Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2021, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by PrendellHiggins
Report them. Visa does not tolerate this stuff.
https://usa.visa.com/Forms/visa-rules.html
To whom do you report, and what do you think the outcome will be?
Old Aug 21, 2021, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I have frozen systems a couple of times when tapping. It's not a myth, rather frustrating for me and the staff.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
To whom do you report, and what do you think the outcome will be?
While it might not be as effective (or even effective at all) for foreign merchants, I think I did end up getting a US merchant to modify their practices by complaining once. Regardless, I would hope Visa is more able to rein in US merchants considering that it's a US company and all.

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I have frozen systems a couple of times when tapping. It's not a myth, rather frustrating for me and the staff.
Yeah, the software definitely isn't there at some places. While they did have like 6+ years to get it right, I do wonder if moving the original EMV liability shift back would have at least reduced the number of software issues.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 2:01 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
I did end up getting a US merchant to modify their practices by complaining once.
I certainly have had an effect on some merchants, especially ones that were enforcing a manager's policy to show ID in lieu of upgrading to EMV post October 2015. (The merchants were all fast food style restaurants.) Within weeks of my complaints the signs came down. I can't think that was a coincidence.

In my complaint to the payment networks each time I said, "Please remind the merchant that checking ID does not change the merchant's liability for a fraudulent transaction, but upgrading their payment systems to enable EMV transactions can provide better security for both the merchant and the customer."

You could indicate something similar along the lines of merchant education such as, "Giving customers additional payment methods such as contactless can speed up transaction times and reduce touch points during a card transaction."
Old Aug 29, 2021, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I ended up running into a Speedway Express here today. Surprisingly, there were no contactless readers outside, but EMV did work. Photo of the pump below:

Old Aug 29, 2021, 6:48 pm

I ended up running into a Speedway Express here today. Surprisingly, there were no contactless readers outside, but EMV did work. Photo of the pump below:

Surprised those vertical card readers can read EMV.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 6:55 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by jmmccarthy2002
Surprised those vertical card readers can read EMV.
They all can because they’re the same models sold in Canada. The software just wasn’t there for the US. However Gilbarco EOL’d a lot of the vertical readers right when the US was getting EMV at the pump, which is why we have a lot more of the horizontal Verifone ones.

Only the later model of the vertical readers can be used in the US, the ones sold right before the switch to the Verifone readers.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
They all can because they’re the same models sold in Canada. The software just wasn’t there for the US. However Gilbarco EOL’d a lot of the vertical readers right when the US was getting EMV at the pump, which is why we have a lot more of the horizontal Verifone ones.

Only the later model of the vertical readers can be used in the US, the ones sold right before the switch to the Verifone readers.
Ah ok. The Verifone UX400 contactless reader must not be able to piggyback off of this vertical EMV reader, hence why I've seen the larger UX410 paired with vertical units like this, which can operate on its own.

Interestingly, used one of the UX410s at a Circle K recently. Contactless MC declined, contactless Visa went through fine...
Old Aug 29, 2021, 9:19 pm

Contactless MC declined, contactless Visa went through fine...
That happens in a lot of places. Five Guys used to do this, but I think they finally fixed it.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 10:05 pm

Ah ok. The Verifone UX400 contactless reader must not be able to piggyback off of this vertical EMV reader, hence why I've seen the larger UX410 paired with vertical units like this, which can operate on its own.

Interestingly, used one of the UX410s at a Circle K recently. Contactless MC declined, contactless Visa went through fine...
That’s why I never was able to use my Apple Card with Apple Pay at Circle K. I wish they would fix it soon.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That’s why I never was able to use my Apple Card with Apple Pay at Circle K. I wish they would fix it soon.
I'm personally still amazed that places are still allowed to be MSD only. Granted, stores have been gradually switching over, but I would have thought that most gas stations would have gotten EMV contactless as soon as contact EMV started working.

On that note, I guess Shell is the only brand actually following that rule as contactless still doesn't work on their pumps (with the same "not supported" error as of today). I didn't go inside, though, so I'm not sure if they've at least turned EMV contactless on for the MX915s.

EDIT: Speedway followed that rule, too, as well as Vons/Safeway/etc.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 7:52 pm

I'm personally still amazed that places are still allowed to be MSD only. Granted, stores have been gradually switching over, but I would have thought that most gas stations would have gotten EMV contactless as soon as contact EMV started working.

On that note, I guess Shell is the only brand actually following that rule as contactless still doesn't work on their pumps (with the same "not supported" error as of today). I didn't go inside, though, so I'm not sure if they've at least turned EMV contactless on for the MX915s.

Yes it is EMV contactless inside the Shell store.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 10:41 pm

This issue with places like Circle K isn’t actually a MSD vs EMV issue. MasterCard supports MSD yet it is the one that declines. Visa which is only EMV contactless only goes through just fine. MasterCard doesn’t seem to care if you try to contact them either.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 6:20 am

Yes it is EMV contactless inside the Shell store.
Is pin forced via ctls debit, pin bypass allowed or does it just run as credit?
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by scibot
Is pin forced via ctls debit, pin bypass allowed or does it just run as credit?
Everything just runs as credit.
scibot likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.