Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

New USAA 2.5% Limitless Cashback Rewards Visa (targeted USAA members only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mikesyr18
Card is no longer available to new applicants.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2016, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Folks on Reddit are reporting being targeted for a 2.5% unlimited cash back Visa card. I'm a USAA member but was not targeted. I called them up and they said it will be open to all members "soon" - I pressed for more specifics - "before the end of the year?" and he said he wasn't quite sure it would be ready that quickly. It's in a pilot with "handpicked members" right now to "work out the kinks." He also asked me if I had heard about it through their commercial - apparently there will be a commercial advertising this product, although it seems silly to do that when only a small percentage of current customers can even apply for it. Here are the relevant details from the Reddit thread:

Seems like it's some sort of pilot you can only get within the app. Anyway, I was just approved for this card last night, and it seems like a great way to earn cash back on the purchases that only earn 1% on most cards (2% if you have citi double). Some other details:
-As long as you maintain a $1000 monthly direct deposit into a USAA checking account, you continue to earn 2.5% cashback
-When you do not maintain the required direct deposit, earn 1.5% cashback (instead of 2.5%) on purchases.
-no annual fee
-no signup bonus
-only USAA members are able to apply for USAA credit cards
Anyone able to apply for it?
Old Oct 3, 2016, 4:32 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by bodiddely

Anyone able to apply for it?
Looks interesting, but apparently I wasn't invited
Old Oct 4, 2016, 7:46 am

No dice here either. However, if this card is offered to all members, this would be good enough to make me consider playing the points game less (since 2.5% trumps the average value of nearly all points programs).
Old Oct 4, 2016, 8:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
... 2.5% trumps the average value of nearly all points programs).
On a per point basis, but not when other cards award multiple points per dollar, and not when we earn a new account bonus. Example: 1.5 American Express Membership Rewards points or 1.5 Chase Ultimate Rewards points per dollar are worth more than $0.025 if redeemed at more than $0.0166.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by mia
On a per point basis, but not when other cards award multiple points per dollar, and not when we earn a new account bonus. Example: 1.5 American Express Membership Rewards points or 1.5 Chase Ultimate Rewards points per dollar are worth more than $0.025 if redeemed at more than $0.0166.
That is definitely true, but for those who don't want to keep jumping around from card to card or carrying so many at once (not talking 2-3, more like 6 or more) and having to remember what card to use where, it can be an attractive trade-off.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 11:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by MASTERNC
... those who don't want to keep jumping around from card to card ...
There is no need to carry multiple cards to earn 1.5 MR or UR on all spending. It's exactly the same as using a single cash back card. I am not opposed to 2.5% cash back, just making the narrow point that comparing the value of "a" point is not enough to make an informed decision. (There are also 1.5 mile cards available for United Airlines and Virgin Atlantic.)
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:10 am

Can anybody still get a USAA membership? I am a member, but my friend who is not would like to apply.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Can anybody still get a USAA membership? I am a member, but my friend who is not would like to apply.
They used to allow "limited" membership (i.e. no insurance, but banking product access) for non-military but discontinued that a while back.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:03 pm

Any idea how MS friendly USAA is with this card?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
This would be my default card for anything going forward if it becomes available in VA - minus 5X bonus categories on some other cards, as the FF miles are devalued quite a bit these days.

Don't see that lasting though as it would be a huge loss leader, and USAA is pretty smart about growing business not losing money.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:10 am

DP: USAA restricts members to a maximum cumulative credit limit of $50k across all USAA credit cards. If you already have an open card or two with USAA and if those cards have high limits, you may need to call customer service if you want to apply for this product. They'll be able to free up available credit for you.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks for that info, weaseltown.

I was on the phone with USAA about something else and asked about this new card. After playing dumb for a moment and asking me where I had heard about it and what the features were, the rep said it is definitely targeted and not available by request. The rep also said it was under evaluation and might not ever be offered to the members at large.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
USAA is more widely available than many people realize. My father-in-law was military. My wife had him sign up for USAA, which made me, my wife, and my children all eligible for membership.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by safigan
USAA is more widely available than many people realize. My father-in-law was military. My wife had him sign up for USAA, which made me, my wife, and my children all eligible for membership.
thanks, but that's not going to help my friend who has no military affiliation what so ever.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:40 am

I've read that people with a "total credit limit" over $50,000 aren't allowed to be approved for this card. What I haven't read is if that means inside of USAA or if that means "in the wider world," and if the latter, whether it's looking only at personal or at personal+business. Anybody know?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.