Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Old Dec 28, 2016, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: philemer
Personal Card
Click here to get the same offer (see below) with the annual fee waived the first year. First try entering code 999999 in the box at the top of the page. Apparently this offer is from an AA employee selling the card inflight, but it seems to be open to everyone. But publishing that employee's code online could get the employee in trouble. If 999999 doesn't work, use employee code 356467. Note: You will NOT get a $99 Companion Certificate as part of your bonus when the annual fee is waived.
Language from the web offer page: Anniversary Companion Certificate: Each anniversary year; earn a Companion Certificate good for 1 guest at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after spending $20,000 on purchases and your account remains open for 45 days after your anniversary date. There is NO LANGUAGE in this offer regarding a "complimentary" companion certificate.

AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard
1. 70K offer https://cards.barclaycardus.com/cred...0-8f2f74651285 DEAD

2. 60,000 bonus miles and $99 Companion Certificate after first purchase and paying the $99 annual fee
Offer landing page: https://cards.barclaycardus.com/card...astercard.html

The offer fine print:
The primary cardmember will earn sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 4-6 weeks for the AAdvantage®bonus miles to be deposited into your AAdvantage® account. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

In addition to the sixty thousand (60,000) AAdvantage® bonus miles, the primary cardmember will earn one (1) domestic economy fare American Airlines introductory Companion Certificate redeemable for one (1) companion ticket at $99 (plus taxes and fees) after a purchase is made on the card account within ninety (90) days of card account opening and the annual fee has been paid. Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery of the Companion Certificate after the qualifying purchase has posted to your card account and the annual fee has been paid. Balance transfers and cash advances do not qualify as purchases. This offer may be canceled at any time without notice.

This one-time offer is valid for eligible cardmembers. You may not be eligible for this offer if you currently have or previously had an account with us in this program.
There are data points indicating that this is not always enforced: See posts 439, 496, 514, 516, 517, 538, 835

As of Sept. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, "instantly" by a computer, if they already have an Aviator card open. As of Dec. 2017, most people applying for an Aviator card are being denied, even by recon, if they already have an Aviator card open. It had been that current and previous Aviator Red (US Airways Converted) cardmembers were not subject to the 24-month restriction. This seems to have changed as far as current card holders applying for a second, concurrent card. (See posts #185, 193, 194, 195, 198, 199, 211, 220, 247, 290, 527, 529, 532)

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

Business Card, see this thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-card-50k.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

RECON. PHONE NUMBERS
Reported phone numbers to call for reconsideration include 866-371-4787, (post 303), 866-205-5973 (post 659), 866-408-4064 (multiple posts), 866-408-4065 (from post #2 in recon thread), 866-369-1283 (from post #7 in recon thread). Other posters have called the general customer service number and asked to be transferred to a credit analyst.

It appears that if your SUB includes the $95 AF (annual fee), Barclays doesn't post the AF until the 2nd statement. Thus, it will be a min. of 2 statements before you see your SUB points. This is only if the SUB requires the AF (as opposed to some SUBs that just have the $x,xxx in purchases with no AF).

There have been at least two cases in July 2023 where Barclays posted the AF prior to the first statement. In both of those cases, the cardholder paid the AF and other balance prior to the closing date. The SUB was issued as of the first statement for one these accounts. It may be the second one was too close to the closing date.

Posting of points from Barclays SUB to AA seem to take 3-7 days after the SUB posts on the Barclays Statement.

Print Wikipost

Barclays AAdvantage Aviator PERSONAL Card (2016 - 2023)

Old May 31, 2018, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by bigboy61
I was wondering what my chances of getting approved for this card were. I am a college student with about $5k-$9k income per year. I have a Discover card with 2.6k credit line and a 784 FICO score. Is my income too low to get approved for the card? '
Your credit history is short and income is low( i am not sure if you can use household income instead of your income to improve your odds), if you use your income you probably won't get approved but it doesn't hurt to try, take a shot at it and if it doesn't go through, wait awhile, apply for easier cards, build your credit and come back later.

Additionally, I was wondering if other family members having this card affects my chances of getting the bonus. My mom currently has the card, but if me and my dad both open one (assuming we got approved) would we both get the bonus? Neither of us are authorized users on the other aviator red. Thanks!
Family members have no effect on you getting the bonus.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigboy61
I was wondering what my chances of getting approved for this card were. I am a college student with about $5k-$9k income per year. I have a Discover card with 2.6k credit line and a 784 FICO score. Is my income too low to get approved for the card? Additionally, I was wondering if other family members having this card affects my chances of getting the bonus. My mom currently has the card, but if me and my dad both open one (assuming we got approved) would we both get the bonus? Neither of us are authorized users on the other aviator red. Thanks!
It's hard for me to tell whether you'll get approved with your low income as a student, but I can tell you that:

1. You each have to have your own AAdvantage account, and if you do then:
2. Each of you will get a bonus for your own AAdvantage account if you're approved (and then if you make at least one purchase and also pay the annual fee). There's no "family lockout" or anything of the sort. Each application is based on your SSN, and obviously each of you have a separate SSN.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Is the only downgrade/product change option on this card the no annual fee version? Don't want to pay an AF for both Barclays and the Citi AA cards...

Would actually love to product change into the Arrival Premier but IIRC product changes must be in same brand and Barclays doesn't allow anything to PC into Arrival Premier? Don't want to waste an application on a card with no bonus...
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:52 pm

Some datapoints in todays /r/churning daily discussion thread suggest that is it possible to PC to a no-fee BarclayCard Rewards card, and that they might even offer a nice bonus for spending after the PC: https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co..._2018/e106sov/

It also looks like its YMMV. Its possible they are only allowing PC for those that are targeted for the spending bonus.
msp3 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by msp3
Is the only downgrade/product change option on this card the no annual fee version? Don't want to pay an AF for both Barclays and the Citi AA cards..
Why downgrade or product change at all?

Many people get the annual fee waiver, plus often a bonus-on-spend offer, by calling Barclay after they get their "AF coming up" letter: Year after year. ^

Barclays retention offers (all cards)

When you can keep the card for free, why in the world bother downgrading it or product changing it?

There's something similar for Citi AA, but it's not quite as reliable, and it tends to be a credit equal to the AF for a little bit of spend. But it's net "no fee" there too if you can get that. Check out the retention thread in the Citi forum for that.
msp3 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Why downgrade or product change at all? .
One reason I can think of is if you want to apply for a new card, with a new sign up bonus, with the odds being you will not be approved if you have the same card open when you apply. So if someone for some reason wants to keep a card open with Barclays, but also apply for a new Aviator, the most likely route is a PC.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by RobertHanson
One reason I can think of is if you want to apply for a new card, with a new sign up bonus, with the odds being you will not be approved if you have the same card open when you apply. So if someone for some reason wants to keep a card open with Barclays, but also apply for a new Aviator, the most likely route is a PC.
Exactly what I did with our first Alaska cards with BoA. Didn't do it with Barclays, though. Not sure if that will matter or not, I got my 2nd personal AA card from them with no problems.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by fredc84
Exactly what I did with our first Alaska cards with BoA. Didn't do it with Barclays, though. Not sure if that will matter or not, I got my 2nd personal AA card from them with no problems.
They no longer approve a second Aviator if you have one open, as of late 2017. Also changes have been made to retention (much harder) as of a month or so.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by moe8555
They no longer approve a second Aviator if you have one open, as of late 2017. Also changes have been made to retention (much harder) as of a month or so.
No one is talking about getting a 2nd while first is still open, just product changing the 1st one to something else. In my case I had already cancelled Aviator #1 .
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Any DPs for offer bumps above the current 50k offer? (Red card)
Old Jun 24, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: DL Skymiles (silver) & AA Advantage
We just flew on AA this past week and received the in-flight offer of the Barclays Red Aviator with a 50k bonus . . . plus another 500 for being new to the Barclays' card. The downside is the $95 annual fee for the first year. (All other airline cards we've obtained in the past were no AF the first year.) The $95 fee for the 50k miles seems to be worthwhile, especially if we plan on cancelling the card after a few months and have the bonus in our AA miles accounts.

Is there something we're missing here?

P.S. I had the AA Citi VISA and have churned it twice (most recently back in February I cancelled after 10 mos). Does that activity with CitiBank matter in terms of this offer from Barclays?

Originally Posted by gmt4
Any DPs for offer bumps above the current 50k offer? (Red card)
What is "DP"?

Last edited by mia; Jun 24, 2018 at 12:45 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by TimeshareVon
We just flew on AA this past week and received the in-flight offer of the Barclays Red Aviator with a 50k bonus . . . plus another 500 for being new to the Barclays' card. The downside is the $95 annual fee for the first year. (All other airline cards we've obtained in the past were no AF the first year.) The $95 fee for the 50k miles seems to be worthwhile, especially if we plan on cancelling the card after a few months and have the bonus in our AA miles accounts.

P.S. I had the AA Citi VISA and have churned it twice (most recently back in February I cancelled after 10 mos). Does that activity with CitiBank matter in terms of this offer from Barclays?
The reason you have to pay the annual fee is that the fee is part of the requirement for actually getting the bonus...it's not for other cards which is why they can waive it. But, at least for this card, you don't have to spend $3K or more to get the bonus.

What is "DP"?
Data Point.

Last edited by mia; Jun 24, 2018 at 12:44 pm Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro

Why cancel after a few months? You've paid the fee so at least keep it for a year. Barclays tends to have a bonus one quarter a year that can be an effective 3X miles per dollar up to a certain amount.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles (silver) & AA Advantage
Originally Posted by moe8555
Why cancel after a few months? You've paid the fee so at least keep it for a year. Barclays tends to have a bonus one quarter a year that can be an effective 3X miles per dollar up to a certain amount.
Agreed . . . we generally are churners and cancel before the first annual fee is assessed. We'd get this one for the 50k bonus . . . and drop it before having to pay the AF again.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 11:44 am

The $95 fee for the 50k miles seems to be worthwhile, especially if we plan on cancelling the card after a few months and have the bonus in our AA miles accounts.
Why would you cancel quickly after having paid the fee? Barclays won't give you another card only a few months after the first one. You have to wait anywhere from 6 to 12 months for another Barclays card of any sort. And if you plan to ever apply for another Barclays card, and they see you did a "get bonus and quickly cancel" scheme they will be much more likely to deny your app. Better to keep the card until the new AF posts, and do some regular small spend each month in the meantime, to keep up the appearance of being a "good client".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.