Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Personal Card
Click here to get the same offer (see below) with the annual fee waived the first year. First try entering code 999999 in the box at the top of the page. Apparently this offer is from an AA employee selling the card inflight, but it seems to be open to everyone. But publishing that employee's code online could get the employee in trouble. If 999999 doesn't work, use employee code 356467. Note: You will NOT get a $99 Companion Certificate as part of your bonus when the annual fee is waived.
Language from the web offer page: Anniversary Companion Certificate: Each anniversary year; earn a Companion Certificate good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after spending $20,000 on purchases and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date. There is NO LANGUAGE in this offer regarding a "complimentary" companion certificate.

AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
1. 70K offer https://cards.barclaycardus.com/cred...0-8f2f74651285 DEAD

2. 60,000 bonus miles and $99 Companion Certificate after first purchase and paying the $99 annual fee
Offer landing page: https://cards.barclaycardus.com/card...astercard.html

The offer fine print:
The primary cardmember will earn sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the AAdvantage®bonus miles to be deposited into your AAdvantage® account. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

In addition to the sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles, the primary cardmember will earn one (1) domestic economy fare American Airlines introductory Companion Certificate redeemable for one (1) companion ticket at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate after the qualifying purchase has posted to your card account and the annual fee has been paid. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

This one-time offer is valid for eligible cardmembers. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program.
There are data points indicating that this is not always enforced: See posts 439, 496, 514, 516, 517, 538, 835

As of Sept. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, "instantly" by a computer, if they already have an Aviator card open. As of Dec. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, even by recon, if they already have an Aviator card open. It had been that current and previous Aviator Red (US Airways Converted) cardmembers were not subject to the 24-month restriction. This seems to have changed as far as current card holders applying for a second, concurrent card. (See posts #185, 193, 194, 195, 198, 199, 211, 220, 247, 290, 527, 529, 532)

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Business Card, see this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-card-50k.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

RECON. PHONE NUMBERS
Reported phone numbers to call for reconsideration include 866-371-4787, (post 303), 866-205-5973 (post 659), 866-408-4064 (multiple posts), 866-408-4065 (from post #2 in recon thread), 866-369-1283 (from post #7 in recon thread). Other posters have called the general customer service number and asked to be transferred to a credit analyst.

It appears that if your SUB includes the $95 AF (annual fee), Barclays doesn't post the AF until the 2nd statement. Thus, it will be a min. of 2 statements before you see your SUB points. This is only if the SUB requires the AF (as opposed to some SUBs that just have the $x,xxx in purchases with no AF).

There have been at least two cases in July 2023 where Barclays posted the AF prior to the first statement. In both of those cases, the cardholder paid the AF and other balance prior to the closing date. The SUB was issued as of the first statement for one these accounts. It may be the second one was too close to the closing date.

Posting of points from Barclays SUB to AA seem to take 3-7 days after the SUB posts on the Barclays Statement.

Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2018, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by timzheng
I've paid the balance off 10 days ago and there is still no miles. The balance included initial spending and the AF.
Originally Posted by fredc84
Same here. First statement had my annual fee and spend. I paid it off 11 days ago. Ant idea how long can we expect the mikes to take?
2nd statement closing. Barclays does not send miles to AA in mid cycle. I believe AMEX is the only issuer to issue bonus midcycle as soon as conditions are met. Hyatt card in the past when under FNs also issued FNs when earned. No idea how it works now under pts. Most other issuers dont issue bonus before statement closing.

Scroll back in late Summer last year, some people did not get the bonus until their 2nd statement closed despite they paid the AF immediately after it posted. There were some suggestions that PREPAY the AF before it was billed, but the results were mixed, i.e. not a guarantee way to see the bonus on first statement closing.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by Happy
2nd statement closing. Barclays does not send miles to AA in mid cycle. I believe AMEX is the only issuer to issue bonus midcycle as soon as conditions are met. Hyatt card in the past when under FNs also issued FNs when earned. No idea how it works now under pts. Most other issuers dont issue bonus before statement closing.

Scroll back in late Summer last year, some people did not get the bonus until their 2nd statement closed despite they paid the AF immediately after it posted. There were some suggestions that PREPAY the AF before it was billed, but the results were mixed, i.e. not a guarantee way to see the bonus on first statement closing.
I'm not ask if Barclay's would pay mid cycle like Amex. Amex will pay the bonus a few days after meeting the spend requirement even before the statement closes. In my first cycle I met all the requirements for the bonus (spend and annual fee being charged) and then the cycle closed, I received the bill, received the miles for the spend, paid that bill, but did not receive the 60K sign up bonus. So, are you suggesting that another cycle (even with no activity what so ever) has to go by and then I will receive the bonus? My SO received the bonus on the card on the first statement closing after completing the requirements, there was no 1 month delay. I was one of those who had to wait 2 months (on my first card, not this current one), but that was because the 1st month closing did not include the annual fee, that didn't hit until my 2nd statement.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:38 am

I'm not ask if Barclay's would pay mid cycle like Amex. Amex will pay the bonus a few days after meeting the spend requirement even before the statement closes. In my first cycle I met all the requirements for the bonus (spend and annual fee being charged) and then the cycle closed, I received the bill, received the miles for the spend, paid that bill, but did not receive the 60K sign up bonus. So, are you suggesting that another cycle (even with no activity what so ever) has to go by and then I will receive the bonus? My SO received the bonus on the card on the first statement closing after completing the requirements, there was no 1 month delay. I was one of those who had to wait 2 months (on my first card, not this current one), but that was because the 1st month closing did not include the annual fee, that didn't hit until my 2nd statement.
Terms do not say that you have to be charged annual fee to receive bonus. They say you have to pay the fee. If you had paid the fee in advance, you would have received bonus on 1st statement. Since you did not, your bonus will post on the next statement after you pay your fees.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by vm81
Terms do not say that you have to be charged annual fee to receive bonus. They say you have to pay the fee. If you had paid the fee in advance, you would have received bonus on 1st statement. Since you did not, your bonus will post on the next statement after you pay your fees.
Just so I understand, LOL, It is not possible to receive the bonus miles at the end of the first statement if it is not paid until after that 1st statement is paid off and since it is paid while the 2nd statement is open, that statement has to close first before the bonus will hit. LOL, I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning. Interestingly, on my Barclays AA biz card, which I believe has the same award rules, my first statement shows me earning the 40K but the annual fee has not hit my account yet AND I have not paid the statement off yet.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:39 am

Just so I understand, LOL, It is not possible to receive the bonus miles at the end of the first statement if it is not paid until after that 1st statement is paid off and since it is paid while the 2nd statement is open, that statement has to close first before the bonus will hit. LOL, I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning. Interestingly, on my Barclays AA biz card, which I believe has the same award rules, my first statement shows me earning the 40K but the annual fee has not hit my account yet AND I have not paid the statement off yet.
It is very simple. Barclay's only deposits points at statement close. So it's either 1st statement or 2nd statement...nothing in between.

Now let's say you opened the card on Jan 1st and charged $1 on Jan 10th. On Jan 15th you pay $90 ($1 that you charged and $89 fee that hasn't been charged yet). In that scenario you will get the miles at the end of ur 1st statement...let's say Jan 28th. It will show ur annual fee but u have already paid that. This is how it has worked for me and what my understanding is. If you did not make that payment on Jan 15th but instead waited till after your statement close on Jan 28th...let's say Feb 5th....u will get those miles on ur 2nd statement close on Feb 28th.

This is how it worked for me last time. If they have shut down paying in advance loophole...then you will have to wait till 2nd statement close.

I can't make it anymore clear....and if you are not happy with way Barclay's does it...don't get their card or try your luck fighting it.

Last edited by vm81; Jan 27, 2018 at 10:44 am
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by vm81
It is very simple. Barclay's only deposits points at statement close. So it's either 1st statement or 2nd statement...nothing in between.

Now let's say you opened the card on Jan 1st and charged $1 on Jan 10th. On Jan 15th you pay $90 ($1 that you charged and $89 fee that hasn't been charged yet). In that scenario you will get the miles at the end of ur 1st statement...let's say Jan 28th. It will show ur annual fee but u have already paid that. This is how it has worked for me and what my understanding is. If you did not make that payment on Jan 15th but instead waited till after your statement close on Jan 28th...let's say Feb 5th....u will get those miles on ur 2nd statement close on Feb 28th.

I can't make it anymore clear....and if you are not happy with way Barclay's does it...don't get their card or try your luck fighting it.
No, I get it and I have never been "not happy" with how it works...I couldn't spend the ~2 million AA miles we've earned over the last 2 years that fast anyway. I just like to know how these things work esp. since I have given advice to a few friends and family about this habit.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, I get it and I have never been "not happy" with how it works...I couldn't spend the ~2 million AA miles we've earned over the last 2 years that fast anyway. I just like to know how these things work esp. since I have given advice to a few friends and family about this habit.
Read my initial reply to your question - PREPAYMENT of the AF does NOT guarantee you to receive the bonus on first statement close. Please scroll back to last year in Aug to Oct period as what you asked has been discussed and ACTUAL DPs posted - that showed it is YMMV on the Prepayment.

To summarize - Barclays would NOT issue bonus UNTIL AFTER you pay the AF. Prepayment the AF even before it is charged during the first statement, DOES NOT GUARANTEE you will get the bonus at first statement closing. It is extremely YMMV and nobody has cracked the code yet. My random guess is, there is a cut off date of BATCH PROCESSING, much like how Chase tally the spend in meeting the requirement - in that, spend within the window of 1 week to 10 days to the statement closing date, does NOT make the cut off, and would be counted in the NEXT statement cycle. May be this would help you understand it better. Again, nobody has any solid idea how Barclays operates. Therefore, the best advice to give your friends and family members is, Prepaid it, but DONT count on the bonus would show up on first statement closing so they dont count on the miles to book something. One thing so far you can trust is, Barclays would give you the bonus as long as it gives you the card and you meet the requirements. I hope this is clear enough for you to understand how Barclays works.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...Barclays would NOT issue bonus UNTIL AFTER you pay the AF. .....
Barclays does award the business AAdvantage bonus before the fee is paid. The business website is completely different, and I wonder if the entire business card operation is outsourced.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 4:39 pm

Read my initial reply to your question - PREPAYMENT of the AF does NOT guarantee you to receive the bonus on first statement close. Please scroll back to last year in Aug to Oct period as what you asked has been discussed and ACTUAL DPs posted - that showed it is YMMV on the Prepayment.

To summarize - Barclays would NOT issue bonus UNTIL AFTER you pay the AF. Prepayment the AF even before it is charged during the first statement, DOES NOT GUARANTEE you will get the bonus at first statement closing. It is extremely YMMV and nobody has cracked the code yet. My random guess is, there is a cut off date of BATCH PROCESSING, much like how Chase tally the spend in meeting the requirement - in that, spend within the window of 1 week to 10 days to the statement closing date, does NOT make the cut off, and would be counted in the NEXT statement cycle. May be this would help you understand it better. Again, nobody has any solid idea how Barclays operates. Therefore, the best advice to give your friends and family members is, Prepaid it, but DONT count on the bonus would show up on first statement closing so they dont count on the miles to book something. One thing so far you can trust is, Barclays would give you the bonus as long as it gives you the card and you meet the requirements. I hope this is clear enough for you to understand how Barclays works.
I never said doing anything guarantees anything, just that now I know why it worked for my SO. I'm smart enough to understand this stuff....eventually.

Last edited by EmailKid; Jan 28, 2018 at 4:53 pm Reason: Personal comments and replies deleted
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Barclays does award the business AAdvantage bonus before the fee is paid. The business website is completely different, and I wonder if the entire business card operation is outsourced.
Thank you mia for pointing it out. Because we are talking the bonus in the Personal card hence I replied in the context of personal card. I too, feel the business card operation looks very different from the personal side of their card operation.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never said doing anything guarantees anything, just that now I know why it worked for my SO. I'm smart enough to understand this stuff....eventually.
My responses to you is NOT specifically meant to you. I was just trying to explain things bit clearer, and it is not just for your benefits, but for the community especially this question When will the bonus post? is being asked again and again and again. So hopefully readers who are new to the Barclay cards would come across the answers easier as it seems nobody cares to read back or read the wiki.

Here is a reminder on another card - the Club Carlson business card. When you and a few other posters did not really know how US Bank handles its business card online, I was the one figure out how it works and gives step to step understanding on the NEED to set up a business card log in, if the cardholder wants to have full information and access to all the functions of his business card. Before I posted that information (for future reference should anyone need to find the info), nobody seemed to know how it exactly works. Because after all since the 2-4-1 died 3 years ago, there is no more need to have 2 Club Carlson accounts so hardly anyone would get both cards unless they need the points. Therefore good and useful info were buried long time ago. A fresh DP would help the community.

Last edited by EmailKid; Jan 28, 2018 at 4:55 pm Reason: Personal comments and replies removed
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:47 pm

Talking about the business card for a moment if we have them, are the data points for approval any different than for the personal card ?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rover4618
Talking about the business card for a moment if we have them, are the data points for approval any different than for the personal card ?
Business card has its own dedicated thread right in this forum. May be there are DPs in that thread?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:55 pm

Business card has its own dedicated thread right in this forum. May be there are DPs in that thread?
Did not know that thank you.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: oneworld
Does Previous non-AA Barclay card disqualify?

I had a Barclay Arrival Plus card for 4 years which I inherited when my Virgin card was phased out. I just canceled the card last week.

Will this disqualify me from getting the 60K bonus for signing up for the Aviator Red card? Even though my previous Barclay card was not AA related, and today I do not own any Barclays cards? Also how can I find out in advance of signing up if I will get the 60K?

THX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.