Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Personal Card
Click here to get the same offer (see below) with the annual fee waived the first year. First try entering code 999999 in the box at the top of the page. Apparently this offer is from an AA employee selling the card inflight, but it seems to be open to everyone. But publishing that employee's code online could get the employee in trouble. If 999999 doesn't work, use employee code 356467. Note: You will NOT get a $99 Companion Certificate as part of your bonus when the annual fee is waived.
Language from the web offer page: Anniversary Companion Certificate: Each anniversary year; earn a Companion Certificate good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after spending $20,000 on purchases and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date. There is NO LANGUAGE in this offer regarding a "complimentary" companion certificate.

AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
1. 70K offer https://cards.barclaycardus.com/cred...0-8f2f74651285 DEAD

2. 60,000 bonus miles and $99 Companion Certificate after first purchase and paying the $99 annual fee
Offer landing page: https://cards.barclaycardus.com/card...astercard.html

The offer fine print:
The primary cardmember will earn sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the AAdvantage®bonus miles to be deposited into your AAdvantage® account. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

In addition to the sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles, the primary cardmember will earn one (1) domestic economy fare American Airlines introductory Companion Certificate redeemable for one (1) companion ticket at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate after the qualifying purchase has posted to your card account and the annual fee has been paid. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

This one-time offer is valid for eligible cardmembers. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program.
There are data points indicating that this is not always enforced: See posts 439, 496, 514, 516, 517, 538, 835

As of Sept. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, "instantly" by a computer, if they already have an Aviator card open. As of Dec. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, even by recon, if they already have an Aviator card open. It had been that current and previous Aviator Red (US Airways Converted) cardmembers were not subject to the 24-month restriction. This seems to have changed as far as current card holders applying for a second, concurrent card. (See posts #185, 193, 194, 195, 198, 199, 211, 220, 247, 290, 527, 529, 532)

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Business Card, see this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-card-50k.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

RECON. PHONE NUMBERS
Reported phone numbers to call for reconsideration include 866-371-4787, (post 303), 866-205-5973 (post 659), 866-408-4064 (multiple posts), 866-408-4065 (from post #2 in recon thread), 866-369-1283 (from post #7 in recon thread). Other posters have called the general customer service number and asked to be transferred to a credit analyst.

It appears that if your SUB includes the $95 AF (annual fee), Barclays doesn't post the AF until the 2nd statement. Thus, it will be a min. of 2 statements before you see your SUB points. This is only if the SUB requires the AF (as opposed to some SUBs that just have the $x,xxx in purchases with no AF).

There have been at least two cases in July 2023 where Barclays posted the AF prior to the first statement. In both of those cases, the cardholder paid the AF and other balance prior to the closing date. The SUB was issued as of the first statement for one these accounts. It may be the second one was too close to the closing date.

Posting of points from Barclays SUB to AA seem to take 3-7 days after the SUB posts on the Barclays Statement.

Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by MappingChick
My statement closed today, but I've already paid the AF and first purchase. Also received an email about the mileage bonus.

"Thank you for using your new AAdvantage® Aviator™ Red MasterCard®. Your 40,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles will appear on your next credit card billing statement. Shortly after that, your bonus miles will be posted to your AAdvantage®account and be available for redemption. Continue to use your card for all your purchases to earn travel rewards faster."

I'm not in need of the miles right now, so I'll just keep an eye out and see how long they really take to show up.
took two days from the statement closing to show on my AA account.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
After closing LH M & M yesterday and moving 14K to Rewards card, applied today for Aviator and was auto approved with 15K + CL while still having converted US air / AA card open.

Applied for LH and had to call in and split the 15K new CL and was approved
for it also

According to recon , they did 2 separate pulls .

This was after doing Citi AA using invite a little earlier. Waiting for Welcome letter for Citi AA

Life is Good
So consensus is that you can receive this 40k bonus offer while still having a converted US Airways card open? I think this is the first time I've seen this.

I still have one converted US Airways card open, and I just received my free 10,000 annual bonus miles again. Combined with 10% rebate on redemptions (I canceled all Citi AA cards to reset the 24 months clock), I didn't want to cancel my Barclays AA card.

Please keep us updated on your eventual 40k miles bonus. Thanks.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by kip1124
So consensus is that you can receive this 40k bonus offer while still having a converted US Airways card open? I think this is the first time I've seen this.

I still have one converted US Airways card open, and I just received my free 10,000 annual bonus miles again. Combined with 10% rebate on redemptions (I canceled all Citi AA cards to reset the 24 months clock), I didn't want to cancel my Barclays AA card.

I have old USair still open and have opened new card, received welcome email with bonus wording included and am waiting for AF to hit so i can pay. Even moved credit from USair card to the new card after receiving call from recon asking to move my credit around.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by dascc
no bonus was mentioned in the paper media. We did get welcome emails which listed the 40k bonus.
Was this in the "Congratulations! You're Approved" email after applying, or a different email?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by nall
Was this in the "Congratulations! You're Approved" email after applying, or a different email?
A separate email from the congratulations you're approved. I got it about a week after activation of the card. Subject line was "Welcome, Learn more about your new card".
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by nall
separate.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by kip1124

I'm in the same situation and just applied, fingers crossed. I suspect perhaps this card might count as a new product since it is World Elite Mastercard while my converted Aviator Red was just regular World Mastercard.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by agtprvctr
I'm in the same situation and just applied, fingers crossed. I suspect perhaps this card might count as a new product since it is World Elite Mastercard while my converted Aviator Red was just regular World Mastercard.
Or else the "may" in the Barclay wording simply means "may or may not". (Ie, it could be wording to allow them to tighten up in the future without having to reprint the literature they hand out on AA planes, but also allows them to not enforce it [yet?] if they wish to.)

Ie, it's different language that at Citi which says you definitely will not get the bonus if you open or closed in the past 24 months, and you definitely don't (if you don't have a magic "no language" link).
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:33 pm

You are correct! The miles showed up in my AA account this morning.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Same data point for me. Statement closed on Tuesday, Wednesday the Barclays site showed I earned 40,010 miles this statement, and Thursday the miles were there in my AA account.

I had the Aviator card last year, then downgraded it to the regular fee free card and cancelled it in November. Seems having the card recently doesn't preclude people from getting the bonus despite what their terms say.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by givingitatry
I have old USair still open and have opened new card, received welcome email with bonus wording included and am waiting for AF to hit so i can pay. Even moved credit from USair card to the new card after receiving call from recon asking to move my credit around.
Thanks for the DP. I will plan on applying soon.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by blitzen
they could but in the past they didn't
Does this mean instant approval will generally result in being eligible for the 40k?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crazytravelguy
Does this mean instant approval will generally result in being eligible for the 40k?
Not keyed to "instant". It means that approval period (instant or not) will generally result in being eligible for the 40k.

The first person that reports being approved for the card but told ineligible for the 40k, everyone will be talking about that in every Aviator thread here (and elsewhere) because it would such an unexpected change, based on Barclay's past behavior.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
So I've been reading back, but has anybody successfully received the 40k while having an existing (aka converted USMCs) Aviator Red open? I currently have 2, and while I'd close them if needed, I'd rather not if I could get the bonus regardless.

I may lower my CLs on my existing cards, or just apply and hope for the best. I mean it's a TU pull, so not really a big deal if I'm not approved as nobody else pulls TU for me.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Not keyed to "instant". It means that approval period (instant or not) will generally result in being eligible for the 40k.

The first person that reports being approved for the card but told ineligible for the 40k, everyone will be talking about that in every Aviator thread here (and elsewhere) because it would such an unexpected change, based on Barclay's past behavior.
Excellent, thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.