Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Loyalty Credit Cards in different countries (esp. Hong Kong)

Old May 21, 16, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA

Hi

I don't often check this forum, and apologies if this has been discussed before - I did do a quick search and couldn't find the relevant information.

I'm a UK based reader, and there are a plethora of credit cards available for various rewards programmes (e.g. BA, United, Marriott, SPG etc etc). I wondered if there was a site which had information about different countries.

In short, I'm moving to Hong Kong quite soon, and there doesn't seem to be any loyalty credit cards there - the closest thing is Citi Thank You points as far as I can see. Does anyone know if there's any information available about what loyalty credit cards are available in what countries, and especially Hong Kong?

Many thanks
Old May 21, 16, 10:28 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Flapster View Post
In short, I'm moving to Hong Kong quite soon, and there doesn't seem to be any loyalty credit cards there
Congratulations, that's a great place to live if you can afford it ^

I was in Hong Kong over American Thanksgiving, and could have sworn I saw adverts for CCs that give miles/points, but my memory is somewhat fuzzy as I've slept since then.

Sorry, can't point you to a source, you may have to wait until you get there unless someone on this board has better info.
Old May 21, 16, 8:03 pm

I've moved around quite a bit, and often pick up a local card.

My first stop (because I've been a long time cardholder, and because of their Global Transfer service) is always American Express. In this case Amex HK offers a couple of options, beginning with their Membership Rewards cards, as well as their partnership with Cathay Pacific.

After that, have a look at the local bank that you're likley to be using, as that will probably be the second best option for obtaining a card straight away. For example, Standard-Chartered in HK offers cards that earn Asia Miles.

Also, look at the local website for the specific programme that you are wanting to collect rewards with. For example, going to the local British Airways HK site, you can find that BA has a Platinum Visa Card that earns BA Avios points.
Old May 21, 16, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Having lived there for a few years I can tell you moving there and starting from scratch is tough. HK banks are notoriously tight fisted about credit and even more so if you have no credit report there already. There are plenty of reward cards avaliable but you will need to wait to get those. Asia miles cards through Amex, British airways ones from Dah Sing, etc. Oh and realize that almost all card have interest rates above 30%, its insane so don't carry any balance.

1. First thing you need is a Hong Kong ID card. if are moving there you should be able to get one easy enough. You'll need it for everything.
2. Income documents, bank statements, proof of residence, passport, HKID, etc. all to open up a local bank account which I assume you'll need for payroll, writing checks, etc. (Try BEA, smaller bank but avoids all the lines of HSBC, etc.)
3. Try to open up a basic credit card with the same bank you opened the checking acct with. (Again BEA has lots of easy to get cards like the i-titanium) Its just a first card and has sucky rewards.
4. Use that card and make good payments for 6 months. Bank will report payments and acct to credit agency in HK (transunion I believe)
5. You now have some credit report, try for something better. If you're from the UK I might suggest the BA card from Dah Sing.

Don't be discouraged if you don't get it immediately. Card applications take at least a month. No instant approval here. lol. My Hang Seng card took 3 months for approval. Oh and the HK banking system will leave you wanting to pull your hair out. Sooo many rules, regulations, and fees (Seriously FEES, pick up a fee booklet and keep it at your house for reference, its a BOOK, thats how many fees there are.) Just remember, HK banks are so rich already they really couldn't give two toots about one extra customer unless you open up their super expensive accts.

Have fun, on a side note HK is awesome.
Old May 23, 16, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Flapster View Post
Does anyone know if there's any information available about what loyalty credit cards are available in what countries, and especially Hong Kong?
Here are some information that can help you.

1. Check out HongKongCard.com. By far, it is the website that has the most extensive information for all credit card offerings in Hong Kong.

The only bad news is it is in Chinese.

2. percysmith, a FTer, is also active at the forums of HongKongCard.com. You should send him a PM and discuss.

3. Don't be confused by the Citi TY program in Hong Kong with the one offered in the U.S. They are completely separate programs and work totally different.

4. If FTF is a non-issue, stick with cards from the U.K. Cards in Hong Kong mostly associate with high rates and fees and poor rewards (the reward is attractive during the opening period).

Last edited by EmailKid; May 23, 16 at 6:55 pm Reason: Fixed quote box
Old Nov 15, 16, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the responses, and sorry it's taken me so long to reply. We have just moved to Hong Kong, and are going to be going travelling for a few months, after which I'll be starting my job search here!

So thank you for all the info provided - a lot of food for thought!

Cheers
Old Aug 1, 17, 6:43 pm

Programs: CX,A3, TK, AZ
Smile Hong Kong Credit Card for Airmiles/Points?

Hi guys,

I'd like to apply for a credit card program in HK, do you guys can suggest a good airlines miles credit card with any bank in HK?

Thanks
Old Aug 2, 17, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by fedeflyer View Post
I'd like to apply for a credit card program in HK, do you guys can suggest a good airlines miles credit card with any bank in HK?
Assuming you are able to get a card in Hong Kong, practically speaking either the program sucks or the card sucks.

Which one do you prefer?
Old Aug 2, 17, 2:29 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
Assuming you are able to get a card in Hong Kong, practically speaking either the program sucks or the card sucks.

Which one do you prefer?
Now tell us how you REALLY feel
Old Aug 3, 17, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
The most popular program in Hong Kong is the infamous Asia Miles (AM), which can be difficult to deal with.

For all other programs, their earning rate via credit card are not that good.

Bottom line - use a foreign card if possible.
Old Sep 28, 17, 9:23 pm

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
The most popular program in Hong Kong is the infamous Asia Miles (AM), which can be difficult to deal with.

For all other programs, their earning rate via credit card are not that good.

Bottom line - use a foreign card if possible.
I'm Hong Kong native. Which card do you suggest? No Asia Miles for me as they expire after 3 years.
Old Sep 29, 17, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by miklcct View Post
I'm Hong Kong native. Which card do you suggest? No Asia Miles for me as they expire after 3 years.
I believe I answered your question a month ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28744468-post5.html
Old Oct 1, 17, 12:39 am

Hong Kong and SPG/Star Alliance credit card

Hi,

I'm currently living in Hong Kong as a permanent resident and spending a lot of money (as is usual in here) so was thinking to get a credit card that will also help me to collect more starpoints or miles (Miles&More).

Can anybody recommend anything that makes sense and the application process can be finished here in Hong Kong?

Thanks,
nebko
Old Sep 12, 18, 6:50 pm

Programs: CX,A3, TK, AZ
Talking

Originally Posted by EmailKid View Post
I feel that I didn't achieve anything

Which one do you prefer?
Got a card...and I've realized that actually HSBC Visa Platinum sucks

Last edited by EmailKid; Sep 12, 18 at 8:03 pm Reason: Back to back posts
Old Sep 13, 18, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Just to update this, in the end, I plumped for a Cit Premier Miles card - yet to use the points for anything, but at least I can transfer to my main airlines programme (BA).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: