Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 19, 19, 12:06 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: storewanderer
Wiki Link
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Annes Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 9, 18, 1:34 am

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
I used to think the fear bit was the most important factor, but considering that the cards never became widespread, I'm not so sure. For instance, a lot of cashiers had no idea that it's possible to tap cards until I try it.

More likely IMO is that it wasn't worth the trouble before due to low merchant acceptance. And I suspect that Capital One, etc. still wouldn't have considered them post-EMV if it weren't for Apple.
I've said it many times but I can use the NFC at many places. Low merchant acceptance may have been true 5 years ago (back when Chase discontinued it on their US cards) but that is straight up bull at this point. Probably 80-90% of my purchases. The main holdouts are Kroger, Wal Mart, CVS, and Target... and sit-down restaurants. Pretty much everywhere else I go with any regularity, I can use the NFC.
Old Jun 9, 18, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by storewanderer View Post
I've said it many times but I can use the NFC at many places. Low merchant acceptance may have been true 5 years ago (back when Chase discontinued it on their US cards) but that is straight up bull at this point. Probably 80-90% of my purchases. The main holdouts are Kroger, Wal Mart, CVS, and Target... and sit-down restaurants. Pretty much everywhere else I go with any regularity, I can use the NFC.
That's the thing though--I think there was an acceptance by everyone involved before that the US simply won't have contactless payment. It was pretty reasonable to conclude that, too, since it was tried before and it failed.

Then Apple came along and "popularized" NFC. There's still not much use by customers, but now it's not so simple for merchants and issuers to just not bother with it in at least some form. (Though since the cards failed before, most are still reluctant to try them again. Especially since they're already having difficulty getting people to tap their phones.)
Old Jun 9, 18, 5:44 pm

Went to Wal-Mart earlier and the guy in front of me was paying with Samsung Pay. He couldn't get it to work so I told him where to place the phone and it would work. It works...

I go to check out and the same advice fails for me. LOL.
Old Jun 9, 18, 10:20 pm

Sprouts now uses EMV Contactless. No CVM information on the receipt.
Old Jun 10, 18, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It'd be nice to have, of course, but realistically I'm not sure it matters much to see CDCVM being used when signature isn't required anymore.

Also, maybe it's being hidden for smaller purchases?
Old Jun 10, 18, 2:41 am

Does it show AID info etc as I have seen NCR with EMV contactless on the Supervalu system before which uses similar system to Sprouts and Fresh Thyme.
Old Jun 10, 18, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just realized something: if Sprouts has EMV contactless now, does that mean they have Quick Chip too? Or did they disable the contactless reader until after totaling?
Old Jun 10, 18, 1:02 pm

I just realized something: if Sprouts has EMV contactless now, does that mean they have Quick Chip too? Or did they disable the contactless reader until after totaling?
I didn't use it until after it was totaled... the reader behaved the same as always, authorization time was the same as always, but my transactions there are small and I was the only person checking out at the time.

It looks identical to the Supervalu EMV Contactless receipt. So this probably means a ton of other grocery stores will soon get this EMV Contactless too who are on that same processing system: Save Mart, Raleys, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc.
Old Jun 10, 18, 5:24 pm

Well did you use a debit card so it says us common debit? I know it asked for a pin by allowed bypass even with EMV contactless at a SuperValu owned store but I used my MC credit card and I believe it used CDCVM since it did not ask for a pin and said "PIN VERIFIED" the former said "ISSUER" or no cvm. Sprouts could say none of this as I've seen NCR places that show nothing as well such as Kum & Go.
Like these receipts right: https://imgur.com/BddTgAh and https://imgur.com/tqs2HsF and with the two pieces of paper? Of course this was a test version so the two pieces of paper can become one with a more final version of the software.
Old Jun 10, 18, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't use it until after it was totaled... the reader behaved the same as always, authorization time was the same as always, but my transactions there are small and I was the only person checking out at the time.
Hmm, might be worth investigating. I was under the impression that either QC would need to be enabled or NFC (and likely EMV/swipe per Visa rules) would need to be disabled until after totaling.

Anyway, saw this at a brand new location of another car wash chain today. No idea if EMV's supported but contactless did work (albeit with nothing indicating that it was used on the receipt).

(The text says "hold phone over oval above"; here's a bigger version.)

Additionally, Batteries + Bulbs now has EMV and contactless; a previous visit was swipe-only on their iSC480s. No contactless logo over where the reader is, but had no issues thanks to previous experience at Best Buy. Receipt says "contactless chip swipe" and required signature, so likely MSD only.
Old Jun 10, 18, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, TK E+, AS MVPG, SPG&Marriott Plat, HHD, Hertz PC
ive been successfully using the nfc chip on my amex card at Target for over a year now. CVS seems to have enabled the chip like walgreens but they never authorize and it prompts you to insert the chip
Old Jun 10, 18, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdbe View Post
ive been successfully using the nfc chip on my amex card at Target for over a year now. CVS seems to have enabled the chip like walgreens but they never authorize and it prompts you to insert the chip
CVS has had NFC disabled altogether for a while and I'm fairly sure that Target never enabled it. I suppose it's possible that you live in a pilot location, however.
Old Jun 10, 18, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by mdbe View Post

How do you get the NFC to work at Target? Maybe you found a test location.

Do you wait until the transaction is totaled or? Is there any indication on the screen that they support NFC (four circles one of which is green, etc.)?
Old Jun 11, 18, 6:52 am

Anyway, saw this at a brand new location of another car wash chain today. No idea if EMV's supported but contactless did work (albeit with nothing indicating that it was used on the receipt).

(The text says "hold phone over oval above"; here's a bigger version.)
New car wash near me has exact same graphic. Think it's the pay station manufacturer (DRB).
Old Jun 11, 18, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MASTERNC View Post
New car wash near me has exact same graphic. Think it's the pay station manufacturer (DRB).
Their public website doesn't seem to have anything on contactless. Either it's really new or details like EMV and contactless are on some client-only website.

Search this Thread