Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2020, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
It looks like Safeway is jumping on the pointless proprietary payment system bandwagon. Notice the talk about Vons Pay in the app update description.

Looking at it, it seems that it links to a checking account. So really a modernized version of their old
VonsCheck system from the days before debit (as opposed to ATM) cards were common.

I’ll stick to NFC, thanks.
Considering how difficult it apparently is to do NFC loyalty--or even integrate a barcode/QR code into Wallet/Google Pay--I'd honestly be okay with it if it were possible just to use it for loyalty (and use something else for payment). Of course, they'd rather you used it for both if at all possible, but there might not be many people willing to go for that.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by tmiw
Considering how difficult it apparently is to do NFC loyalty--or even integrate a barcode/QR code into Wallet/Google Pay--I'd honestly be okay with it if it were possible just to use it for loyalty (and use something else for payment). Of course, they'd rather you used it for both if at all possible, but there might not be many people willing to go for that.
No, they have the QR loyalty now. Before they added the Pay option in the past few days, they offered a QR code for the loyalty information since earlier in the pandemic change. It is still an option if you Skip everything on the Pay and get to the Discount Code. You can take the screen shot into Wallet or Google Pay. However, I can't get the QR to work at SCO because I don't get access to a hand-held scanner option? Kroger still has the standard bar code as well in the app.

So, yes, you can use the QR loyalty then whatever payment method on top.

The main exception is those who are using the digital grocery service (pickup or delivery), the payment method becomes integrated.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed
No, they have the QR loyalty now. Before they added the Pay option in the past few days, they offered a QR code for the loyalty information since earlier in the pandemic change. It is still an option if you Skip everything on the Pay and get to the Discount Code. You can take the screen shot into Wallet or Google Pay. However, I can't get the QR to work at SCO because I don't get access to a hand-held scanner option? Kroger still has the standard bar code as well in the app.

So, yes, you can use the QR loyalty then whatever payment method on top.

The main exception is those who are using the digital grocery service (pickup or delivery), the payment method becomes integrated.
Good to know. I’ll have to check that out. The magstripe on my Vons Club card stopped working so I’ve had to use my phone number and since I only shop there sporadically I usually forget if I used my cell phone or landline number.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 10:40 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
Same with Acme in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast
That is okay. Safeway got the NFC going pretty well. They can humor themselves and try QR Code-based apps that hardly anyone will use all they want, given they accomplished the main order of business, getting NFC working, first. And don't forget they were about the first one to get that EMV working on their gas pumps too. Now that they have addressed the important things, they can address frivolous items like a QR code based Safeway Pay app. Unlike a number of other retailers, particularly the other two large retailers who are dominant in the grocery business and still do not support NFC except in one case in one Northwestern region, they had their priorities in the correct order.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 12:33 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
They want to promote app usage as much as possible because some of the deals are manufacturer's coupons, which the company profits from.

Requires an optical hand scanner to read. A deck scanner scale uses a laser, so it will not work at self checkouts.

Last edited by EmailKid; Oct 16, 2020 at 2:38 pm Reason: Let's leave the pandemic out of CC forum discussion
Old Oct 17, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The cashier at a gelato shop tapped my CSR on their Square reader tonight (which was facing her, of course). Better than not having contactless at all, of course, but it really should be customer facing.

Also, Dick's Sporting Goods is apparently using QC now (or possibly has for quite some time); there was a "confirm amount" type prompt after removing, followed by an immediate "approved" message on the display. The card read itself still took quite a while, though.

BTW, that weird Chevron here that uses Verifone inside and Wayne outside apparently supports EMV contactless for real now. The display said "insert or tap or swipe card" instead of (I think) just "insert or swipe", plus using Google Pay didn't need a signature this time. Still no EMV outside and presumably only MSD contactless when tapping. I'll also need to check tapping UNFCU next time to see if there's a PIN prompt. Here's the receipt for those curious:

Old Oct 17, 2020, 10:14 pm

BTW, that weird Chevron here that uses Verifone inside and Wayne outside apparently supports EMV contactless for real now. The display said "insert or tap or swipe card" instead of (I think) just "insert or swipe", plus using Google Pay didn't need a signature this time. Still no EMV outside and presumably only MSD contactless when tapping. I'll also need to check tapping UNFCU next time to see if there's a PIN prompt. Here's the receipt for those curious:
Nothing weird about that. Many Chevrons have that combination of equipment- in my area in NV almost all of the ones associated with Jacksons Food Stores have that combination of equipment. Some of the independent ones have Gilbarco Pumps and Gilbarco Passport register (those all used to use the Nucleus Register and most also previously has Wayne pumps).

Slowly, Jacksons is turning EMV on. So far I've found here in NV 2 of their Chevron sites and 1 of their Shell sites with the EMV turned on and this is a recent development in the past couple of weeks (Wayne pumps/Verifone registers). Many other locations with the same exact equipment have not turned the EMV on yet.

Also went to an Arco outside Sacramento (BP site) with EMV at the pump and EMV Contactless inside. This is one of those rare credit accepting CA Arcos. Read pretty quick then after card removal zip code prompt comes up. Identical behavior to the EMV on Wayne Pump with Verifone Register at Sinclair and ExxonMobil I think all of them (BP, Exxon, Sinclair) run payments through a First Data system so that First Data processing system seems to be the one pushing all these zip code prompts with the EMV at the pump while the various other EMV at the pump systems (Kroger, Safeway, Chevron, Speedway, Shell) do not have that zip code prompt at least yet.
Old Oct 18, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Looks like Dutch Bros finally has contactless. Via the form of PayPal Ingenico RP457 readers. Their custom iPad POS software communicated with the PayPal reader and I just tap.

Old Oct 19, 2020, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by storewanderer
Nothing weird about that. Many Chevrons have that combination of equipment- in my area in NV almost all of the ones associated with Jacksons Food Stores have that combination of equipment. Some of the independent ones have Gilbarco Pumps and Gilbarco Passport register (those all used to use the Nucleus Register and most also previously has Wayne pumps).
I should clarify--the UI on the MX915 looks closer to Arco's UI than what's on most other Chevrons that I've seen around here (which have contactless disabled until the cashier pushes something on their end, among other differences).

Anyway, still no NFC payment at Costco other than the keyfob, but they're now indicating that the barcode scanner isn't working (despite actually emitting red light):

Old Oct 19, 2020, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And in a case of particularly bad timing, it looks like Costco is now beginning the EMV and contactless rollout at their pumps: https://www.reddit.com/r/Costco/comm...ve_at_the_gas/. Maybe next time I go fill up there, it'll be enabled (though I'm honestly surprised the one I went to yesterday didn't have it already as it's occasionally a test location for stuff, especially since they were already testing Costco Pay there).
Old Oct 20, 2020, 4:21 pm

I finally found a Maverik with EMV at the pump. This Maverik has Wayne pumps and previously had an in-pump NFC reader and the typical Wayne EMV reader (like Kroger/Safeway use). Now the pump tore that stuff out and installed a MAGTEK card reader, keypad which is like an angled keyboard, and MAGTEK NFC reader. I have not seen this gas pump equipment before.

Oddly the other area Maveriks all use Gilbarco pumps and have just recently torn the guts out of the card readers and installed new Verifone EMV readers and Verifone NFC readers. So not sure why this site went with MAGTEK. I have not been to this MAGTEK site in over a year so I have no clue how long they've been running this system maybe it has been in place a while.

The EMV reads the card quickly, after about 3 seconds, and goes into a different font/background while doing so on the screen. Then it releases the card. Then it goes back to the screen's standard (idle) font and background and asks for loyalty card. Then it asks for zip code. So again Maverik has gone around the typical EMV process and patched on a zip code prompt at the end after the EMV process is done. Pathetic and should be ended.

The EMV Contactless works the same as the old MSD Contactless worked (no zip code prompt).

Receipts show only AID and no other EMV information.
I was at a Maverik back in August and it had those old Wayne readers sans the ctls readers. Well that same Maverik finally added those Magtek chip and contactless readers. I had to get my receipt inside which has all the chip info on it but I can confirm they do in fact support EMV contactless at the pump. The global AID is used and no cvm is used instead of cdcvm. The messaging on the screen is very confusing and told me twice to not forget to pay inside even though I paid at the pump. Also it seems that inside Maverik have gotten rid of the pin debit prompt on Visa debit cards via contactless and it now uses no cvm. Still the bugs are really bad as the first time I visited contactless was flawless but the 2nd time it was broken and froze up the whole pinpad. I switched to a self checkout and I tapped and it got stuck on Adventure Club Card and Debit Entered and the cashier had to come and back out of the finish and pay button and press it again and it finally went through. I'm guessing it has to do with the loyalty card being buggy. At least there is no pin prompt anymore on contactless..

Anyway, still no NFC payment at Costco other than the keyfob, but they're now indicating that the barcode scanner isn't working (despite actually emitting red light):
Same at both of my local Costco gas stations as of yesterday but I'm sure its still rolling out. I will go check next week and see if it has changed or not.
Old Oct 20, 2020, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, I saw a mention of Love's enabling EMV and contactless outside too. I know of one around here so it might be worth checking soon.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:38 am

BTW, I saw a mention of Love's enabling EMV and contactless outside too. I know of one around here so it might be worth checking soon.
Love's, Pilot/Flying J, and Costco all use the same system for their pay at the pump so it makes sense they are all enabling at the same time...

Casey's also uses that system...
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by scibot
I was at a Maverik back in August and it had those old Wayne readers sans the ctls readers. Well that same Maverik finally added those Magtek chip and contactless readers. I had to get my receipt inside which has all the chip info on it but I can confirm they do in fact support EMV contactless at the pump. The global AID is used and no cvm is used instead of cdcvm. The messaging on the screen is very confusing and told me twice to not forget to pay inside even though I paid at the pump..
Yeah I went to Maverik with Chip at a different location (Gilbarco pumps with the Verifone readers) and ran a few trials. Tried PIN Debit Card via chip reader. I kept inserting card and it kept telling me to remove card quickly then see cashier. If I pressed cancel it immediately reset to the start screen. Eventually it held the card in and read chip and let me enter PIN or press enter to bypass but that message flashed on the screen for about 2 seconds then the screen went totally blank before I could respond on the keypad. Press enter to bypass resulted in a card release then loyalty card prompt then zip code prompt to which I entered 55555 and pressed enter and it went to "remove nozzle" so not even sure they check the zip code or maybe on the global debit AID that does not work so it approves regardless what you enter. Anyway, after that tried a second transaction this time again I had to insert and remove the card about 8 times before it finally held in the reader and then when I saw the enter PIN or press enter to bypass message flash on the screen then disappear I entered the PIN and that let the card release then loyalty prompt then remove nozzle prompt.

Such a screwed up system- at least they have the EMV Contactless working, that is all I will give them.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 2:26 am

Love's, Pilot/Flying J, and Costco all use the same system for their pay at the pump so it makes sense they are all enabling at the same time...

Casey's also uses that system...
Interesting and are you 100% sure as that is an NCR Retalix system. Only Love's has ctls and chip working at the pump widely. Love's is also adding Flex Pay IV to all locations now as well as my local location had the older Gilbarco chip readers and now has IV. Clts at the pump at Love's is still msd only and I wonder if it's the same at Costco gas stations? EMV and contactless seems to still be rolling out as neither of my Costco gas locations have it yet. Casey's and Pilot on the other hand only have blinking ctls readers at the pump so they are dead and no EMV yet either.

Yeah I went to Maverik with Chip at a different location (Gilbarco pumps with the Verifone readers) and ran a few trials. Tried PIN Debit Card via chip reader. I kept inserting card and it kept telling me to remove card quickly then see cashier. If I pressed cancel it immediately reset to the start screen. Eventually it held the card in and read chip and let me enter PIN or press enter to bypass but that message flashed on the screen for about 2 seconds then the screen went totally blank before I could respond on the keypad. Press enter to bypass resulted in a card release then loyalty card prompt then zip code prompt to which I entered 55555 and pressed enter and it went to "remove nozzle" so not even sure they check the zip code or maybe on the global debit AID that does not work so it approves regardless what you enter. Anyway, after that tried a second transaction this time again I had to insert and remove the card about 8 times before it finally held in the reader and then when I saw the enter PIN or press enter to bypass message flash on the screen then disappear I entered the PIN and that let the card release then loyalty prompt then remove nozzle prompt.

Such a screwed up system- at least they have the EMV Contactless working, that is all I will give them.
Woah chip is far worse at the pump at Maverik then contactless is. For sure its so horrible the poor employees who have to deal with it..

Last edited by scibot; Oct 21, 2020 at 2:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.