Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Personal Card
Click here to get the same offer (see below) with the annual fee waived the first year. First try entering code 999999 in the box at the top of the page. Apparently this offer is from an AA employee selling the card inflight, but it seems to be open to everyone. But publishing that employee's code online could get the employee in trouble. If 999999 doesn't work, use employee code 356467. Note: You will NOT get a $99 Companion Certificate as part of your bonus when the annual fee is waived.
Language from the web offer page: Anniversary Companion Certificate: Each anniversary year; earn a Companion Certificate good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after spending $20,000 on purchases and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date. There is NO LANGUAGE in this offer regarding a "complimentary" companion certificate.

AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
1. 70K offer https://cards.barclaycardus.com/cred...0-8f2f74651285 DEAD

2. 60,000 bonus miles and $99 Companion Certificate after first purchase and paying the $99 annual fee
Offer landing page: https://cards.barclaycardus.com/card...astercard.html

The offer fine print:
The primary cardmember will earn sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the AAdvantage®bonus miles to be deposited into your AAdvantage® account. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

In addition to the sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles, the primary cardmember will earn one (1) domestic economy fare American Airlines introductory Companion Certificate redeemable for one (1) companion ticket at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate after the qualifying purchase has posted to your card account and the annual fee has been paid. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

This one-time offer is valid for eligible cardmembers. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program.
There are data points indicating that this is not always enforced: See posts 439, 496, 514, 516, 517, 538, 835

As of Sept. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, "instantly" by a computer, if they already have an Aviator card open. As of Dec. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, even by recon, if they already have an Aviator card open. It had been that current and previous Aviator Red (US Airways Converted) cardmembers were not subject to the 24-month restriction. This seems to have changed as far as current card holders applying for a second, concurrent card. (See posts #185, 193, 194, 195, 198, 199, 211, 220, 247, 290, 527, 529, 532)

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Business Card, see this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-card-50k.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

RECON. PHONE NUMBERS
Reported phone numbers to call for reconsideration include 866-371-4787, (post 303), 866-205-5973 (post 659), 866-408-4064 (multiple posts), 866-408-4065 (from post #2 in recon thread), 866-369-1283 (from post #7 in recon thread). Other posters have called the general customer service number and asked to be transferred to a credit analyst.

It appears that if your SUB includes the $95 AF (annual fee), Barclays doesn't post the AF until the 2nd statement. Thus, it will be a min. of 2 statements before you see your SUB points. This is only if the SUB requires the AF (as opposed to some SUBs that just have the $x,xxx in purchases with no AF).

There have been at least two cases in July 2023 where Barclays posted the AF prior to the first statement. In both of those cases, the cardholder paid the AF and other balance prior to the closing date. The SUB was issued as of the first statement for one these accounts. It may be the second one was too close to the closing date.

Posting of points from Barclays SUB to AA seem to take 3-7 days after the SUB posts on the Barclays Statement.

Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fredc84
I know you are asking RH but since I'n the one who had the 35 days in between cancellation and successful app, I thought I'd answer this question as well. My old card still shows on my login page, though it is listed as cancelled and says functionality is limited.
Originally Posted by muji
I've had the same experience. My canceled Aviator was still showing online when I got approved for a new card (roughly a month after canceling the first card).
Thank you both for the DPs.
So the lapse time between cancellation and reapplication might not be an issue.
This might eliminate the reason 1). So it leaves the reason 2) - time between 2 Barclays card application.

How about the lapse time between 2 Barclays cards applications> i.e. before the 2nd Aviator card application, when was the previous Barclays card opened? (any Barclays card).
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by rover4618
Thank you Fred I may try this.
Any DP's to offer? I am at 35 days and curious. Added 3 cards within the last 2 weeks and would like to do this before they hit the CR if possible. Will be at 60 days since JetBlue card approval in a week
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:27 pm

There are a lot of reasons for a denial for a Barclay card, my advice is not to apply for the same card for around 6 months from the denial of the same product.
I would make sure not to have the same product open when you apply for the next card, i normally close the existing card 45 days minimum prior to my new app.
i would make sure that the credit limit on the existing Barclay cards very low, normally i lower my active cards to 1K at least 1-2 months prior to the next application, this way you free-up the credit line for the next card which increases your chances of an auto approval.
don't push your luck with barclay, 2 cards a year is not a bad deal, most of the time i do 1 card every 5-6 months.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
Any DP's to offer? I am at 35 days and curious. Added 3 cards within the last 2 weeks and would like to do this before they hit the CR if possible. Will be at 60 days since JetBlue card approval in a week
I'm not going to try until late January.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Promotional code

on flight the other night the flight attendants were handing out applications for the 60K offer. The applications have a space for a promotional code. My application adid not have the space filled in. Does anyone have the code?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
So here's my data point.

My experience in the last few years or so is that you can apply for another barclaycard once it drops off your online profile after about 6 months or so.

Ok, well I haven't been paying much attention to churning cuz I was trying to lower my inquiries in hopes of somehow 5/24.... or at least my auto insurance rates would be better.

Anyway I saw 60k miles for $99 and 60k jetblue for $99 and I was like gotta try.

So aviator (last had over a year ago not exactly sure when.. but certainly wasn't appearing as a card on my online profile) went pending. !!!!!!

So I googled and read that this crap was happening... shoulda researched first... didn't know how dynamic this all was...

So I read no hard pull if denied for 24mo thing... so I applied for JetBlue card since I never had it.

Again went pending....

So now I'm sad.....
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
And I did get hard pull
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
And I did get hard pull
You realize that hard pull doesn't impact 5/24 - it is only the cards opened that count, and there are exceptions to that.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
So here's my data point.

My experience in the last few years or so is that you can apply for another barclaycard once it drops off your online profile after about 6 months or so.

Ok, well I haven't been paying much attention to churning cuz I was trying to lower my inquiries in hopes of somehow 5/24.... or at least my auto insurance rates would be better.

Anyway I saw 60k miles for $99 and 60k jetblue for $99 and I was like gotta try.

So aviator (last had over a year ago not exactly sure when.. but certainly wasn't appearing as a card on my online profile) went pending. !!!!!!

So I googled and read that this crap was happening... shoulda researched first... didn't know how dynamic this all was...

So I read no hard pull if denied for 24mo thing... so I applied for JetBlue card since I never had it.

Again went pending....

So now I'm sad.....
Don't worry, be happy. No point in being prematurely sad. If you get a denial letter there will be time enough to be sad. Closed my last Aviator card June 6, 2017. Approved for another one Dec 26, 2017. So not sure where people are getting this "24 months" stuff. Maybe they are confusing Barclays with Citi and Chase?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Don't worry, be happy. No point in being prematurely sad. If you get a denial letter there will be time enough to be sad. Closed my last Aviator card June 6, 2017. Approved for another one Dec 26, 2017. So not sure where people are getting this "24 months" stuff. Maybe they are confusing Barclays with Citi and Chase?
The 24 month is in the terms of the Aviator card application, the thing is, it is not enforced based on my experience and experience of others (like yourself), some people are mistakenly reasoning their recent denials to that rule when in fact it has nothing to do with it.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
The languages are in the T&Cs but somehow it is not universally enforced. I believe this has been discussed a few times on this thread. It could very well be not enforced up till end of 20`17 and then finally is enforced via the system starting 2018 - just like before 2nd week of Sept having an existing Aviator did not preventing a second Aviator but all DPs were negative since 2nd week of Sept.

Originally Posted by ninim2200
The 24 month is in the terms of the Aviator card application, the thing is, it is not enforced based on my experience and experience of others (like yourself), some people are mistakenly reasoning their recent denials to that rule when in fact it has nothing to do with it.
Right. The subsequent denial letter will give more light as if it is based on previous Aviator it would definitely say so in the letter.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
I applied and was approved last month. Previously canceled this card middle of 2017. Before that, I held the card for >2 years - maybe it was a US Air card back in the day. I think I was approved because I don't game with Barclay (I have only held this card and the Sallie Mae one) and have been trying to stay under 5/24.

Now, they gave me a $24k credit line - would it be wise to call in and reduce that to say $5k or even less?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by eethan
Now, they gave me a $24k credit line - would it be wise to call in and reduce that to say $5k or even less?
You can send a SM to reduce the credit line to 1K if you wish.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:22 pm

Any recent DPs of individuals with still-open Silver cards getting approved for 60k Red card offer? I see a few from a few months ago but unsure if the Wiki is to be read that as of late December that's no longer possible (or just no longer possible with an existing Red card).
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
After getting an instant approval on the Ink Preferred card in my husband's name, we decided to try his luck with the Aviator.
Unfortunately he received another instant denial just like the first try in Sept when he still had an existing Aviator.

We dont think the inquiries from his new AMEX DL biz card applied in 1st week of Dec (instant approval from a targeted offer), as well as the Ink Preferred tonight have anything to do with the denial - they should both be from Experian while Barclays always pulls from TU. Doubt the inquiries would matter.

Therefore we feel the possible reason(s) would most likely be:

1) After being denied for a second Aviator with an existing Aviator from a US Airway conversion, he canceled the existing Aviator in late November after 10K anniversary bonus posted at beginning of Nov. The time between cancellation and application is 42 days. Apparently the time lapse is still too short for his account, unlike another poster who reported success only 35 days after canceling the existing Aviator..

2) He has applied and is instantly approved the A+ on Sept 19. Not quite 4 months yet from previous Barclay card application. Should probably wait till full 4 months passed before trying again.

Will report back what the denial letter says once it arrives. Should be able to tell whether it is due to 1) (due to previous Aviator) or due to 2).(has extended maximum credit).
Originally Posted by Happy
Thank you both for the DPs.
So the lapse time between cancellation and reapplication might not be an issue.
This might eliminate the reason 1). So it leaves the reason 2) - time between 2 Barclays card application.

How about the lapse time between 2 Barclays cards applications> i.e. before the 2nd Aviator card application, when was the previous Barclays card opened? (any Barclays card).
The verdict is in. Letter arrives today and the reason given is Too Many Recent Applications.

So it is due to not enough time passed from the 9/19 A+ instant approval. Had we waited after Jan 21st the outcome might be different. I totally forgot the 4 months safety rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.