

All the Costco gas stations I have visited in the past year have upgraded the pumps to include EMV readers and NFC. However, as you noted, NFC isn't enabled right now.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MASTERNC
All the Costco gas stations I have visited in the past year have upgraded the pumps to include EMV readers and NFC. However, as you noted, NFC isn't enabled right now.
I've seen posts on /r/costco claiming that there are "no plans" to enable contactless. If that's truly the case, why would they buy the readers for the gas pumps? That seems like wasting money for no reason to me.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Sintaku
At Circle K the cashier needs to press a button to enable credit card processing, so I have to always tell them I'm paying with credit and even after paying with apple pay I have to select credit. Seems like a horrible system, but at least it is faster than putting my card in their machine. If only they would accept Apple Pay at the pump, my life would be so much easier.
Most Circle K's around me have upgraded their pumps with contactless readers.
(Phoenix/Glendale area)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.