Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Clover is getting a strong foothold in the UK. At least I know the stations deployed in the UK are being used correctly. FD has been getting a lot stronger in international markets, the Australian market got the FD-130 we are all used to seeing, to replace aging Verifones.
FD is supposedly pretty big into DCC too, so I don't know if that's ultimately going to be a bad thing.

I'm also finding that I'm using cash more than I thought, but that's mainly due to me being uncomfortable with using cards for anything <£2-3 and one restaurant that wanted to charge 20p for paying with a card. I don't think I've run into any truly cash-only merchants yet. In any case, it gives me an excuse to collect enough coins to form the Royal Shield.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by tmiw
FD is supposedly pretty big into DCC too, so I don't know if that's ultimately going to be a bad thing.

I'm also finding that I'm using cash more than I thought, but that's mainly due to me being uncomfortable with using cards for anything <£2-3 and one restaurant that wanted to charge 20p for paying with a card. I don't think I've run into any truly cash-only merchants yet. In any case, it gives me an excuse to collect enough coins to form the Royal Shield.

The interesting thing is that there’s no Clovers in Australia, but they do have FD130s and FD 410 terminals. Most FD130s in Australia have FD35 PIN pads properly positioned.

I’m guessing Canada/UK FD Verifones will be replaced with these as well, bringing it into line with US (and now Australia) FD terminals. Guessing FD finds it more cost effective to manufacture the terminals themselves.

The software on Australian FD terminals from what I’ve noticed is the exact same, so you guys already know what those look like.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
I ate dinner tonight at a place that uses Clover (I didn't think it was that popular in the UK, but there you go). The server even brought over the Clover Mobile for payment, too, and the receipt said "device verified" on it.

BTW, I think nearly every receipt I've managed to get so far this trip has some form of "device verified" on it. ^ Unfortunately, a significant number of places don't give you a receipt for contactless, so I can't 100% for sure say that every store supports CDCVM.
So how many times have you used your physical card?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IslesFan
So how many times have you used your physical card?
I used my Diners Club MC once so far (London Transport Museum), though since I had to sign the ticket anyway I doubt chip and signature/PIN would have mattered much. Cash another I'd say 3-4 times, excluding the occasional coin or two for the public restrooms. Apple Pay with my CSR for the rest (17 transactions).

Note that this doesn't include the hotel I'm currently in, but that's likely going to be a CNP transaction due to Marriott using the card in my profile. I did see some possibly wireless Verifone terminals at the front desk, however, so I'm tempted to "switch" my card at checkout to see if I can use contactless to pay for the room. (On the other hand, considering that every room reservation probably costs >£30 I'm not sure they even bothered to enable it.)

Also, I pre-ordered most train tickets online (namely Heathrow Express and GWR tickets to/from London), which likely contributed to the low physical card use. I may end up taking the train once more before leaving--which will possibly entail using the physical card in a ticket machine--so we'll see how that goes.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:15 am

The 20p charge will be illegal soon
Old Oct 28, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AllieKat
The 20p charge will be illegal soon
Eh, I might be willing to put up with it for truly excellent food. In any case, it won't matter soon anyway.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 1:15 pm

Village Inn does have chip with a Verifone customer facing pinpad but I haven't been into one to confirm contactless but it look like they do support it. ^ I will check it out very soon.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
Village Inn does have chip with a Verifone customer facing pinpad but I haven't been into one to confirm contactless but it look like they do support it. ^ I will check it out very soon.
Is that based on them being listed on the MC map or do they have stuff posted in-restaurant about Apple Pay, etc.?
Old Oct 29, 2017, 8:29 am

Is that based on them being listed on the MC map or do they have stuff posted in-restaurant about Apple Pay, etc.?
Many are on the MC contactless locator so yes that is why and I saw a receipt from there and it shows chip card info on it so like Ihop I'm sure they also support contactless. I haven't been into a Village Inn for a bit but I will soon visit one. At least they brought back the customer facing pinpads.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Visa's autumn rules update has set 13 April 2019 as the date that all contactless terminals in the US must have qVSDC (EMV mode) enabled. The rule for enabling qVSDC when EMV contact is enabled is still in effect.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D582
Visa's autumn rules update has set 13 April 2019 as the date that all contactless terminals in the US must have qVSDC (EMV mode) enabled. The rule for enabling qVSDC when EMV contact is enabled is still in effect.
More importantly:

Effective 14 October 2017
For an Acceptance Device installed or upgraded on or after 14 October 2017, make available to the Cardholder all Transaction interfaces supported by the Merchant.9 A Merchant with an Acceptance Device deployed as of 14 October 2017 that does not make all interfaces available may continue to deploy such an Acceptance Device if ADVT and, if applicable, CDET testing (or, in the Europe Region, Visa payWave Test Tool [VpTT]) was successfully completed on the hardware and software combination before 14 October 2017.
Unfortunately, I suspect a lot of US terminals will fall under that exemption for quite a while.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
More importantly:

Unfortunately, I suspect a lot of US terminals will fall under that exemption for quite a while.
That's not what that rule is referring to. What you quoted refers to a new requirement that merchant terminals must not require additional actions on the part of a cardholder or merchant to activate a particular interface that the merchant supports. Or in other words, when the merchant activates the terminal for a transaction, all interfaces that are supported (chip, tap, and/or swipe) must be available. It also doesn't apply when the merchant completes the transaction for the cardholder, but would apply to any device that the cardholder is expected to interact with.

More info here:

http://broadcast01p.visabroadcasts.c...d1eba04b/lonew

Also, in the context of contactless, the interface itself is 'contactless', and qVSDC and MSD are simply processing paths for the Visa kernel. The rules to support qVSDC are not overruled by or related in anyway to that requirement.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 6:43 pm

FYI, if you have Wells Fargo and you visit an ATM with this sticker on it, it has NFC. At the very bottom, it say NFC. I went to visit the ATM earlier and I figured that the machine was too new not to have NFC.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by PKCorey
FYI, if you have Wells Fargo and you visit an ATM with this sticker on it, it has NFC. At the very bottom, it say NFC. I went to visit the ATM earlier and I figured that the machine was too new not to have NFC.
Crews have been going around peeling those off.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D582
That's not what that rule is referring to. What you quoted refers to a new requirement that merchant terminals must not require additional actions on the part of a cardholder or merchant to activate a particular interface that the merchant supports. Or in other words, when the merchant activates the terminal for a transaction, all interfaces that are supported (chip, tap, and/or swipe) must be available. It also doesn't apply when the merchant completes the transaction for the cardholder, but would apply to any device that the cardholder is expected to interact with.

More info here:

http://broadcast01p.visabroadcasts.c...d1eba04b/lonew
So basically merchants can't do the "insert/swipe at any time" thing anymore if they also support contactless? (Assuming they don't support Quick Chip, of course.) There's still a significant number of merchants in the US who would likely be grandfathered, I'd think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.