Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:25 am

Well it seems QuikTrip is rolling out contactless readers to their pumps as we speak according to them on Twitter. They use a custom POS system and Flex Pay IV without the contactless readers previously so that is probably the contactless readers that they will be adding. Not sure what they will do about locations with old pumps though it should be interesting to see. I wonder if contactless at the pump will be EMV contactless especially since QT was one of the first gas stations I saw with EMV contactless inside.
PKCorey likes this.

Last edited by scibot; Oct 5, 2020 at 2:02 am
Old Oct 5, 2020, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Dollar Tree's contactless has issues with MC debit; my card declined when I tried to use it last night (with PIN). My Visa CC, of course, worked fine, and it's possible MC debit without PIN would have worked too.

Also, still no contactless at Michaels or Walmart, but that's not a huge surprise I think.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Dollar Tree's contactless has issues with MC debit; my card declined when I tried to use it last night (with PIN). My Visa CC, of course, worked fine, and it's possible MC debit without PIN would have worked too.

Also, still no contactless at Michaels or Walmart, but that's not a huge surprise I think.
Can you check and see if Dollar Tree supports msd or emv contactless? We'll see if Costco finally enables contactless at the pump.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Walmart have just started rolling out contactless here in Canada, so fingers crossed the US is next (although MasterCard mandated that new terminals in Canada are contactless, so they basically had too when they replaced their terminals). Both Walmart and Michaels are some of the very last merchants not to have contactless in Canada. Since the limit increase to $250 for contactless payments, I've seen people who have quite obviously forgotten their PINs when in Walmart as they basically tap for 100% of transactions (except in Walmart).
Old Oct 5, 2020, 6:11 pm

JOANN still doesn't have it either. And I thought it was funny, just a few days ago I got a targeted ad on Twitter from IBM that went into detail about how they collaborated with the retailer to help update their systems due to COVID, but of course they still won't do perhaps the simplest thing which would be to enable contactless on terminals that already inherently support it.

Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:40 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by reclusive46
Walmart have just started rolling out contactless here in Canada, so fingers crossed the US is next (although MasterCard mandated that new terminals in Canada are contactless, so they basically had too when they replaced their terminals). Both Walmart and Michaels are some of the very last merchants not to have contactless in Canada. Since the limit increase to $250 for contactless payments, I've seen people who have quite obviously forgotten their PINs when in Walmart as they basically tap for 100% of transactions (except in Walmart).
Are they still using the iSC250? Can you record it?
Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by scibot
We'll see if Costco finally enables contactless at the pump.
Is there any possible indication as to whether they are doing it?
Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you check and see if Dollar Tree supports msd or emv contactless?
Fairly sure it's EMV contactless as I got a PIN prompt with my UNFCU credit card the very first time I was able to tap there.

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Walmart have just started rolling out contactless here in Canada, so fingers crossed the US is next (although MasterCard mandated that new terminals in Canada are contactless, so they basically had too when they replaced their terminals).
FWIW, Quick Chip came back as of my last visit the other day (or possibly never disappeared; I don't go there often enough to know for sure).

Originally Posted by PrendellHiggins
JOANN still doesn't have it either.
Have they announced any sort of plan at all? I remember hearing something about Michaels planning on doing it at one point but it could have easily been something else they'd have been able to claim as "contactless" (like curbside pickup or something similar to Kroger's Scan & Go).

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Not sure about Canada but where I live I've seen no indication thus far they were swapping anything out. The Lane/7000 would be the most likely candidate if they are/were, however.

Also, keep in mind that they don't strictly need to swap anything out just to enable contactless. After all, 7-Eleven does it fine with their iSC250s.

Originally Posted by Barciur
Is there any possible indication as to whether [Costco] are doing [contactless at the pump]?
I still think it's coming but it might be after contact EMV gets enabled. Else, why use the Verifone readers when they could have possibly installed something proprietary like what ExxonMobil did back in the day? (Assuming there still were non-payment capable readers available for sale, that is.)

Also, even if the Verifone readers are/were the only option, you'd think Costco Pay would be at way more locations by now if that's what they were going with. Haven't they been testing Costco Pay for like a year or something? I forget exactly when it first came out to know for sure.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went to the newly opened Raising Cane's tonight and surprisingly, they finally enabled EMV. They made the Lane/3000s customer facing, too, with "WE ACCEPT TAP TO PAY" in large letters on the FreedomPay firmware they're running. I'm going to say they're another place that only started officially accepting it due to COVID.

(Note: I'll need to go back again and determine how contact EMV works there. Tapping a Visa card worked fine, though, albeit with no info on the receipt.)
Old Oct 5, 2020, 10:06 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Another restaurant got table side payments! Yay!

It’s a small restaurant called Gurley St Cafe. They used Upserve tablets (similar to toast tab), when the server came I just used my Apple Pay on the back of her device. Then she handed me the terminal to tip and leave an electronic signature....even though I used contactless.

The server said they just got it a few days ago and so far they love them. I hope this trend continues.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 11:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
There lane7000 terminals. I’ll get a video next time I’m at Walmart.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 10:54 am

I went to the newly opened Raising Cane's tonight and surprisingly, they finally enabled EMV. They made the Lane/3000s customer facing, too, with "WE ACCEPT TAP TO PAY" in large letters on the FreedomPay firmware they're running. I'm going to say they're another place that only started officially accepting it due to COVID.

(Note: I'll need to go back again and determine how contact EMV works there. Tapping a Visa card worked fine, though, albeit with no info on the receipt.)
Well I used contactless at Raising Canes back in February 2020 right before the pandemic got well known and maybe they were a test location as they already had both EMV and contactless enabled but as we all know the pinpad was facing the cashier. They had no issues with me paying that way but it was brand new so the cashier did ask the manager if they had it and of course they did and everyone was super nice at that corporate Raising Canes. My local franchised Raising Canes still does not have pinpads at all though. I'm glad they put them facing the pinpad towards the customer as tapping a pinpad facing the cashier was a bit awkward.

Fairly sure it's EMV contactless as I got a PIN prompt with my UNFCU credit card the very first time I was able to tap there.
Well there is zero EMV info when you tap at Dollar Tree which its very odd. Not the only NCR place that doesn't show chip info when tapped though.

Originally Posted by Barciur
Is there any possible indication as to whether they are doing it?
A source on Reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ApplePay/co...tco_gas_pumps/ but I will believe it when I see it. They have had the hardware for years now its just normal Flex Pay IV seen at many stations with working contactless. Many places in Colorado that have chip at the pump still have contactless MSD at the pump so even if they got chip I'd expect contactless to still be MSD. Of course that is with Passport and I have no idea what system Costco uses for the pumps. The receipts you get from the pumps look nothing like anything I've seen elsewhere.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I used contactless at Raising Canes back in February 2020 right before the pandemic got well known and maybe they were a test location as they already had both EMV and contactless enabled but as we all know the pinpad was facing the cashier. They had no issues with me paying that way but it was brand new so the cashier did ask the manager if they had it and of course they did and everyone was super nice at that corporate Raising Canes. My local franchised Raising Canes still does not have pinpads at all though. I'm glad they put them facing the pinpad towards the customer as tapping a pinpad facing the cashier was a bit awkward.
I'm fairly sure the other one I had been going to (also corporate) had contactless for a while, just no EMV. It was never promoted, though, which made me think they didn't want people using it at that time.

Still, it's good they're finally doing it officially, even if it did seem like they did it mainly due to the pandemic (albeit coincidentally).

Well there is zero EMV info when you tap at Dollar Tree which its very odd. Not the only NCR place that doesn't show chip info when tapped though.
Still not sure how it's legit to do that when AID at minimum is supposed to be shown per EMVco, but eh.

A source on Reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ApplePay/co...tco_gas_pumps/ but I will believe it when I see it. They have had the hardware for years now its just normal Flex Pay IV seen at many stations with working contactless. Many places in Colorado that have chip at the pump still have contactless MSD at the pump so even if they got chip I'd expect contactless to still be MSD. Of course that is with Passport and I have no idea what system Costco uses for the pumps. The receipts you get from the pumps look nothing like anything I've seen elsewhere.
I would expect /r/costco to have had mentioned something if there was an announcement officially sent out to employees but I didn't see anything there as of last night. We'll have to see if anything gets posted there soon.

Also, Costco is getting EMV (and maybe contactless) at the pump late enough that it's probably not possible for them to do MSD contactless even if they wanted. Hence why they might do only contact EMV initially if they can't get EMV contactless implemented quickly enough.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
The Maggiano's restaurant chain now does the pay at the table by QR code thing that seems to be gaining in popularity. I'm OK with this approach, it keeps the card in your wallet.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I had been doing so many app and other CNP transactions in recent months, that I forgot about some of the in-person use problems that I have been having in the past. Sadly, they haven't gone away.

My current example is I still get failure (transaction declined) on MC credit tap at In N Out (also a few other places like Krispy Kreme too). I think this has been happening since In N Out offered tap. I have to try the card again via chip to get it to go through. I know it is not my tap because I then try it a few minutes later at a Toast box via tap, and it works just fine. Such a disappointment. Is MC credit (physical card not mobile wallet) tap working for anyone out there at this chain?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.