Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 19, 19, 12:06 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: storewanderer
Wiki Link
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Annes Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 7, 18, 9:43 pm

ShopKo's self checkout system even has contactless enabled but it did not read as well as the manned lanes and they use the older u-scan software and hardware. Just like how Kroger used to do it with their own Toshiba software. The MX925 looks exactly the same as the manned check stands.

Also this place called Orange Leaf (https://www.orangeleafyogurt.com/) now uses Verifone Point on MX915 with only tap and swipe enabled and has a no chip sign in the chip slot but ctls works just fine.
Old Jun 7, 18, 11:06 pm

Much to my surprise, this restaurant/pastry shop in my area still does pay at the table with their cordless Ingenico terminals. Unfortunately, the customer service hasn't really improved since last time.
Old Jun 8, 18, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by emmanuel_t View Post
Much to my surprise, this restaurant/pastry shop in my area still does pay at the table with their cordless Ingenico terminals. Unfortunately, the customer service hasn't really improved since last time.
I forget if this was mentioned before, but did you have to add tip during authorization? If so, that might be why they haven't gone the "take cards away" route yet.
Old Jun 8, 18, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
I'm using a Gear S3 with a OnePlus 6, actually. Never liked TouchWiz--even its newer implementations--plus I wanted dual SIM without having to deal with much hassle. It does seem to be less streamlined than if I were to use Samsung Pay on a phone; I have to long-press the top button followed by scrolling through cards and tapping the "Pay" button on the display. (Not to mention the setup hassles that required me to manually download the Samsung Pay APK since the Gear app refused to.)

Also, I kinda figured it was something related to how close I was holding the watch. I tried again at Target today with the watch held much closer to the corner of the MX925 and it went through. Unfortunately magstripe processing at Target apparently got slower as well when they moved to EMV, but it's still not nearly as slow as the latter.

As for Walmart, I saw some stuff online that was mentioning that it's the iSC250 that's to blame for Samsung Pay issues, which concerns me because that means I might have issues at 7-Eleven too. Have you run into any issues there?
Aww, I forgot, you said the watch not the phone. Sorry. About as annoying as using Android Pay on my watch.

I went to a Walmart that had been remodeled and upgraded to the MX925 and no issues. First pulse of the MST and it was accepted vs the leave & hold method for the isc250.

No 7-11's in my state so I haven't had the chance to test it there.
Old Jun 8, 18, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Aww, I forgot, you said the watch not the phone. Sorry. About as annoying as using Android Pay on my watch.

I went to a Walmart that had been remodeled and upgraded to the MX925 and no issues. First pulse of the MST and it was accepted vs the leave & hold method for the isc250.

No 7-11's in my state so I haven't had the chance to test it there.
I'll have to try 7-Eleven when there aren't any other customers in the store. Of course, since I also try to use the 7-Eleven app for loyalty rewards, it's a bit awkward to switch between the phone and watch.

As for the watch itself, I feel like it'd be less annoying if it was enabled for just NFC payments by long-pressing the button. (MST likely still needs the additional confirmation because of how it works.)
Old Jun 8, 18, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
I forget if this was mentioned before, but did you have to add tip during authorization? If so, that might be why they haven't gone the "take cards away" route yet.
Yes, I had to select my tip before presenting payment. (For what its worth, they use Elavon. Secured by Elavon prints on the charge slip.)

The server had trouble with the tip by percentage function and had to cancel the whole thing to try again. He also was uncertain about me tapping my phone, despite the screen showing the Apple Pay glyph.
Old Jun 8, 18, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I had to select my tip before presenting payment. (For what its worth, they use Elavon. Secured by Elavon prints on the charge slip.)

The server had trouble with the tip by percentage function and had to cancel the whole thing to try again. He also was uncertain about me tapping my phone, despite the screen showing the Apple Pay glyph.
I'm actually impressed that Elavon hasn't started allowing tip adjust like a lot of other processors. (Or maybe they do and this restaurant hasn't requested it yet?)
Old Jun 8, 18, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, I did go to 7-Eleven this morning, and coincidentally, there weren't any customers in the store (probably because the gas pumps were taped off for some sort of maintenance work). Samsung Pay did work, but the iSC250 thought I was running a debit card (despite using a credit card) and I had to jump through hoops to run as credit. For future reference: "no" to cash back, then push the red Cancel button on the keypad, then choose the "credit" option on the display.

Anyway, considering the above, I'm not sure it saves that much time there compared to just using the chip on my card; 7-Eleven's chip processing was already reasonable (though not as fast as say Walgreens or some other smaller merchants that use standalone VX520s).
Old Jun 8, 18, 1:27 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS

Why would the server have trouble with tip be perentage? Arent you the one entering it?
Old Jun 8, 18, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by D582 View Post

Why would the server have trouble with tip be perentage? Arent you the one entering it?
The server selected amount entry without asking which option I wanted to choose. After mentioning that I wanted to tip by percentage, he pressed cancel, which it canceled the whole transaction. He then made the same mistake again and cancelled a second time. I should have just done the easy mental maths, in hindsight.

Also, the server initially wanted to enter the tip himself. I had to ask him to hand the device over. It could have been so much easier, had he handed it over once the screen said pass to customer. 🙄
Old Jun 8, 18, 8:41 pm

I'm so sold on NFC enabled/tap to pay cards. The only one I know of and actively have is the new Hilton Aspire Card. Easier even than Apple Pay...why don't more U.S. issuers offer them? They're amazing...don't have to take out of my wallet or worry about the battery running low.
Old Jun 8, 18, 11:06 pm

The server selected amount entry without asking which option I wanted to choose. After mentioning that I wanted to tip by percentage, he pressed cancel, which it canceled the whole transaction. He then made the same mistake again and cancelled a second time. I should have just done the easy mental maths, in hindsight.

Also, the server initially wanted to enter the tip himself. I had to ask him to hand the device over. It could have been so much easier, had he handed it over once the screen said pass to customer. 🙄
I would have knocked off a few percentage points for that poor quality of service.
Old Jun 8, 18, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sedubby View Post
why don't more U.S. issuers offer them?
There have been various theories mentioned here but I don't think we've really confirmed any of them as being the single major factor.
Old Jun 8, 18, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by sedubby View Post

I'm so sold on NFC enabled/tap to pay cards. The only one I know of and actively have is the new Hilton Aspire Card. Easier even than Apple Pay...why don't more U.S. issuers offer them? They're amazing...don't have to take out of my wallet or worry about the battery running low.
The cards themselves cost more to issue, and a lot of people in the US are scared of them and that their identities would be stolen etc. Also, if you have more than one NFC card in your wallet you will have to remove it otherwise you will have card clash.
Old Jun 8, 18, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by D582 View Post
The cards themselves cost more to issue, and a lot of people in the US are scared of them and that their identities would be stolen etc. Also, if you have more than one NFC card in your wallet you will have to remove it otherwise you will have card clash.
I used to think the fear bit was the most important factor, but considering that the cards never became widespread, I'm not so sure. For instance, a lot of cashiers had no idea that it's possible to tap cards until I try it.

More likely IMO is that it wasn't worth the trouble before due to low merchant acceptance. And I suspect that Capital One, etc. still wouldn't have considered them post-EMV if it weren't for Apple.

Search this Thread