Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Personal Card
Click here to get the same offer (see below) with the annual fee waived the first year. First try entering code 999999 in the box at the top of the page. Apparently this offer is from an AA employee selling the card inflight, but it seems to be open to everyone. But publishing that employee's code online could get the employee in trouble. If 999999 doesn't work, use employee code 356467. Note: You will NOT get a $99 Companion Certificate as part of your bonus when the annual fee is waived.
Language from the web offer page: Anniversary Companion Certificate: Each anniversary year; earn a Companion Certificate good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after spending $20,000 on purchases and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date. There is NO LANGUAGE in this offer regarding a "complimentary" companion certificate.

AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
1. 70K offer https://cards.barclaycardus.com/cred...0-8f2f74651285 DEAD

2. 60,000 bonus miles and $99 Companion Certificate after first purchase and paying the $99 annual fee
Offer landing page: https://cards.barclaycardus.com/card...astercard.html

The offer fine print:
The primary cardmember will earn sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the AAdvantage®bonus miles to be deposited into your AAdvantage® account. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

In addition to the sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles, the primary cardmember will earn one (1) domestic economy fare American Airlines introductory Companion Certificate redeemable for one (1) companion ticket at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate after the qualifying purchase has posted to your card account and the annual fee has been paid. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

This one-time offer is valid for eligible cardmembers. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program.
There are data points indicating that this is not always enforced: See posts 439, 496, 514, 516, 517, 538, 835

As of Sept. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, "instantly" by a computer, if they already have an Aviator card open. As of Dec. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, even by recon, if they already have an Aviator card open. It had been that current and previous Aviator Red (US Airways Converted) cardmembers were not subject to the 24-month restriction. This seems to have changed as far as current card holders applying for a second, concurrent card. (See posts #185, 193, 194, 195, 198, 199, 211, 220, 247, 290, 527, 529, 532)

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Business Card, see this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-card-50k.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

RECON. PHONE NUMBERS
Reported phone numbers to call for reconsideration include 866-371-4787, (post 303), 866-205-5973 (post 659), 866-408-4064 (multiple posts), 866-408-4065 (from post #2 in recon thread), 866-369-1283 (from post #7 in recon thread). Other posters have called the general customer service number and asked to be transferred to a credit analyst.

It appears that if your SUB includes the $95 AF (annual fee), Barclays doesn't post the AF until the 2nd statement. Thus, it will be a min. of 2 statements before you see your SUB points. This is only if the SUB requires the AF (as opposed to some SUBs that just have the $x,xxx in purchases with no AF).

There have been at least two cases in July 2023 where Barclays posted the AF prior to the first statement. In both of those cases, the cardholder paid the AF and other balance prior to the closing date. The SUB was issued as of the first statement for one these accounts. It may be the second one was too close to the closing date.

Posting of points from Barclays SUB to AA seem to take 3-7 days after the SUB posts on the Barclays Statement.

Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Old May 9, 2019, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by dc2005b
I called to cancel my Aviator Red card today after 5+ years and was surprised to be able to do it from an automated menu, they never even connected me to a person when I said cancel card. My AF was going to hit later this month and I'd gotten one last 10k rebate before the terms changed but I was still surprised to not be even asked to reconsider the cancellation, guess I wasn't a valuable customer!
I liked the ease of cancelling the card through the automated menu. I'm glad that I didn't have to talk to a live person. Even if Barclay's was offering some sort of retention I can't think of any offer I would have accepted now that the 10K opportunity has been taken away.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:19 pm

Churning Barclays AA Personal

Is Barclays AA churnable? What are the rules? Must you wait 24 months before reapplying.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Updated the wiki with new offer; 50,000 miles and $99 Companion Certificate, both after first purchase and paying the annual fee.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:17 am

I know that my question on churning of this card was moved to this post -- however, it does not answer my request as the last answer directly on this matter is from 2017. As we all know, a lot can happen in 2 years. Does anybody have more recent experiences to share. I am not the only one asking as another poster asked for the same info in early May 2019?
Old May 16, 2019, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by todd140
I know that my question on churning of this card was moved to this post -- however, it does not answer my request as the last answer directly on this matter is from 2017. As we all know, a lot can happen in 2 years. Does anybody have more recent experiences to share. I am not the only one asking as another poster asked for the same info in early May 2019?
The issue is that Barclay keeps changing (enforcement of) the rules while nothing changes in writing, and that such enforcement is comparatively (to a 2-year period) recent. So most people who canceled 2 years ago got another card 1.5 years ago, because that was still possible back then. So there's presumably not that many people interested in churning this card who haven't had it for anything close to 2 years yet.

Meanwhile, among the things that can happen it 2 years there's the possibility of it changing it 4 years by then. (Chase changed the wait on one of their cards from 24 months to 48 months recently!) Remember, it not that you have to wait 2 years (in the future), it's that you have to have waited 2 years (up to now). Nobody knows what the rules will be 2 years from now.
Old May 19, 2019, 7:19 pm

Priority boarding if i have had the card less than 7 days

I am booking a flight with a basic economy fare, and am traveling with a musical instrument. I know I can take it on, but want to be sure there is room in the overhead bin, and think getting on with Group 5, not Group 9 would help. The flight is in less than a week. I see the terms say I need to hold the card for over 7 days, but is this enforced, or am I likely to be able to board earlier? I don't need to pay with this card, right?

Last edited by headoflife; May 19, 2019 at 7:20 pm Reason: added question
Old May 20, 2019, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The issue is that Barclay keeps changing (enforcement of) the rules while nothing changes in writing, and that such enforcement is comparatively (to a 2-year period) recent. So most people who canceled 2 years ago got another card 1.5 years ago, because that was still possible back then. So there's presumably not that many people interested in churning this card who haven't had it for anything close to 2 years yet..
Is it even in writing anywhere? I didn't see anything in the terms about 2 years.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by kilton
Is it even in writing anywhere? I didn't see anything in the terms about 2 years.
As SDsearch said, some of us got the bonus miles a couple of times withing a few months (I got a 2nd bonus 33 days after closing a previous card that I had gotten 3 months prior) but then they started enforcing the, at the time, policy of one bonus per 24 month period. Now, I can't even find a time limit...but I did find this on their app page...
"These bonuses and /or incentives are intended for persons who are not and have not previously been American Airlines AAdvantage® Aviator® Red Mastercard® cardmembers."
They don't even state a time frame any more.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:18 pm

With this card, I can buy wifi on board in flight and get $25 refund credit? Have domestic AA 4 hour flight, if I can purchase wifi in flight, just pay with the barclay aadvantage card and get up to $25 refund right? One time per year?
Old May 21, 2019, 6:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It wouldn't have to be on one flight.

Anniversary $25 Wi-Fi Credit
You will qualify for Wi-Fi statement credits up to a maximum of $25 per Card Account each card membership year (each 12-month period through and including your Card Account anniversary month) towards Wi-Fi sessions on American Airlines operated flights when purchased on your Card Account. Transaction dates for each Wi-Fi purchase will be used to determine the card membership year in which each Wi-Fi purchase applies. This benefit applies to cardmembers in Good Standing, and flights that are marketed and operated by American Airlines, or marketed by American Airlines and operated by Compass Airlines, LLC, Envoy Air Inc., ExpressJet Airlines, Inc., Republic Airline Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., Mesa Airlines, Inc., PSA Airlines, Inc., Piedmont Airlines, Inc., or Trans States Airlines, LLC. This benefit will not be available for travel on codeshare flights booked with an American Airlines flight number but operated by another airline. You may not receive Wi-Fi statement credits unless your Card Account annual fee has been paid. Any outstanding Wi-Fi statement credits will be applied to your Card Account once you pay your Card Account annual fee. Wi-Fi statement credits will appear on your Card Account billing statement 6-8 weeks after each eligible purchase is posted to your Card Account. If your Card Account is closed, any outstanding Wi-Fi statement credits will be forfeited. Wi-Fi usage is subject to the terms of usage and restrictions of the Wi-Fi service provider. Additional terms, conditions and restrictions may apply and are subject to change without notice. Please visit aa.com/wifi for additional details.
Old May 26, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by fredc84
As SDsearch said, some of us got the bonus miles a couple of times withing a few months (I got a 2nd bonus 33 days after closing a previous card that I had gotten 3 months prior) but then they started enforcing the, at the time, policy of one bonus per 24 month period. Now, I can't even find a time limit...but I did find this on their app page...
"These bonuses and /or incentives are intended for persons who are not and have not previously been American Airlines AAdvantage® Aviator® Red Mastercard® cardmembers."
I saw that as well. Sad, as the days of churning this card may be over? It will be helpful to get some datapoints over time as to how this is enforced or whether there is an unpublished lifetime enforcement similar to many DP about AMEX being ~7 years.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fredc84
There was some discussion of that no-date-range wording back last summer, but subsequent DPs show they didn't really mean once-in-a-lifetime. My guess is it's more like they'll say no if it's too obvious you're just doing it repeatedly for the bonus? (Not sure it qualifies as "churning" at one every 2 years.)
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
I take it Barclay's has changed the payment cut off time for the Aviator. The cut off used to always be 7PM Eastern, which caused a fair number of complaints from card holders on the West Coast.

This time, when I went to pay my bill, I found a new line in the fine print:
Cutoff time for same-day payments made online and by phone is 11:59 p.m. ET
So Barclay's brings themselves into line with the competing card issuers.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:41 pm

Quick question here, please. I am one of the people who got Aviator when it was 10K miles every year. It posts every year for me. My question is that my fee is due now. But they seem to have already given me these miles, before I pay the fee. If I close down the card, will they take the miles back?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Use them first!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.