Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: geclub1
Print Wikipost

US based Union Pay card?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:30 am

@Majuki-
Good luck. All the more reason to improve your Mandarin.

@tmiw-
Thanks for this but there are more merchants that take Union Pay here than that, but they are mainly high-end ones it seems. I'll try it out at Selfridges or Harrods as I know they take it when I have time and report back sometime in the next two weeks.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by uklevi
Good luck. All the more reason to improve your Mandarin.

Well, no e-mail came. I'm off to the South San Francisco branch now. I'll keep everyone updated.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Those who got it already, which CB did they pull?

I'm debating it. On one hand I want to lower my number of new cards to get me under 5/24. On the other hand I've given up on Chase...
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6, DL, UA, AGR
Originally Posted by HGHUA
Those who got it already, which CB did they pull?

I'm debating it. On one hand I want to lower my number of new cards to get me under 5/24. On the other hand I've given up on Chase...
For me, they pulled Experian only. My poor Experian report!
Old Dec 3, 2016, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6, DL, UA, AGR
Picture of my card.

I was also given a $8K limit. I had zero issues using the online activation interface. I haven't put any spend on it, but I'm really hoping that US domestic use is easy. Also, I tried to add my card to Apple Pay, cause why not? Didn't even work a little!
Attached Images  
Old Dec 3, 2016, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by EasyD
Picture of my card.

I was also given a $8K limit. I had zero issues using the online activation interface. I haven't put any spend on it, but I'm really hoping that US domestic use is easy. Also, I tried to add my card to Apple Pay, cause why not? Didn't even work a little!
That is a pretty looking card!

As for US use, I imagine it'll be swipe-only for the vast majority of places that take Discover, but maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
There is also a Union Pay app in the App Store for info on discounts and acceptance.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
That is a pretty looking card!

As for US use, I imagine it'll be swipe-only for the vast majority of places that take Discover, but maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.
The card also has QuickPass, but I don't imagine we'll be able to use it like Discover Zip.

I'm still having difficulties getting the activation code. Maybe Gmail is filtering ICBC e-mails? I was able to go into a branch and setup an online account but not without opening a checking account with them. I'll still need to call to link to my existing account. Maybe I'll use the checking account funds to pay off the card.

The person who helped me remembered me from a few weeks ago and was glad to know that online applications were being accepted. She asked if I was planning to spend a lot of time in China. I was going to go into my whole thing about DCC in Mainland China, HK, and Macau, but I just smiled and instead.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Majuki
The card also has QuickPass, but I don't imagine we'll be able to use it like Discover Zip.

I'm still having difficulties getting the activation code. Maybe Gmail is filtering ICBC e-mails? I was able to go into a branch and setup an online account but not without opening a checking account with them. I'll still need to call to link to my existing account. Maybe I'll use the checking account funds to pay off the card.

The person who helped me remembered me from a few weeks ago and was glad to know that online applications were being accepted. She asked if I was planning to spend a lot of time in China. I was going to go into my whole thing about DCC in Mainland China, HK, and Macau, but I just smiled and instead.
Just off the top of my head... Isn't Quickpass a store value wallet? not necessarily like any of the NFC solutions other banks use.

Wonder how that works here if they included it in the functionality.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I can see that maybe working at Walgreens or some other place that has EMV contactless, but that's a big if. Contactless acceptance in the US is also still very poor (and rarely used by people in the first place) so I didn't really consider that in my assessment.

Just off the top of my head... Isn't Quickpass a store value wallet? not necessarily like any of the NFC solutions other banks use.
I'm pretty sure it's equivalent to payPass/PayWave from the cardholder's perspective. Definitely some differences at a technical level though.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 8:29 pm

Upon the introduction of EMV chips into China UnionPay cards, many banks also introduced QuickPass (Chinese: 闪付) a contactless payment feature similar to MasterCard's PayPass or Visa's payWave. However, unlike MasterCard or Visa's implementation, in the case of debit cards, QuickPass does not operate on a trust-based system, but rather as a stored-value card (similar to girogo/GeldKarte in Germany).

Payments by QuickPass-enabled debit cards can only be made using funds which have been "withdrawn" (圈存) from the account and stored on the card itself as electronic cash (essentially preauthorising the funds for use, eliminating the possibility that an offline transaction may exceed the account holder's balance) .
Hmm. So I think you'd have to tell ICBC how much you wanted to add to your stored value before you could use it. In China, that is.

I was going to go into my whole thing about DCC in Mainland China, HK, and Macau, but I just smiled and instead.
Does UnionPay not support DCC? As it technically bills in USD right?

You know on second thought, don't all UP transactions go via RMB, so if you use it in a third country it goes JPY-RMB-USD. I think I read that somewhere.

Last edited by HGHUA; Dec 3, 2016 at 8:40 pm
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:10 pm

You know on second thought, don't all UP transactions go via RMB, so if you use it in a third country it goes JPY-RMB-USD. I think I read that somewhere.
I don't know how the currency settlement happens, but UP doesn't support DCC.

I'm still unable to access the online account, even after having the branch set one up for my checking account. I called, and they said they'd be able to link the accounts so I can see the credit card in online banking in 1-2 days.

Still don't know why I never received any verification code e-mail from them. I tried the process a few times. Anyone else use a Gmail address to register for online banking? I want to make sure they're not blocking it or anything.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:52 pm

Did anyone sign up an authorized user for the card with the online application? Only one card came in the original packet. I put my wife as an authorized user, but we have yet to receive her card. (Mine only arrived yesterday.)

Furthermore, does the Mandarin phone line give any automated voice prompts (if anyone has used it)? The English line goes straight to a CSR.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:13 am

Still don't know why I never received any verification code e-mail from them. I tried the process a few times. Anyone else use a Gmail address to register for online banking? I want to make sure they're not blocking it or anything.
I finally got the verification e-mails and card activation e-mail 24 hours later.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:20 am

ICBC linked the credit card successfully. ^

The only open issue for me at the moment is the authorized user for the card. I'll wait it out and contact them if I don't receive the authorized user card.

I noticed for initiating the payment the only funding source was from ICBC checking account. In other to add an external checking account I have to set up autopay. I have never enabled autopay on any credit card since I prefer to review the statement and verify all charges before initiating the payment.

For those if you without a checking account, could you set up a funding source but not have it be on the Auto-Pay Service?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.