FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1808899-barclays-aadvantage-aviator-personal-card-2016-2023-a.html)

particlemn Dec 15, 2016 8:20 am

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

https://home.barclaycardus.com/cards...astercard.html

Earn 40,000 bonus miles
when you make your first purchase in the first 90 days and pay the annual fee2

mia Dec 15, 2016 8:24 am

Earlier than expected:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...in-2017-a.html

blitzen Dec 15, 2016 9:21 am

Applied and approved

ryanmcv Dec 15, 2016 9:33 am

Interesting. I thought Barclaycard would only be accepting applications in airports and on-board American flights. I already have the Red card, but this is a compelling signup bonus compared to the Citi card. Glad to see some competition.

P.S. - My Red card is a regular "World" MasterCard. I wonder if it can be upgraded to World Elite like the one being advertised now?

carlitos Dec 15, 2016 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by ryanmcv (Post 27615972)
Interesting. I thought Barclaycard would only be accepting applications in airports and on-board American flights. I already have the Red card, but this is a compelling signup bonus compared to the Citi card. Glad to see some competition.

P.S. - My Red card is a regular "World" MasterCard. I wonder if it can be upgraded to World Elite like the one being advertised now?

I got the Red Card World Elite by upgrading to Silver for a year, and when the annual fee hit, downgrading back to the Red Card to avoid paying the annual fee but keeping the EQMs.

HansDKNY Dec 15, 2016 12:35 pm

Here is the offer fine print: First Purchase AAdvantage® Bonus Miles
The primary cardmember will earn forty thousand (40,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles after a first purchase is made on the Account within ninety (90) days of Account opening and the annual fee has been paid. This one-time AAdvantage® bonus mileage offer is valid for first-time cardmembers with new accounts only. Existing cardmembers, existing accounts, and previous cardmember with accounts closed in the past 24 months may not be eligible for this offer.

eajusa Dec 15, 2016 5:16 pm

Applied, waiting for Barclays to call, asking whether I will move credit from another card so they can approve me. Will ask them to close a Juniper Visa card I never use and transfer the credit line to Aviator.

krazykanuck Dec 15, 2016 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by HansDKNY (Post 27616910)
The primary cardmember will earn forty thousand (40,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles after a first purchase is made on the Account within ninety (90) days of Account opening and the annual fee has been paid. This one-time AAdvantage® bonus mileage offer is valid for first-time cardmembers with new accounts only. Existing cardmembers, existing accounts, and previous cardmember with accounts closed in the past 24 months may not be eligible for this offer.

Emphasis mine. The word "may" means we don't know how Barclays will interpret people who still have classic Aviators. Their statement is very vague.

Part of me is inclined to throw in an app and see what happens. Barclays is the only bank that pulls TU for me and I have all of 1 hard pull on that file, so a wasted hard pull on TU isn't that big of a deal.

flyer4512 Dec 15, 2016 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by HansDKNY (Post 27616910)

The 24 month language sees to indicate people who acquired the Aviator card via the Us Air Merger will be able to get the card again.

Barclay having that language on any card concerns me , maybe the churning days are ending at Barclay also.

Since I don't need AA miles I think I'll wait for a better offer, if they are giving 40K miles for first purchase I expect at least 50K for some spend an maybe the AF waived

HansDKNY Dec 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 27618602)
The 24 month language sees to indicate people who acquired the Aviator card via the Us Air Merger will be able to get the card again.

Barclay having that language on any card concerns me , maybe the churning days may be ending at Barclay also.

Since I don't need AA miles I think I'll wait for a better offer, if they are giving 40K miles for first purchase I expect at least 50K for some spend an maybe the AF waived

Yes, thus far most Barclays CRs and BoA don't have any 24 month rule....Let's see how long that last. I'll probably wait for a 50K offer to come up if the 24 month rule on the Aviator card is really being enforced now.

Anomalychick Dec 16, 2016 8:30 am

Clearly im a little early...

A little early to the game here obviously...
Its a "world" card, and this one is "world elite"
Does that make it a different product?
We'd love some datapoints on whether or not current aviator red cardholders will receive the bonus.

darthbimmer Dec 16, 2016 10:37 am

Curiously the terms state those with accounts closed in the past 24 months are ineligible. I closed one of my Aviator cards in April (no retention offers) so I'm out of the running on this one for quite a while.

mia Dec 16, 2016 10:44 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 27621614)
Curiously the terms state those with accounts closed in the past 24 months are ineligible....

Citi's terms are very similar, except Citi does not exclude current cardholders:

American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had any Citi® / AAdvantage® card (other than a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card) opened or closed in the past 24 months.

flyer4512 Dec 16, 2016 11:02 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 27621614)
Curiously the terms state those with accounts closed in the past 24 months are ineligible. I closed one of my Aviator cards in April (no retention offers) so I'm out of the running on this one for quite a while.

I closed my Aviator 12/26/2015 which means I have to wait a bit over a year.

If everything at Chase stays the same I go card free for 2018/2019 and my wife starts getting cards as she will be 1/24 in November 2017.

I will probably grab an Aviator in early 2018 before I go card free.

ecgz88 Dec 16, 2016 11:44 am

I have a existing red card by US Airways Merger, Can I downgrade to a no annual fee card and re-apply for this one?

Barclay having that language on any card concerns me , maybe the churning days are ending at Barclay also.