Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Contactless works at Chase ATMs now. ^

Old May 26, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by tmiw
Contactless works at Chase ATMs now.
Neat. Do you place the contactless card where the symbol is or somewhere else?
Old May 26, 2018, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majuki
Neat. Do you place the contactless card where the symbol is or somewhere else?
Yep, the "cardless" sticker. Which for some reason isn't on the drive through ones, but eh.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Yep, the "cardless" sticker. Which for some reason isn't on the drive through ones, but eh.
Something tells me I need to switch to Chase because of this, though I never use the ATM.
Old May 26, 2018, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Something tells me I need to switch to Chase because of this, though I never use the ATM.
Why Chase as opposed to, say, BofA?
Old May 26, 2018, 6:37 pm

Why Chase as opposed to, say, BofA?
BofA is fee laden and charges you for every single little thing there is. Especially for just a basic checking account for the kids to use, etc. Plus with our UA Mileage Plus Explorer already on Chase etc it just makes sense.

And I just realized they mounted the graphic the wrong way on that card reader! GAH the chip is facing out! OCD time! LOL!
Old May 26, 2018, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BofA is fee laden and charges you for every single little thing there is. Especially for just a basic checking account for the kids to use, etc. Plus with our UA Mileage Plus Explorer already on Chase etc it just makes sense.

And I just realized they mounted the graphic the wrong way on that card reader! GAH the chip is facing out! OCD time! LOL!
As someone who uses BofA, I feel like their fees are standard for major banks (e.g. monthly fee unless you have more than $x or you do direct deposit) but maybe there are some extra fees that I haven't had the displeasure of running into. They also seem a tiny bit better at technology in general.

Speaking of major banks, some credit unions are almost as bad. And who knows how long it'll be before their ATMs support contactless?
Old May 26, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
"Cardless" access with a graphic showing a card. Priceless.

Chase seems to want to hide to the US that Contactless Cards exist. Yet Chase issues those Contactless Cards in various other countries...
Old May 27, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by storewanderer
"Cardless" access with a graphic showing a card. Priceless.

Chase seems to want to hide to the US that Contactless Cards exist. Yet Chase issues those Contactless Cards in various other countries...
I thought Chase was pulling out of the Canadian market. Where else do they operate?
Old May 27, 2018, 12:52 pm

I thought Chase was pulling out of the Canadian market. Where else do they operate?
They own other banks that you have to look up who JP MORGAN owns and operates but they don’t call it Chase outside of the US unless it’s Chase Paymentech, in which case they do call it Chase

Phew! That was a mouthful.
Old May 27, 2018, 5:59 pm

I went to Five Guys a few days ago, and it appears that they support EMV contactless now. I used Visa Credit. No EMV data on the receipt.

Meanwhile, it seems my local Panera may have broken contactless after finally getting the chip card update. My phone didn’t even detect the terminal, so it’s possible that the terminal’s NFC chip went bad (which I actually have encountered before).
Old May 28, 2018, 6:12 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
BofA is fee laden and charges you for every single little thing there is. Especially for just a basic checking account for the kids to use, etc. Plus with our UA Mileage Plus Explorer already on Chase etc it just makes sense...!
Chase is certainly easier on fees compared to most banks (ex: looser overdraft policies and a lower fee amount).

Bank of America has standard fees for any bank - although I think it's stupid for a bank to charge for ACH push payments to another institution. A $3 fee is a little ridiculous.

In return, you get BankAmerideals, the ability to use your credit card for overdraft protection, a more powerful online banking platform (website and app), and the ability to create virtual card numbers. Both are pretty much neck and neck with fraud protections and how they reimburse you (next day reimbursement for both).

Obviously Chase's credit cards are better - and if you already have one, I think you're making the right choice by going with them for your checking account.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So PNC might be rolling out contactless ATMs now too. I don't remember if anyone's reported this yet though.
Old May 28, 2018, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
So PNC might be rolling out contactless ATMs now too. I don't remember if anyone's reported this yet though.
PNC had contactless on its Virtual Wallet debit card when I last had an account there, which was 4 years ago. I closed the account when I moved out of their service area.
Old May 29, 2018, 9:02 am

Saw ATMs with an NFC "pad" at a brand new Wawa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.