Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

New USAA 2.5% Limitless Cashback Rewards Visa (targeted USAA members only)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mikesyr18
Card is no longer available to new applicants.
Print Wikipost

New USAA 2.5% Limitless Cashback Rewards Visa (targeted USAA members only)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:47 am

Approved with $12k tried a bank transfer from another account to check if that works

This high of a cash back works well for me since i dont travel as much due to medical issues

My paypal account currently is at 2.2% instead of the usual 2.9% i believe, if i spent $9k every mth i could make potentially $27 that way but eh dont think its worth it, now if i had the 3% alliant card that would be a different story
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Just signed up for the card from an overseas military/diplomatic address. Just in case you are overseas and not resident in one of the targeted states.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:09 pm

Become USAA member if your grandparent served in the military?

I've seen a number of people mention that they have become a USAA member just by having a grandparent in the military. Doesn't the grandparent need to have had USAA insurance/products? Or am I misguided?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by temporarilypoor
I've seen a number of people mention that they have become a USAA member just by having a grandparent in the military. Doesn't the grandparent need to have had USAA insurance/products? Or am I misguided?
You are not mistaken.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 4:03 pm

Once can't qualify for USAA via grandparents under current rules -- keep in mind that they can change over time. Parents (or spouse) would have to be members. Current eligibility info is on their site.

A grandparent who served could make one eligible for NFCU under certain conditions.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:01 pm

Any word on when this thing is getting released to all the states. Half the states hardly seems like a Pilot...
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by fredc84
I just got this card with the intent of using pay1040.com (1.87% fee) to actually make money when I pay est taxes. Made a tax payment the day after I got the card...and they credited 1% back to my rewards. Didn't even get the 1.5% that you get when you have don't have direct deposit (though I do have dd.)
So, I called today and she told me that paying taxes do not count for the 2.5% bonus on this card since it is considered a financial transaction not a purchase of merchandise. She said the 1% was a new card member promotion, it won't last. I'm going to call accounts management and cancel the card.
I've gotten 2.5% on everything EXCEPT taxes. Same issue here...Overall it's an OK DD.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
Any word on when this thing is getting released to all the states. Half the states hardly seems like a Pilot...
No idea -- best bet is to look at history to see how they have rolled out in the past. Pilot programs can be of varying sizes.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

age of credit account in credit report?

Originally Posted by Blind and Green
I have an older USAA card and called to see if I could product change, but they said I needed to submit a new application.
What effect does the age of a credit card have on a credit report or credit score? My current USAA card is over 25 years old. If I replace it with a brand new card, how much does that hurt my credit score? How long does the reduction last?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by serpens
What effect does the age of a credit card have on a credit report or credit score? My current USAA card is over 25 years old. If I replace it with a brand new card, how much does that hurt my credit score? How long does the reduction last?
If you get rid of it without product changing it then eventually it'll hit your score. I made that exact mistake with USAA with a card I had for about 30 years. The hit, though, won't hit your score for 10 years since cancelled cards stay on for that long. Try calling USAA to try to change your current card to a no annual fee version (if it has a fee) or just reduce the credit limit on it and then sock draw it (if it doesn't have a fee).
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by serpens
It's difficult to give you the answer you're looking for. First of all, there are a number of scoring models out there and they don't alll evaluate credit report data the same way. Even if we picked FICO 8 -- currently the most commonly used model -- we don't know the specifics of how the model assesses such a change. The best readily available info we have is:
http://www.myfico.com/credit-education/whats-in-your-credit-score

There is no immediate impact to your Average Age of Accounts from closing an account since AAoA includes open and closed accounts. Closed accounts generally continue to show up on reports for 10 years but they can fall off earlier. Can you accurately predict alll changes that will happen to your credit 10 years from now to calculate what your AAoA would be at that point in time?

Additionally, impact to AAoA isn't just about the account itself but your AAoA specifically and how having a closed account drop off or a new account added would affect it. Generally speaking, those with older accounts and more accounts will see less of an impact while those with younger and/or fewer accounts will see more of an impact. AAoA is just an average. You can calculate impact to your AAoA manually, use a spreadsheet or use one the many online calculators.

I'd say the tl;dr version of all this is that if you're going to fret over AAoA then keep a close eye on the accounts you're thinking of opening instead of worrying about the accounts you're thinking of closing. If you have a 25 year old account and a number of other accounts then you probably don't need to worry about your AAoA.

I've closed old accounts a number of times and my FICO 8's are well into the 800's. While you do want to keep AAoA in mind, you don't have to hoard accounts or keep every single old account open for good credit.
Try calling USAA to try to change your current card to a no annual fee version
Doesn't hurt to ask but USAA doesn't do product changes. I just closed out a couple of old USAA cards so I could open my Limitless.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I
Try calling USAA to try to change your current card to a no annual fee version (if it has a fee) or just reduce the credit limit on it and then sock draw it (if it doesn't have a fee).
The USAA agent, after saying there was no way to change the current card, suggested keeping the old account open even if I have no plans to use the card ever.

Originally Posted by takeshi74
I've closed old accounts a number of times and my FICO 8's are well into the 800's. While you do want to keep AAoA in mind, you don't have to hoard accounts or keep every single old account open for good credit.

Doesn't hurt to ask but USAA doesn't do product changes. I just closed out a couple of old USAA cards so I could open my Limitless.
Thank you. Since you know more about it than I do and you just closed a couple of accounts, I will figure that other factors are more significant.

Last edited by EmailKid; Jun 27, 2017 at 1:39 pm Reason: back to back posts
Old Jun 28, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
I just got this card with the intent of using pay1040.com (1.87% fee) to actually make money when I pay est taxes. Made a tax payment the day after I got the card...and they credited 1% back to my rewards. Didn't even get the 1.5% that you get when you have don't have direct deposit (though I do have dd.)
So, I called today and she told me that paying taxes do not count for the 2.5% bonus on this card since it is considered a financial transaction not a purchase of merchandise. She said the 1% was a new card member promotion, it won't last. I'm going to call accounts management and cancel the card.
That literally makes zero sense.

1% cash back isn't stated anywhere in the rewards terms and conditions.

Transactions that are not Qualifying Purchases do not earn any Cash Back.
Earning 1.5% Cash Back: You will earn 1.5% Cash Back (instead of 2.5% Cash Back) on all Qualifying Purchases if you do not maintain a Qualifying Direct Deposit.
You will earn 2.5% Cash Back on all Qualifying Purchases as long as you maintain a Qualifying Direct Deposit each month.
https://mobile.usaa.com/inet/wc/cred...kredirect=true
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:13 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
That literally makes zero sense.

1% cash back isn't stated anywhere in the rewards terms and conditions.

https://mobile.usaa.com/inet/wc/cred...kredirect=true
It helps if you read someone's entire post. " She said the 1% was a new card member promotion, it won't last." I didn't lie, they gave me 1% for the charge...believe if you want.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
It helps if you read someone's entire post. " She said the 1% was a new card member promotion, it won't last." I didn't lie, they gave me 1% for the charge...believe if you want.
I've had this card for four months. The card has been out since October and I've been discussing it since then. There was never a 1% promotion for "financial transactions." Tax payments should count as a purchase anyways, and I'd be arguing that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.