Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Personal Card
Click here to get the same offer (see below) with the annual fee waived the first year. First try entering code 999999 in the box at the top of the page. Apparently this offer is from an AA employee selling the card inflight, but it seems to be open to everyone. But publishing that employee's code online could get the employee in trouble. If 999999 doesn't work, use employee code 356467. Note: You will NOT get a $99 Companion Certificate as part of your bonus when the annual fee is waived.
Language from the web offer page: Anniversary Companion Certificate: Each anniversary year; earn a Companion Certificate good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after spending $20,000 on purchases and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date. There is NO LANGUAGE in this offer regarding a "complimentary" companion certificate.

AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
1. 70K offer https://cards.barclaycardus.com/cred...0-8f2f74651285 DEAD

2. 60,000 bonus miles and $99 Companion Certificate after first purchase and paying the $99 annual fee
Offer landing page: https://cards.barclaycardus.com/card...astercard.html

The offer fine print:
The primary cardmember will earn sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the AAdvantage®bonus miles to be deposited into your AAdvantage® account. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

In addition to the sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles, the primary cardmember will earn one (1) domestic economy fare American Airlines introductory Companion Certificate redeemable for one (1) companion ticket at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate after the qualifying purchase has posted to your card account and the annual fee has been paid. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

This one-time offer is valid for eligible cardmembers. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program.
There are data points indicating that this is not always enforced: See posts 439, 496, 514, 516, 517, 538, 835

As of Sept. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, "instantly" by a computer, if they already have an Aviator card open. As of Dec. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, even by recon, if they already have an Aviator card open. It had been that current and previous Aviator Red (US Airways Converted) cardmembers were not subject to the 24-month restriction. This seems to have changed as far as current card holders applying for a second, concurrent card. (See posts #185, 193, 194, 195, 198, 199, 211, 220, 247, 290, 527, 529, 532)

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Business Card, see this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-card-50k.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

RECON. PHONE NUMBERS
Reported phone numbers to call for reconsideration include 866-371-4787, (post 303), 866-205-5973 (post 659), 866-408-4064 (multiple posts), 866-408-4065 (from post #2 in recon thread), 866-369-1283 (from post #7 in recon thread). Other posters have called the general customer service number and asked to be transferred to a credit analyst.

It appears that if your SUB includes the $95 AF (annual fee), Barclays doesn't post the AF until the 2nd statement. Thus, it will be a min. of 2 statements before you see your SUB points. This is only if the SUB requires the AF (as opposed to some SUBs that just have the $x,xxx in purchases with no AF).

There have been at least two cases in July 2023 where Barclays posted the AF prior to the first statement. In both of those cases, the cardholder paid the AF and other balance prior to the closing date. The SUB was issued as of the first statement for one these accounts. It may be the second one was too close to the closing date.

Posting of points from Barclays SUB to AA seem to take 3-7 days after the SUB posts on the Barclays Statement.

Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:44 am

My DP:

A+ #1 opened 11/03/15, converted to Rewards 10/03/16, closed 12/2016.
A+ #2 opened 04/10/17, converted to Rewards 11/10/17, closed 12/2017.
Hawaii opened 06/17/17, closed 2/17/18.
Aviator #1 opened 01/05/17, closed 11/05/17.
Aviator #2 opened 03/05/18, active.
Wyndham opened 12/03/17, active.

I think I usually have the max of 3 Barclay cards. If I need another card, I would have to cancel one according to my record. Normally I would wait 95 plus days between applications. It's a bummer that Arrival+ is gone.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:30 am

Called to close my Aviator Red card (legacy US) because the AAdvantage program is worthless. Barclays agent asked why and I told her I can't find any award flights for where I want to go. She proceeded to ask me where I wanted to go and insisted on searching for an award flight for me...apparently Barclays agents are now travel agents. Fortunately, her system was down so she couldn't find anything for me, plus she had some mild amusement I was only interested in a J award ("If only I could be so lucky," she said). Account closed.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 8:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Any DP's on upgrading a Red to a Silver, to then go back and re-apply later on for a Red to make a total of 2 cards? I have had the red for a few years now, but would love the extra bennies of the silver and the MS opportunities of a 2nd card. Would that 2nd card be churn-able per the timeline mentioned upthread?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:27 pm

had a legacy Red card from US Airway time since 2015. Got retention twice in the past two years, but not any more for 2018. Asked to downgrade to the one without annual fee but CSR said the option isn't available. Had to cancel the card!

Is there any success with the downgrade actually?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by tonywush
had a legacy Red card from US Airway time since 2015. Got retention twice in the past two years, but not any more for 2018. Asked to downgrade to the one without annual fee but CSR said the option isn't available. Had to cancel the card!

When I called and asked about waiving fee, they said my option was to downgrade to a fee free one.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, if you didn't wait until the last possible minute to make the first call, you didn't have to cancel the card, you could have HUCA'd (hang up, call again) a few days later, and you might have gotten a different answer!

HUCA is also something that people have had success with lately! See here for an example:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29594655-post1949.html
tonywush likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:38 pm

Wife has a Barclay Aviator Red (converted from US Airway time). No retention offer this year so want to downgrade to the one without annual fee. Called twice and both said the option is not available. Also tried to product change to the basic Arrival (without annual fee) but still no luck.

Has anyone seen this before? Basically just want to keep the account for retaining history without paying any fees.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wife has a Barclay Aviator Red (converted from US Airway time). No retention offer this year so want to downgrade to the one without annual fee. Called twice and both said the option is not available. Also tried to product change to the basic Arrival (without annual fee) but still no luck.

Has anyone seen this before? Basically just want to keep the account for retaining history without paying any fees.
Has the annual fee posted yet? I know they send a letter saying you have to cancel by such-and-such to not get the annual fee, but that's misleading. That's only to not the get the annual fee to post, after it posts you still have weeks before you have to pay it.

Please read my previous post in this thread, right above yours and then read the post linked there. People are getting different answer before and after the annual fee posts, and/or simply calling weeks apart.
tonywush likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:39 pm

Basically just want to keep the account for retaining history without paying any fees.
If you are worrying about dinging your Credit History by canceling the card (I'm assuming this isn't the only card you have) canceling the card won't have any effect. The card stays on the CB history for 10 years even after it's closed.

Besides which, you don't want to downgrade to the no AF card, you want to cancel this card, wait a few months, and apply for another one, with another sign up bonus.
tonywush likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:44 pm

I closed my Aviator card several months ago. Is there any way I can remove it from my online profile? I have one active Barclay card and two closed ones, and I don't want to see the closed cards when I log on.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by LWT3
I closed my Aviator card several months ago. Is there any way I can remove it from my online profile? I have one active Barclay card and two closed ones, and I don't want to see the closed cards when I log on.
They will fall off automatically, although it takes a few months.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by nall
They will fall off automatically, although it takes a few months.
Thanks. It's been just shy of five months. I'll wait it out. Not a big deal.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by lancaster
My DP:

A+ #1 opened 11/03/15, converted to Rewards 10/03/16, closed 12/2016.
A+ #2 opened 04/10/17, converted to Rewards 11/10/17, closed 12/2017.
Hawaii opened 06/17/17, closed 2/17/18.
Aviator #1 opened 01/05/17, closed 11/05/17.
Aviator #2 opened 03/05/18, active.
Wyndham opened 12/03/17, active.

I think I usually have the max of 3 Barclay cards. If I need another card, I would have to cancel one according to my record. Normally I would wait 95 plus days between applications. It's a bummer that Arrival+ is gone.
Thanks for the data points. I'm encouraged by your timing of opening and closing and opening the Aviators. I too applied in January 2017, closed in November 2017 and just applied again yesterday. It went pending, so I'm hoping they aren't scared off by my high volume churning with other issuers.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 3:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by jtav559
Any DP's on upgrading a Red to a Silver, to then go back and re-apply later on for a Red to make a total of 2 cards? I have had the red for a few years now, but would love the extra bennies of the silver and the MS opportunities of a 2nd card. Would that 2nd card be churn-able per the timeline mentioned upthread?
Upgraded to the Silver for the extra bennies. Rep said new bennies take 1 week to kick in and that my new AF would post one month after that. Wonder if I could call in after it posts and haggle it down? Doubtful, but any DP are helpful!

Any reports on going back and applying for a 2nd RED card a few months after an upgrade to silver? Would love to turn that 2nd card into a churner and keep the silver for normal purchases.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jtav559
Upgraded to the Silver for the extra bennies. Rep said new bennies take 1 week to kick in and that my new AF would post one month after that. Wonder if I could call in after it posts and haggle it down? Doubtful, but any DP are helpful!

Any reports on going back and applying for a 2nd RED card a few months after an upgrade to silver? Would love to turn that 2nd card into a churner and keep the silver for normal purchases.
I can confirm this works. Applied for AAviator Red #1 in Jan 2017, upgraded to Silver in June - July 2017 time frame. Then applied for AAviator Red #2 in September 2017 and received bonus #2.

I now just upgraded AAviator #2 to Silver last month, and it’s now been 35 days since upgrading, and will push my luck to get AAviator Red #3 later this month. FICO is around 760 FYI. And I’m at about 20/24. These are the only Barclay cards I’ve had.

Hope this helps.
jtav559 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.