Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

2016 "best" credit card for general spending (non bonus category expenses)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2016 "best" credit card for general spending (non bonus category expenses)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3sgtekb
Citi AAdvantage Executive Card

[...]

AA miles are devaluating
The Executive card has a very steep annual fee. So why that one? It doesn't earn AA miles any faster than any other AA card, does it?

Meanwhile, AA miles are not devaluating in all cases, and not by that much in other caess. For example, business class US -> Africa is unchanged from before, and business US -> Europe is still less than UA's partner rates (and good luck finding business availability to Europe on UA metal) and Delta's "lowest tier" rates (which can be tough to find much of time). The biggest devaluations are non-USA -> non-USA, but do you do those kinds of redemptions? Not everyone does.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:37 pm

My whole family is set up as authorized users on the card, and they get Admirals Lounge access anytime they fly. Worth it for the clan, and I get nice selfies of them in each lounge. I also have Citigold which puts the annual fee at $350. Good point, but I am not afraid of paying the annual fee for the next few years.

Also, great point about the AA devaluations - I am US originated on all flights, so I will keep that in mind!

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The Executive card has a very steep annual fee. So why that one? It doesn't earn AA miles any faster than any other AA card, does it?

Meanwhile, AA miles are not devaluating in all cases, and not by that much in other caess. For example, business class US -> Africa is unchanged from before, and business US -> Europe is still less than UA's partner rates (and good luck finding business availability to Europe on UA metal) and Delta's "lowest tier" rates (which can be tough to find much of time). The biggest devaluations are non-USA -> non-USA, but do you do those kinds of redemptions? Not everyone does.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:54 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by 3sgtekb
Ah, does the $25,000 spend I put on the United Club card waive the PQD requirement?
Yes, up to Platinum level. So no problem if you're shooting for Silver.
Old May 28, 2016, 7:43 am

Which one of my cards should i use as my primary to get the most value for rewards?

Bank Cards:
Amex Blue Cash
Barclays Arrival Plus
Barclays Sallie Mae
CapitalOne Journey
Citi Dividend
Discover Discoverit
Amex Everyday
CapitalOne Sony Card
Chase Freedom

I'm debating between the Barclays Arrival Plus and the Chase Freedom.

From TPG, he values Chase UR at 2.1 cents per point and Barclays Arrival plus is basically a 2% + .1 percent when you redeem.

I have about 3 months left on the arrival plus before i try to downgrade it into the no fee version and I have yet to apply for the sapphire. My plan is to rack up points on the freedom and then transfer it to Chase UR after i get it...

Appreciate any thoughts/opinions

thanks in advance
Old May 28, 2016, 7:57 am

If you follow TPG, you are doing it wrong, he is a credit card salesman. Value is highly subjective and depends on where you live, your nearest airport location and the types of travel you personally will be doing, as well as the categories you spend most of your money in, etc. Without knowing that, it is just generic info or noise. Need more detail and data about you and how you spend.
Old May 28, 2016, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by exoticfusion
If you follow TPG, you are doing it wrong, he is a credit card salesman. Value is highly subjective and depends on where you live, your nearest airport location and the types of travel you personally will be doing, as well as the categories you spend most of your money in, etc. Without knowing that, it is just generic info or noise. Need more detail and data about you and how you spend.
Makes a lot of sense haha..

I live in NYC and JFK/LGA are both close to me.

for travel, i would most likely want to spend it on round trip flights.

Cali <-> NYC
Florida <-> NYC
Mexico <-> NYC

are a few that might come up and I spend most of my money in dining.

I'm definitely going to do more research on the programs but as of now any advice would be really appreciated
Old May 28, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AspiringEnthusiast
Makes a lot of sense haha..

I live in NYC and JFK/LGA are both close to me.

for travel, i would most likely want to spend it on round trip flights.

Cali <-> NYC
Florida <-> NYC
Mexico <-> NYC

are a few that might come up and I spend most of my money in dining.

I'm definitely going to do more research on the programs but as of now any advice would be really appreciated
Well, the thing is, for domestic or "nearby" international flights in economy (you didn't specify a cabin), the "cash" fares don't tend to be that expensive, so using a generic 2% cash back card, or a card with "travel" points that can be used to book flights at 2% or better equivalent of cash back is quite possibly the simplest and best choice for you. You won't get more value on one flights and less value on another flight that way, but you won't have to fight "availability" that way.

But I don't see the need to hold so many different cash back (or non-transferable points) cards. They don't all have big advantages over one another. Freedom and Discover are the only ones AFAIK with rotating bonuses, so those are useful if you mostly use them for the rotating bonuses.
Old May 29, 2016, 1:06 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Bank Cards:
Amex Blue Cash
Barclays Arrival Plus
Barclays Sallie Mae
CapitalOne Journey
Citi Dividend
Discover Discoverit
Amex Everyday
CapitalOne Sony Card
Chase Freedom

From TPG, he values Chase UR at 2.1 cents per point and Barclays Arrival plus is basically a 2% + .1 percent when you redeem.

I have about 3 months left on the arrival plus before i try to downgrade it into the no fee version and I have yet to apply for the sapphire. My plan is to rack up points on the freedom and then transfer it to Chase UR after i get it...

thanks in advance
I suggest to use CSP (2x on dining and travel) and transfer your points to WN, you can also add Ink Cash (5x on OS stores, telephone, internet, cable, 2x on dining). You can also add Freedom Unlimited for non category spend (1.5x on everything).
Also US Bank Flexperks Amex could be good (2x on restaurants and one of the: groceries, gas or airlines. Flexperks points value up to 2 cents each.
Old May 29, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Bank Cards:
Amex Blue Cash
Barclays Arrival Plus
Barclays Sallie Mae
CapitalOne Journey
Citi Dividend
Discover Discoverit
Amex Everyday
CapitalOne Sony Card
Chase Freedom

thanks in advance
Sallie Mae would be a great choice but is no longer offered.

Citi Premier is 3x travel, 2x dining and entertainment; points are worth 1.25 if redeemed for airfare. Citi Prestige has much higher AF, but also higher point value and other benefits which may or may not make it a better choice for you.

Fidelity card and Citi DoubleCash are both 2% cash back on everything.
Old May 29, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Originally Posted by yugi
I suggest to use CSP (2x on dining and travel) and transfer your points to WN, you can also add Ink Cash (5x on OS stores, telephone, internet, cable, 2x on dining). You can also add Freedom Unlimited for non category spend (1.5x on everything).
Also depends on what you spend every year on the card, as the annual fees can add up. One reason why a simple no-fee 2% cash back card is hard to beat. However, if you do spend a normal amount on credit cards AND you know you will be using the points at a decent value, then this combination seems hard to beat.
Old May 30, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by freakflyer
Also depends on what you spend every year on the card, as the annual fees can add up. One reason why a simple no-fee 2% cash back card is hard to beat. However, if you do spend a normal amount on credit cards AND you know you will be using the points at a decent value, then this combination seems hard to beat.
He said that he spends a lot on dining, that's why CSP + Ink Cash + Freedom + Freedom Unlimited will make a lot of sense, also considering his destinations which WN flies, and WN is the best value for flights most of the time.
Right now I think that I'd prefer Freedom Unlimited over 2% cashback card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.