FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   $10k spend in a few weeks - where best to put? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1771024-10k-spend-few-weeks-where-best-put.html)

lurcher Jun 8, 16 9:17 am

$10k spend in a few weeks - where best to put?

New roof time- $10,500 spend, divided over 2 lump sums. Could put up to $3k additional spend on this a month if needed

About me:

Live in DFW
LT Plat on AA
have 3 other citi AA cards for daily/bills/work
have IHG CC already
just got rid of BA Visa
very good credit

Never done the churn thing, so should be good to go. Hotel/miles more interesting than cash back

TIA - Michael

garykung Jun 8, 16 5:39 pm

You should pick what you need. As none of us is you, we can't tell if a particular program is good or bad for you.

However, even with that in mind, you can aim for Citi cards that have AA-related benefits. For instance, Citi Prestige may be a great start for you (AC access and $0.016/TY for AA tickets booked through TY).

Wyleeguy79 Jun 10, 16 4:39 pm

Virgin Atlantic has a 70k for a 12k spend in 6 months. Then 15k more at anniversary. Plus you'll earn at least 12k for your spend. For me LAX to LHR first class was only 80k points. Probably cheaper from DFW. IF you combine that with your BA points you could have a nice European vacation :)

g8trgr8t Jun 10, 16 8:27 pm

if you identified your travel goals it would be more helpful in determining the best alternatives for you.

nineworldseries Jun 11, 16 4:21 pm

As others have noted, it's pretty frustrating trying to answer these kind of "yo, what's good" super vague questions. Extracting value from travel programs requires thought and thorough investigation and assessment of individual travel patterns.

For me, most of my travel is domestic and big-city, so a carefully considered combo of Southwest, Hyatt, and Delta for AK/HI/Non-WN airports works well for me. Someone who is looking to stay in small-town Idaho or fly to Namibia would get little to no value out of my points.

In other words, we have no idea without a lot more information.

robertw477 Jun 12, 16 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by lurcher (Post 26747848)
New roof time- $10,500 spend, divided over 2 lump sums. Could put up to $3k additional spend on this a month if needed

About me:

Live in DFW
LT Plat on AA
have 3 other citi AA cards for daily/bills/work
have IHG CC already
just got rid of BA Visa
very good credit

Never done the churn thing, so should be good to go. Hotel/miles more interesting than cash back

TIA - Michael

These days I cannot see putting any charges on a card (airline or other) unless they will yield you north of 2%. So AA tickets at 1.6 with Prestige doesnt make sense to me. Simple Citi Double cash or other 2% card. Even Barclay Arrival 2%. If you redeem for premium flights overseas then consider AA or whatever. AA raised all the award charts and levels. There may be redemptions on AA domestic that are worth more than 2% for certain routes.

Rob