Travel Insurance from Credit Cards

Old Jun 8, 16, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Travel Insurance from Credit Cards

I'm sure there is a thread addressing this, but I can't seem to find one. I take small groups on safari to Africa. Recently many have preferred paying with a credit card vs. wire transfer because of the included travel insurance on the cards. I'm constantly being asked my thoughts on this and do not feel very informed.

How good is the travel insurance with various cards? Which cards have the most coverage (i.e. medical cancellation or interruption, flight cancellation, lost baggage, etc.)?
Old Jun 8, 16, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
This is a rather broad question to answer as each card can differ within a banking group. The benefits from the Green, Gold & Platinum Amex cards each are different and that's just 3 of the 20+ cards Amex offers. There are threads that compare one card with another but I don't know of a spreadsheet cover all the major banks and the various cards they offer.

Another option would be to look into group rates for purchasing packages that people can purchase via you to cover such instances. This can be an optional service or something you add into the programs you offer.

I do hope you're including the charges you incur for processing via credit card vs bank transfer which also can vary by credit card. As you're US based and are going to accept credit cards regularly you may want to look into website based payments that handle verification of the card themselves.
Old Jun 9, 16, 8:21 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Most of the ones I have read through only provide coverage for the common travel stuff and the medical/life is very limited. The medical/life is usually limited to "common carrier" accidents. If you are killed in a plane crash or injured when a train derails, you are covered - but it may not kick in until you reach the threshold of "dismembered", not a simple broken arm. I don't think any will cover being gored by a rhino on safari.

Personally I am more concerned with the points I earn and other protections of credit cards, such as the ability to charge back fraud. Rental car insurance does come in handy and is a big money saver.

Basically the higher the annual fee, the better the benefits. Citi Prestige, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Amex Platinum/Centurion, etc.
Old Jun 9, 16, 11:34 am

as OP mentioned, travel insurance is basically 2 parts

medical, trip (interruption/cancellation/delay/lost baggage etc)

I've with the posters above - credit cards tend to provide only trip insurance.
I purchased my own medical insurance for my next trip, about $1-5/day, and will self-insure/use credit card for the trip insurance coverage

(trip cancellation/interruption tend to be a percentage of the trip cost)

also, each insurance covers different things for different reasons with different exclusions - the person needs to understand what is covered and what isn't.

I had to get explicit coverage(aka additional insurance rider) for my scuba diving, not sure safari-in-africa is something that would be excluded

Last edited by paperwastage; Jun 9, 16 at 11:41 am
Old Jun 9, 16, 10:49 pm

IMO Citi is the gold standard for travel insurance on their cards. Inside of that, the Prestige has the best benefits, but even their TY Preferred ones are almost as good (slightly longer on interruptions, baggage delays, lower limits, etc).

I believe the pdfs of their benefits are fairly easy to access if you'd like to review them (theres a thread on enhancements to citi insurance stuff in this forum no more than 2-4 pages back).
Old Jun 12, 16, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Buddy Eleazer View Post
How good is the travel insurance with various cards?
Realistically - always treat travel insurance provided by credit cards as excessive coverage.

While the benefits are offered free of charge, the benefits are not comprehensive (for example, none of the car rental benefit covers the damage you caused to others). So if you think your travel needs to be insured, buy one.

Originally Posted by Buddy Eleazer View Post
Which cards have the most coverage (i.e. medical cancellation or interruption, flight cancellation, lost baggage, etc.)?
Basically, any cards that has a price tag of ~$400 in AF.

Originally Posted by brajalle View Post
I believe the pdfs of their benefits are fairly easy to access if you'd like to review them (theres a thread on enhancements to citi insurance stuff in this forum no more than 2-4 pages back).
That PDF is a general description.

Unfortunately, claim adjusters do not use that PDF as the reference to adjust the claim
Old Jun 13, 16, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
That PDF is a general description.

Unfortunately, claim adjusters do not use that PDF as the reference to adjust the claim
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...15-2016-a.html

Honestly I'm not sure what more you could possibly expect from them.
Old Jun 13, 16, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by brajalle View Post
Honestly I'm not sure what more you could possibly expect from them.
Something like this?

https://web.aexp-static.com/us/conte...P-DOC-CCSG.pdf

A benefit guide is helpful to understand the benefit. However, the actual administration relies on the policy and its description of coverage.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: