Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Most Asian buffets are Pay at front. I’m sure they were only taking cards away as a “courtesy”
Sure, but any additional acceptance is a good thing. I'm not sure contactless will ever be accepted widely at restaurants, though--or if it is, it'll really only be contactless cards as servers will just tap for customers. Hopefully I'm pleasantly surprised and pay at the table (or even pay at the front) becomes way more common over the next few years.

Last edited by tmiw; Aug 14, 2018 at 10:12 pm Reason: forgot a couple words
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Speaking of people tapping for customers, I hear that's happening pretty often at Costco now for those with the Citi card. Not that that's ideal, mind you, but maybe it'll help show people how it's done for when they want to use it elsewhere.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by ateng
First time poster, but long time reader! In Seattle, H Mart uses the exact same terminals/system as Colorado and contactless is also broken. In fact, the first green light is typically never lit. However, in Georgia, H Mart uses Index with (I think) 2 second Quick Chip and MX925s. Also, both locations use different loyalty programs that are not recognized by each other. Not sure why they are different, but they are.
As the cherry on this sundae, last time I tried using my Amex in Samsung Pay at Bellevue, it came up Card Error.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those planning a trip to Walt Disney World: https://wdwnt.com/2018/08/credit-car...-disney-world/
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Theme parks

Originally Posted by tmiw
For those planning a trip to Walt Disney World: https://wdwnt.com/2018/08/credit-car...-disney-world/
I could be wrong, but for awhile many of the food and retail establishments in the California Disney parks had chip and tap enabled on the new terminals. Recently, all of the customer-facing terminals have been swipe only in the parks that I have seen (were degraded). Samsung Pay was okay. I don't remember if ticket booths are still swipe only (which what they are doing is asking for picture ID to try and "reduce" their liability of fraud), but there is definitely nothing customer facing there as they swipe many millions of dollars a day.

I am looking forward to tapping my Capital One Savor contactless card there now that it went 4% on food and entertainment (or will use my Samsung Pay MSD if I have to). At Disney, that will work for ticket booth and all food locations including outdoor vending carts. Retail stores won't be as useful as they have a different category code. At Universal fwiw, all retail and food are all categorized under the theme park MCC which is great. Tap works practically everywhere as they did a mass upgrade everywhere and enabled the green lights.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by rasheed
I could be wrong, but for awhile many of the food and retail establishments in the California Disney parks had chip and tap enabled on the new terminals. Recently, all of the customer-facing terminals have been swipe only in the parks that I have seen (were degraded). Samsung Pay was okay. I don't remember if ticket booths are still swipe only (which what they are doing is asking for picture ID to try and "reduce" their liability of fraud), but there is definitely nothing customer facing there as they swipe many millions of dollars a day.

I am looking forward to tapping my Capital One Savor contactless card there now that it went 4% on food and entertainment (or will use my Samsung Pay MSD if I have to). At Disney, that will work for ticket booth and all food locations including outdoor vending carts. Retail stores won't be as useful as they have a different category code. At Universal fwiw, all retail and food are all categorized under the theme park MCC which is great. Tap works practically everywhere as they did a mass upgrade everywhere and enabled the green lights.
Disneyland has had EMV contactless for like a year now Worked great everywhere in the park last October.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're going to the US Open, AmEx is apparently giving out contactless wristbands: https://www.usopen.org/en_US/visit/a..._benefits.html
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I'm not sure Buffalo Wild Wings even has pay at the table. Went there tonight and the server took our cards away and brought them back. Additionally, there appeared to be iPP350s plugged into their POS stations.

Anyway, here are some photos of the tablets. I didn't pay for games or anything with it though so I can't comment on how well the contactless or EMV work.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:24 am

So I'm not sure Buffalo Wild Wings even has pay at the table. Went there tonight and the server took our cards away and brought them back. Additionally, there appeared to be iPP350s plugged into their POS stations.

Anyway, here are some photos of the tablets. I didn't pay for games or anything with it though so I can't comment on how well the contactless or EMV work.
Those are the new Buzztime tablets, nice and yes iPP350's for the cashier stations but they also use iSC250's up front and everything is enabled on everything. You can have them use your cards at the iPP350's or walk up front to pay on the iSC250's. Here is a video of 7-Eleven ctls:
and yeah I see the Apple Pay logo in the left bottom corner so the location I went did not have it yet it seems.

Last edited by scibot; Aug 16, 2018 at 7:32 am
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: Skymiles

Have you tried using those to pay? Perhaps like Applebee’s they weren’t enabled yet. Just deployed.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Have you tried using those to pay? Perhaps like Applebee’s they weren’t enabled yet. Just deployed.
Everything's probably enabled on the tablets for games, but considering that you have to ask the server for the tablet, I'm not sure there's an option for paying for food. Might be worth checking out next time (albeit that might be a while).
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:15 pm

Contactless at Costco doesn’t seem to work with debit cards. It immediately triggers an Invalid PIN error.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
Contactless at Costco doesn’t seem to work with debit cards. It immediately triggers an Invalid PIN error.
I’ll try it. Hopefully that’ll work for me.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
With both Visa and MC debit cards?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:36 pm

Attempted to use Samsung pay via MST at Home Depot self check out and the terminal declined the transaction. I used Samsung at Home Depot successfully two weeks ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.