Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: storewanderer
Older (archived) threads: 2014-16
- - - - - -
FAQ
  1. What is EMV contactless?

EMV contactless is a form of contactless/NFC that uses the same security and encryption that is used when inserting a chip card into an EMV-enabled terminal. Other than not having to sign/enter a PIN for smaller transactions, the security is effectively the same as chip and PIN/chip and signature.

In contrast, MSD contactless is an older version that is designed just and only for the United States. This effectively uses much the same flow as a swiped card transaction with the same rules.

2. What is CDCVM?

CDCVM stands for Consumer Device Cardholder Verification Method. It's a method of telling the terminal that the customer verified their identity using their mobile device. Terminals that support it will waive the signature/PIN requirement typically in place for larger transactions, potentially saving time at checkout.

More info: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202527

3. Does EMV contactless need to be supported to support CDCVM?

Typically, yes. (However, there are some exceptions below.)

4. Why can't I tap my foreign-issued contactless card at most places in the US?

This is likely because the store does not support EMV contactless. Foreign issued contactless cards typically do not support MSD contactless since other markets have had EMV for quite some time. In contrast, most stores in the US have yet to get the necessary certifications/software for EMV contactless so they are typically MSD-only--if contactless is enabled at all. (See below for a list of stores where your card will likely work.)

5. I paid for a purchase with Apple/Android/Samsung Pay and still had to sign for it.

Most likely, the store in question does not have EMV contactless enabled (see above question). However, there are instances where CDCVM does not work even with EMV contactless enabled. Restaurants that allow tip adjust, for example--where the tip amount is written on a paper receipt and entered by the staff later--cannot support CDCVM. It may simply be a matter of the merchant's processor or the POS software in use not supporting it too.

Another common reason is if you used a US-issued AmEx card with a mobile wallet. AmEx currently does not allow EMV contactless support in mobile wallets for these cards, so they always run as MSD contactless. Because of this, CDCVM is not supported (with very few exceptions, as noted below).

Note: if you used Samsung Pay, you may have paid with MST instead of NFC. Since MST emulates the magnetic pulses that the terminal receives when swiping a regular card, the normal magstripe rules apply.

6. How can I tell whether EMV contactless was used?

An easy way to tell if you have Apple Pay is to pay with a Visa or MC while in airplane mode. Wallet will then show a transaction amount next to "Payment" for the card that was used. Alternatively, EMV-related information will typically print on the receipt (AID, etc.) if EMV contactless was used.

(Non-exhaustive) list of EMV contactless supporting merchants in the US:
  • 7-Eleven
  • 99 Ranch
  • Albertsons (Safeway, Vons, Pak N Save, Jewel, Acme, Shaws, Star, Carrs, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Haggen, Eagle, Lucky UT/SoCal)
  • Apple Store*†
  • Athleta
  • Auntie Anne’s Pretzels
  • Banana Republic
  • Costco Wholesale
  • CVS
  • DuaneReade*
  • El Pollo Loco
  • EG Group US (Quik Stop, Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill) Note: cashier must press "Electronic Payment" to activate NFC
  • Five Below*
  • Five Guys
  • GAP
  • Grocery Outlet*
  • Harmon's Grocery
  • H&M*
  • Jolibee
  • Kohl's*
  • Lush Cosmetics*
  • Maverik
  • McDonald's*
  • Meijer
  • Old Navy
  • Panera Bread
  • PetSmart
  • Ray's Food Place
  • Round Table Pizza
  • Royal Farms
  • Red Ribbon Bakeshop
  • Sheetz
  • Sherm's Thunderbird Discount Markets Inc.*
  • Sprouts
  • Staples*
  • Starbucks*
  • Subway
  • Walgreens*
  • Weis Markets
  • All businesses that use Square and support contactless*
  • All businesses that use Clover and support EMV†**
  • All businesses that use First Data standalone terminals (e.g. FD100+FD35, FD130) with EMV enabled**

* CDCVM support confirmed
** CDCVM support depends on store/restaurant
† CDCVM supported in MSD mode
Print Wikipost

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)

Old May 9, 2018, 5:48 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by tmiw
Again, contactless cards are uncommon in the US; why confuse people with terminology that they don't understand? .
I think the point is, the inability for Americans to understand what contactless is speaks volumes.

We sound so childish in this country. "Do you take Apple Pay?" There's also Samsung Pay, Google Pay, and contactless cards.

Last edited by mikesyr18; May 9, 2018 at 5:56 am
Old May 9, 2018, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I think the point is, the inability for Americans to understand what contactless is speaks volumes.

We sound so childish in this country. "Do you take Apple Pay?" There's also Samsung Pay, Google Pay, and contactless cards.
Apple Pay was first in the US for a lot of people. Why is that surprising?

And there's nothing precluding people from understanding contactless cards if they're offered.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Apple Pay has taken over as a shorthand along the lines of kleenex for facial tissues.

I have said previously that Americans who rarely travel outside the country see little advantage to contactless, with waived signatures for insertion becoming more common. The Pays need to do a better job of pushing contactless for travel.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Apple Pay has taken over as a shorthand along the lines of kleenex for facial tissues.

I have said previously that Americans who rarely travel outside the country see little advantage to contactless, with waived signatures for insertion becoming more common. The Pays need to do a better job of pushing contactless for travel.
How to get the US to do it is a contactless mandate like EU has! Contactless by 2020 or no card acceptance at all. Since most already have the readers, money and cost should be a non issue.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:11 am

I have heard a customer ask a cashier do you take “that here google payment thing?” To which the cashier responded yes.

Sounds like we even got our hillbillies on board with contactless. And at least he didn’t say Apple Pay
Old May 9, 2018, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But if most Americans don't go overseas (with many that do going to relatively close countries that will be covered by the no-signature rules), how exactly will that help?

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
How to get the US to do it is a contactless mandate like EU has! Contactless by 2020 or no card acceptance at all. Since most already have the readers, money and cost should be a non issue.
A lot of contactless supporting businesses are still MSD only, never mind the ones that don't have any contactless supporting POS software whatsoever. 2020 is probably too soon of a deadline, unfortunately, and will really piss some merchants off considering low customer demand. (Consider for instance that Latin America's contactless mandate is this October for newly installed terminals and something like 2023 for all existing hardware.)

A few years after near 100% EMV acceptance and with most businesses supporting EMV contactless, however? Sure.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Apple Pay was first in the US for a lot of people. Why is that surprising?

And there's nothing precluding people from understanding contactless cards if they're offered.
It was also the first I've learned of contactless; however, I have the ability to learn above the bare minimum and not just what society throws at me.

America has the "we have Windows XP, so why do we need Windows 10" approach behind everything.

I've mentioned this idea, but don't believe anyone agreed with it, citing "a solution looking for a problem."
Old May 9, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was also the first I've learned of contactless; however, I have the ability to learn above the bare minimum and not just what society throws at me.
Not everyone's interested in payment systems so they're not going to go out and read much about them, nor do I really expect many to do so.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:38 pm

Not everyone's interested in payment systems so they're not going to go out and read much about them, nor do I really expect many to do so.
I'm just curious to know how people can see a wave/contactless symbol and not even ask what it means.
Plenty of people have the Citi Costco and Capital One cards, yet, most probably don't even notice.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm just curious to know how people can see a wave/contactless symbol and not even ask what it means.
Plenty of people have the Citi Costco and Capital One cards, yet, most probably don't even notice.
I'm pretty sure at least the latter sends something in the mail about it. Whether people read those, on the other hand, is another question.
Old May 10, 2018, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Contactless London fail yesterday: Chase Marriott visa in a taxi. I'm assuming it was an offline authorization issue? Worked OK today at a shop.
Old May 10, 2018, 7:40 pm

Went to my first EMV enabled Revel merchant. It’s FreedomPay
Attached Images  
Old May 10, 2018, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Day 5 of being in Mexico and I can safely say that literally everywhere keeps their terminals not facing the customers, even stuff like iPP320s that's supposed to face the customer. It's like US EMV but on steroids. At least PIN preferring cards don't seem to be a hassle, probably because they're not completely unheard of.

Also, Sumesa's (grocery store chain) VX820s showed the contactless logo. However, I didn't see any obvious signage anywhere else in the brief time I was there, so I doubt any customers actually know the support exists.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:45 pm

Day 5 of being in Mexico and I can safely say that literally everywhere keeps their terminals not facing the customers, even stuff like iPP320s that's supposed to face the customer. It's like US EMV but on steroids. At least PIN preferring cards don't seem to be a hassle, probably because they're not completely unheard of.

Also, Sumesa's (grocery store chain) VX820s showed the contactless logo. However, I didn't see any obvious signage anywhere else in the brief time I was there, so I doubt any customers actually know the support exists.
Go into a Walmart in Mexico and tell me how that works, I know even their iSC250s are FACING THE CASHIER! Like the entire country uses everything cashier facing its terrible!
Old May 10, 2018, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Go into a Walmart in Mexico and tell me how that works, I know even their iSC250s are FACING THE CASHIER! Like the entire country uses everything cashier facing its terrible!
Not sure if I'll have an opportunity but I did notice for the merchant guide that BBVA has for their terminal that they walk through how to run both signature and PIN transactions. Meanwhile, I'm not sure many merchant providers in the US actually have instructions for PIN.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.