Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Personal Card
Click here to get the same offer (see below) with the annual fee waived the first year. First try entering code 999999 in the box at the top of the page. Apparently this offer is from an AA employee selling the card inflight, but it seems to be open to everyone. But publishing that employee's code online could get the employee in trouble. If 999999 doesn't work, use employee code 356467. Note: You will NOT get a $99 Companion Certificate as part of your bonus when the annual fee is waived.
Language from the web offer page: Anniversary Companion Certificate: Each anniversary year; earn a Companion Certificate good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after spending $20,000 on purchases and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date. There is NO LANGUAGE in this offer regarding a "complimentary" companion certificate.

AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
1. 70K offer https://cards.barclaycardus.com/cred...0-8f2f74651285 DEAD

2. 60,000 bonus miles and $99 Companion Certificate after first purchase and paying the $99 annual fee
Offer landing page: https://cards.barclaycardus.com/card...astercard.html

The offer fine print:
The primary cardmember will earn sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the AAdvantage®bonus miles to be deposited into your AAdvantage® account. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

In addition to the sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles, the primary cardmember will earn one (1) domestic economy fare American Airlines introductory Companion Certificate redeemable for one (1) companion ticket at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate after the qualifying purchase has posted to your card account and the annual fee has been paid. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

This one-time offer is valid for eligible cardmembers. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program.
There are data points indicating that this is not always enforced: See posts 439, 496, 514, 516, 517, 538, 835

As of Sept. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, "instantly" by a computer, if they already have an Aviator card open. As of Dec. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, even by recon, if they already have an Aviator card open. It had been that current and previous Aviator Red (US Airways Converted) cardmembers were not subject to the 24-month restriction. This seems to have changed as far as current card holders applying for a second, concurrent card. (See posts #185, 193, 194, 195, 198, 199, 211, 220, 247, 290, 527, 529, 532)

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Business Card, see this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-card-50k.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

RECON. PHONE NUMBERS
Reported phone numbers to call for reconsideration include 866-371-4787, (post 303), 866-205-5973 (post 659), 866-408-4064 (multiple posts), 866-408-4065 (from post #2 in recon thread), 866-369-1283 (from post #7 in recon thread). Other posters have called the general customer service number and asked to be transferred to a credit analyst.

It appears that if your SUB includes the $95 AF (annual fee), Barclays doesn't post the AF until the 2nd statement. Thus, it will be a min. of 2 statements before you see your SUB points. This is only if the SUB requires the AF (as opposed to some SUBs that just have the $x,xxx in purchases with no AF).

There have been at least two cases in July 2023 where Barclays posted the AF prior to the first statement. In both of those cases, the cardholder paid the AF and other balance prior to the closing date. The SUB was issued as of the first statement for one these accounts. It may be the second one was too close to the closing date.

Posting of points from Barclays SUB to AA seem to take 3-7 days after the SUB posts on the Barclays Statement.

Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Old Jun 9, 2017, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Approximately eleven days after I applied for the card and was approved, and five days after I received it, I got a welcome email containing the following language:
Thanks, good to know.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton, Priority Club, USAir, American Express Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rew, United
I applied for the Red Aviator card this yesterday and got a pending response so I called this morning. I was told that I would need to send a front/back copy of my drivers license and ss card and a copy of a current utility bill to verify identity. I have a fraud alert on my credit file. I have to send all of this by regular mail to a po box. I would rather fax it. Doesn't this send odd? I would rather verify information by phone but really don't want to send this sensitive information by regular mail. Has anyone else here had to do this? Thank you!
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:52 am

Existing converted US Airways card holder here. Applied and it went to "your application is being reviewed".

What number do I call tomorrow? Is it 1-866-371-4787?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Existing converted US Airways card holder here. Applied and it went to "your application is being reviewed".

Not sure but if it works would you mind adding it to the WIKI? Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.9MM and counting, HHDiamond, SPG Plat
Just a heads up. I would AVOID this cc. Several reasons: International exchange rates are very high in comparison to other cc. example on recent trip to UK, was charge almost 3/4 of a cent MORE than on Citi bank product per Pound [same day transactions] to US $; customer service STINKS. They are "right", you are wrong... regardless. also... Tried to obtain the difference of 10,000 miles on offer from initial 2017 introduction of the card to AA flyers to todays 50K bonus. Despite spend in excess of $20K in 4 months activity, was told NO. Trying to contact customer service is a minefield of security questions, repeated to 2-3 different "managers" all to no avail. after $25,001 spend, my card goes into shredder and gets cancelled on renewal date. Who needs these headaches?? I also dumped Citi Executive card and their $450 year fee, as for me, the lack of benefits just no longer made sense. Found another no fee card that pays me back 2% in cash. Now, that I can use! Cheers!
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gajs
... International exchange rates are very high in comparison to other cc. example on recent trip to UK, was charge almost 3/4 of a cent MORE than on Citi bank product per Pound [same day transactions] to US $...
Improbable. The exchange rates are set by MasterCard, not by Barclays or Citi. The rate is tied to the posting date, not to the transaction date. You may wish to review if you compared transactions made on the same day but posted on different days. Extensive discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...all-cards.html

dumped Citi Executive card and their $450 year fee, as for me, the lack of benefits just no longer made sense.
The fee is for the Admirals Club membership which also allows free authorized users to access the club. If, or your family, you don't need that you probably don't need the card.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 3:37 am

Husband existing converted US Airwsys holder applied about 10 days ago and went to pending or being reviewed. Barclays called him a couple days later to ask a few questions. He was approved.

A few days later received 2 letters from Barclays. First one contained his welcome information as well as his card. Second letter stated they need more information before they could approve his card.

Activated card and waiting for first statement to close and points to post.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Husband existing converted US Airwsys holder applied about 10 days ago and went to pending or being reviewed. Barclays called him a couple days later to ask a few questions. He was approved.

A few days later received 2 letters from Barclays. First one contained his welcome information as well as his card. Second letter stated they need more information before they could approve his card.

Activated card and waiting for first statement to close and points to post.
Thanks for the DP, YoungBubbie. What kind of additional info were they looking for?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:25 pm

Thanks for the DP, YoungBubbie. What kind of additional info were they looking for?
Just wanted verify address.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Same thing happened to me, except I didn't answer since I was out for dinner with friends at the time, it was like 6-7 pm CST (I don't answer 1-800 calls as a rule of thumb) and they approved me right after I didn't answer, albeit for a super low CL like $1k. Whatever I don't need a big CL to make a first purchase
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
I read through the thread but are not clear, if we have an aviator card already (NOT a US one) that we got in December, can we apply again and get bonus?
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:19 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by chitink
I read through the thread but are not clear, if we have an aviator card already (NOT a US one) that we got in December, can we apply again and get bonus?
Did you read the Wikipost?
Originally Posted by wiki
The offer fine print: First Purchase AAdvantage® Bonus Miles
The primary cardmember will earn forty thousand (40,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles after a first purchase is made on the Account within ninety (90) days of Account opening and the annual fee has been paid. This one-time AAdvantage® bonus mileage offer is valid for first-time cardmembers with new accounts only.
Existing cardmembers, existing accounts, and previous cardmember with accounts closed in the past 24 months may not be eligible for this offer.
And from the Terms and Conditions:
First Purchase AAdvantage® Bonus Miles
The primary cardmember will earn fifty thousand (50,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles after a first purchase is made on the Account within ninety (90) days of Account opening and the annual fee has been paid. This one-time AAdvantage® bonus mileage offer is valid for first-time cardmembers with new accounts only. Existing cardmembers, existing accounts, and previous cardmember with accounts closed in the past 24 months may not be eligible for this offer. This is a limited-time offer and may be canceled at any time without notice. Please allow 4-6 weeks for AAdvantage® bonus miles to be deposited into your AAdvantage® account after the qualifying transaction has posted and your annual fee has been paid.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 14, 2017 at 2:26 pm
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I asked about churnability last week and also got a non-answer. I don't think we have any concrete data points yet.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
Did you read the Wikipost?
And from the Terms and Conditions:
Except we know that's not all enforced for those who had the card converted from a US Airways card. And that's why chitink was saying it's not clear, because if the T&Cs don't mean anything for those who had Aviator cards before Dec 2015 (when they started being issued afresh), then how do we know whether the T&C mean anything at all, except by getting datapoints of people who got one in, say, January, and try for another one in, say, June.

All I can say is that back in the US Airways days, it mattered how long you waited between applications, though an exact minimum time to wait was not really determined. Barclay never seemed to allow "fast churning" in the sense of Citi or BofA. So June after January might still be pushing it, I'm not sure.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA, UA
I got the card 12/2016. More than likely I'll cancel when the next AF hits. When I do, the miles posted I earned from the card (sign up bonus and other everyday spending ones) will still be available on my AA account, right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.