Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Personal Card
Click here to get the same offer (see below) with the annual fee waived the first year. First try entering code 999999 in the box at the top of the page. Apparently this offer is from an AA employee selling the card inflight, but it seems to be open to everyone. But publishing that employee's code online could get the employee in trouble. If 999999 doesn't work, use employee code 356467. Note: You will NOT get a $99 Companion Certificate as part of your bonus when the annual fee is waived.
Language from the web offer page: Anniversary Companion Certificate: Each anniversary year; earn a Companion Certificate good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after spending $20,000 on purchases and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date. There is NO LANGUAGE in this offer regarding a "complimentary" companion certificate.

AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
1. 70K offer https://cards.barclaycardus.com/cred...0-8f2f74651285 DEAD

2. 60,000 bonus miles and $99 Companion Certificate after first purchase and paying the $99 annual fee
Offer landing page: https://cards.barclaycardus.com/card...astercard.html

The offer fine print:
The primary cardmember will earn sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage bonus miles after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the AAdvantagebonus miles to be deposited into your AAdvantage account. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

In addition to the sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage bonus miles, the primary cardmember will earn one (1) domestic economy fare American Airlines introductory Companion Certificate redeemable for one (1) companion ticket at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate after the qualifying purchase has posted to your card account and the annual fee has been paid. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

This one-time offer is valid for eligible cardmembers. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program.
There are data points indicating that this is not always enforced: See posts 439, 496, 514, 516, 517, 538, 835

As of Sept. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, "instantly" by a computer, if they already have an Aviator card open. As of Dec. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, even by recon, if they already have an Aviator card open. It had been that current and previous Aviator Red (US Airways Converted) cardmembers were not subject to the 24-month restriction. This seems to have changed as far as current card holders applying for a second, concurrent card. (See posts #185, 193, 194, 195, 198, 199, 211, 220, 247, 290, 527, 529, 532)

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Business Card, see this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-card-50k.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

RECON. PHONE NUMBERS
Reported phone numbers to call for reconsideration include 866-371-4787, (post 303), 866-205-5973 (post 659), 866-408-4064 (multiple posts), 866-408-4065 (from post #2 in recon thread), 866-369-1283 (from post #7 in recon thread). Other posters have called the general customer service number and asked to be transferred to a credit analyst.

It appears that if your SUB includes the $95 AF (annual fee), Barclays doesn't post the AF until the 2nd statement. Thus, it will be a min. of 2 statements before you see your SUB points. This is only if the SUB requires the AF (as opposed to some SUBs that just have the $x,xxx in purchases with no AF).

There have been at least two cases in July 2023 where Barclays posted the AF prior to the first statement. In both of those cases, the cardholder paid the AF and other balance prior to the closing date. The SUB was issued as of the first statement for one these accounts. It may be the second one was too close to the closing date.

Posting of points from Barclays SUB to AA seem to take 3-7 days after the SUB posts on the Barclays Statement.

Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Old Nov 25, 2017, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by Venomous West
most cards nowadays got the 24 months restriction, which this card seems to have, and they're based on the date the account is closed, not when it's opened.
What??? Not unless things greatly changed overnight. Yes, Citi and Chase have a 24 month policy. AMEX has a once in a lifetime policy. B/A has a new 2/3/4 policy on any of their cards. And as far as I know Barclays and USB don't have any such policy at all. And while Citi goes by the opened/closed date, Chase goes on the date the last sign up bonus posted.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
When I log in, I see a card without WORLD written anywhere, but it's got red-and-yellow MasterCard logo like you show here, rather than the grey and white logo that's shown a couple posts above on the right.

(In fact, I see that very same design, bigger, without even logging in, when it recognizes me based on cookies and says "Hello, Aviator" or whatever. )
I'll send you a PM with further insight to avoid hijacking, but if anyone has the new World Elite logo please post, thanks.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
What??? Not unless things greatly changed overnight. Yes, Citi and Chase have a 24 month policy. AMEX has a once in a lifetime policy. B/A has a new 2/3/4 policy on any of their cards. And as far as I know Barclays and USB don't have any such policy at all. And while Citi goes by the opened/closed date, Chase goes on the date the last sign up bonus posted.
Barclays has the new restrictive language at least in the Aviator card T&Cs now. You should read it.
The only difference is, Barclays has not had a system based mechanism to implement the language, like Chase and Citi do.
Not enforcing the T&Cs do not mean Barclays does not have such policy. You may want to read thru the fine print - else it would be like the misunderstanding you have on how the US Bank Club Carlson business card is handled, though not the bonus restriction but how the online account is set up as well as how the Club Carlson account is linked.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Uh, it's in the wiki. It was discussed quite a bit when the card was launched. It is slightly more restrictive than Citi (in wording) in that it says you can't be a current card holder. Lucky for us, they don't seem to be following this policy as of yet.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by fredc84
Uh, it's in the wiki. It was discussed quite a bit when the card was launched. It is slightly more restrictive than Citi (in wording) in that it says you can't be a current card holder. Lucky for us, they don't seem to be following this policy as of yet.
OK, there is language in the T/C that has never been enforced. So what? I could care less what the T/C say, unless/until they begin to enforce that. Therefore my previous post was about the facts of applying. It would be a shame if people read the posts above and mistakenly think they cannot successfully reapply for this card.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
OK, there is language in the T/C that has never been enforced. So what? I could care less what the T/C say, unless/until they begin to enforce that. Therefore my previous post was about the facts of applying. It would be a shame if people read the posts above and mistakenly think they cannot successfully reapply for this card.
You said: "And as far as I know Barclays and USB don't have any such policy at all." Their policy is 24 months open, closed, and not being a current card holder. Whether or not people are getting around it or getting caught by it (and we've seen examples of both) but they definitely have the policy. Just like on the AA Citi thread, both wiki's state the policy and they both note there are or have been exceptions. It would also be a shame (as you said) if someone reads a post and thinks there are no restrictions and then ends up being one of those unlucky enough to get caught by it.
Happy likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You said: "And as far as I know Barclays and USB don't have any such policy at all." Their policy is 24 months open, closed, and not being a current card holder. Whether or not people are getting around it or getting caught by it (and we've seen examples of both) but they definitely have the policy. Just like on the AA Citi thread, both wiki's state the policy and they both note there are or have been exceptions. It would also be a shame (as you said) if someone reads a post and thinks there are no restrictions and then ends up being one of those unlucky enough to get caught by it.
At least Barclays deviates from the written policy to our benefit, and consistently. Citi randomly deviates from the written policy to our peril, claiming cards that aren't listed as disqualifying on the T&Cs are disqualifying: At least two people got initial denials at Citi (which were hard to fight and reverse) about not being eligible for a business AA card bonus because they had applied for a personal card with the past 24 months, when the stated T&Cs say personal and business cards don't count against each other. Then more recently someone got denied a bonus on a TYP Premier or Prestige card based on a Forward card being closed (which is a card that earns TYP but is not mentioned as one of the disqualifying cards on the TYP Premier/Prestige applications)!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:36 am

First of all, I said "as far as I know", which was and still is true. Where are these examples of people being denied for these T/Cs? I'm not aware of any, but of course that doesn't mean they don't exist. But on the other hand, maybe the denials were for some other reason, and the CSR misspoke, or the OP was mistaken.

And yes, I should have said, to be technically ultra correct, "Barclays and USB don't enforce any such policy". Happy now?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:39 am

First of all, I said "as far as I know", which was and still is true. Where are these examples of people being denied for these T/Cs? I'm not aware of any, but of course that doesn't mean they don't exist. But on the other hand, maybe the denials were for some other reason, and the CSR misspoke, or the OP was mistaken.

And yes, I should have said, to be technically ultra correct, "Barclays and USB don't enforce any such policy". Happy now?
BTW, I wasn't referring to people being denied for have the same exact card open when applying for another. That has lots of YMMV reports. What I was referring to was a not having opened or closed the same exact card within the past 24 months. I haven't seen any reports of that, but my eye sight isn't what it used to be.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I have one Aviator open, planning to churn it. Hopefully will work!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually they did, starting the last 2 weeks of Sept. Many here who have the existing Aviator card were auto-denied when applying the 2nd one. Some were able to recon thru it but it has been getting much more difficult as time goes on.

Indeed there are quite a bit of discussion of such since October.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Our experiences were AUTO-DENIED when applying the 2nd card with an existing card back in second half of Sept - just when the policy has become "enforced" by the system. We did not bother to recon it and just decided to close the existing cards despite the 10K anniversary miles because 10K AA miles definitely not worth the $89 fee. With the same $89 fee one can get another Aviator should one do not have an existing one, and get the 60K. This part of the application process has NOT been enforced by Barclays , yet.

So there are 2 layers of the current scenario -
Having an existing card now will get auto-denied by the system, but could be able to recon thru it, though it has been getting much more difficult. Not everyone is willing to keep doing HUCA for that.
Once no more existing Aviator card, and not having many inquiries / new accounts in recent months, plus no new Barclays application the past few months, it seems one could sail thru the system and get an auto-approval.
So this part of the restriction, (closed the card within 24 months) is not enforced by the system. At least not yet.

To sum up - the current enforced restriction is by the system denial on anyone who applies a second Aviator while still holding an existing Aviator.
We will not know when and if, the other restrictions being enforced, until DPs surface.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 3:02 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, M Life Gold, Wyndham Diamond, Caesars Diamond, IHG Plat
My wife and I have not received our 60k AA miles, should I be worried? Never had a Barclay card before.

10/10 Received Aviator Red Card
10/15 First Purchased ($3.78)
10/31 Annual Fee applied $95
11/16 Closing statement
11/18 Payment received.

Her statement was closed on 11/15 and paid off 11/17.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by plzkthx
My wife and I have not received our 60k AA miles, should I be worried? Never had a Barclay card before.

10/10 Received Aviator Red Card
10/15 First Purchased ($3.78)
10/31 Annual Fee applied $95
11/16 Closing statement
11/18 Payment received.

Her statement was closed on 11/15 and paid off 11/17.
Look for it on the next statement since the fee wasn't paid prior to the last statement.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by oneworld82
I have one Aviator open, planning to churn it. Hopefully will work!
you cannot churn it while its open!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.