Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
While those of us outside the three pilot cities wait for contactless Bank of America cards, I noticed this new feature today. Anyone know exactly how it works - what makes it different from regular tapping?

I'm not sure if the behavior is identical for other wallets, but on Apple Pay, Express Transit is a mode that allows you to pick a card where if it detects that you're trying to tap in/on for transit (supported agencies only) that it will process without fingerprint, face, or passcode needed so that you're not standing at the reader trying to pick a card and then authenticate with your fingerprint/face/passcode before tapping
Old Oct 19, 2019, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Apparently TJMaxx now has official mobile wallet signage in store: https://appleosophy.com/2019/10/19/t...retail-stores/

Last edited by tmiw; Oct 19, 2019 at 7:31 pm Reason: silly phone autocorrect
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by diburning
I'm not sure if the behavior is identical for other wallets, but on Apple Pay, Express Transit is a mode that allows you to pick a card where if it detects that you're trying to tap in/on for transit (supported agencies only) that it will process without fingerprint, face, or passcode needed so that you're not standing at the reader trying to pick a card and then authenticate with your fingerprint/face/passcode before tapping
Found this link for Sydney the other day: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/m...-transit-card/

Wonder if it’s the same thing.
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by IslesFan
Found this link for Sydney the other day: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/m...-transit-card/

Wonder if it’s the same thing.
It will be nice as more and more places adopt this since I've found myself having way too many of these prepaid transit cards over the years. Opal was an improvement before mobile payments/contactless on US credit cards because the ticket vending machines even when EFTPOS was finally enabled only accepted offline PIN. Only my Barclay card would work.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:21 pm

Okay so Phillips 66 Commander locations with Gilbarco pumps with Flex Pay IV now has contactless working at the pump I tested at a U-Stop today where I previously used it on their older pumps at a different location that was retrofitted. So the certs finally came through and its still msd only and no chip at the pump.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's an interesting idle screen that I saw the other night. Usually stores wait to print instructions until after the cashier actually activates the terminal:

(The guy in front of me tapped what looked like a Citi Costco card, so I'm guessing EMV contactless works. Nothing printed on the receipt indicating that for me, though.)
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:01 pm

Google Pay had another "phantom" purchase again. I used my Capital One card to pay for dinner but the purchase does not show up in the history. Semi annoying.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by PKCorey
Google Pay had another "phantom" purchase again. I used my Capital One card to pay for dinner but the purchase does not show up in the history. Semi annoying.
That happens a lot. I'm not sure why, and it's always the same places. I know it's not a MSD issue because I've had gas station transactions which I know are MSD show up in the log. Sometimes it will even appear twice if I'm using a Mastercard.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by ateng
To add to the complexity that is Hmart PNW, I stopped by a brand new location in downtown Seattle and they use a completely different terminal (Pax px7) and processor (Fides Bankcard). I tapped (once!) a MC and it appears to be MSD contactless rather than EMV contactless at the other locations where you have to tap twice with the MX915s. Perhaps they plan on migrating all stores to this setup?
I found a different H Mart over here that has a different setup. I think it is one of the regular Verifone terminals you see at every other supermarket these days. Contactless was enabled but didn't work for me. Tried it twice but inserted the third time as it occurred to me it was the method that wasn't working. Never had an issue anywhere until then. Seems maybe they are not very standardized with their systems so probably explains weirdness on their part. Very comprehensive international market though and surprising they opened two in relatively close proximity to each other (at least down here.)
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by LoveClassicMusic0205
That happens a lot. I'm not sure why, and it's always the same places. I know it's not a MSD issue because I've had gas station transactions which I know are MSD show up in the log. Sometimes it will even appear twice if I'm using a Mastercard.
Hmm, this was a Mastercard as well. This about the 3 or 4th time that my phone hasn't registered the purchase on the device. I've never had a double purchase appear though.

Hell, I just want the purchase alert G to return to my notification bars.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoveClassicMusic0205
FWIW, I've never had issues with my MC debit card's transactions not showing up in the Google Pay app if they were actually approved. Declined ones are a different story, though, depending on who declined (either locally or by the issuer).

Originally Posted by HotelHacker
I found a different H Mart over here that has a different setup. I think it is one of the regular Verifone terminals you see at every other supermarket these days. Contactless was enabled but didn't work for me. Tried it twice but inserted the third time as it occurred to me it was the method that wasn't working. Never had an issue anywhere until then. Seems maybe they are not very standardized with their systems so probably explains weirdness on their part. Very comprehensive international market though and surprising they opened two in relatively close proximity to each other (at least down here.)
I think they use a standard setup everywhere but in the PNW. In my experience, the standard setup doesn't like MC contactless (even with Apple/Google Pay) but IIRC Visa works fine. Though to be fair, it might be some weird debit thing too like with Costco (I haven't tried with MC credit yet).
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So yeah, I'm guessing we're not going to see vending machine readers that have EMV contactless but no contact EMV support. Especially since it looks like there are versions with chip slots becoming more common (example below).

(Interestingly, there was a "$2 to start" label near the cash accepter, so this in effect has a $5 minimum.)

Last edited by tmiw; Oct 21, 2019 at 7:12 pm
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Raising Canes Corporate Owned location seems to support Contactless on their cashier facing pinpads at the location I went to today (same new NCR/Radiant registers as the other one...). It said "slide or tap card" on the screen facing the cashier. The cashier refused to allow me to tap and said it has to be swiped and "she has to swipe it."
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Raising Canes Corporate Owned location seems to support Contactless on their cashier facing pinpads at the location I went to today (same new NCR/Radiant registers as the other one...). It said "slide or tap card" on the screen facing the cashier. The cashier refused to allow me to tap and said it has to be swiped and "she has to swipe it."
Oh great we are going to have even more “dumb” of course facing the wrong way.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Oh great we are going to have even more “dumb” of course facing the wrong way.
I am reporting this to Visa as improper Contactless acceptance practice as well as contacting Raising Canes. I am done with this type of thing. It is one wrong thing to have the pinpad cashier facing. It is another wrong thing to outright refuse a Contactless transaction on a Contactless enabled device.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.