FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   should i file a chargeback? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1750599-should-i-file-chargeback.html)

jasonfodor Mar 3, 2016 5:51 am

should i file a chargeback?

took my car in for service, they were suppose to do an oil change and 20 other things (fluids, wipers, battery check). battery died a week after service, wiper blades still sound like a nails on a chalk board. I was suppose to get a write up of everything they checked and values (i.e. tire thread is 9/32, etc.), i didn't get this write up, when i asked they said they couldn't find it. only thing on receipt that they did was an oil change, but charged me for the full service.

thinking of getting the car serviced at another dealership and i'll make sure they check everything and provide write up.

long story short, i never filed a chargeback with my credit card. it's obvious the first dealership missed checking a bunch of things. will the receipt (write up) from the second dealership help me win?

deant Mar 3, 2016 7:22 am

What would a receipt from a different dealer, at a later date prove?

FirstInFlight Mar 3, 2016 7:57 am

It sounds like you need (or needed) a new battery and new wiper blades. The first place should have caught that. But if they had you would have still needed those items. The point being that you were going to pay for those items either way.

I'd go by the shop and let them know your concerns. Point out what they missed and ask that they help you find a resolution (likely a free oil change in the future).

garykung Mar 3, 2016 10:46 am

Welcome to FT, OP.

Originally Posted by jasonfodor (Post 26277066)
long story short, i never filed a chargeback with my credit card. it's obvious the first dealership missed checking a bunch of things. will the receipt (write up) from the second dealership help me win?

Where are you exactly located?

It does not sound like the amount in question is big. Instead of a chargeback, you should check with your State to see your consumer remedy first.

Dealerships are more scare when you initiate formal procedures rather than a chargeback.

Beside - your chargeback can bite you back if the dealership fights.

gooselee Mar 3, 2016 11:22 am

Originally Posted by FirstInFlight (Post 26277601)
I'd go by the shop and let them know your concerns. Point out what they missed and ask that they help you find a resolution (likely a free oil change in the future).

This. Try to work it out with the merchant first. Most CCs will ask if you've attempted this prior to requesting a chargeback any way.

emcampbe Mar 3, 2016 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 26278744)
This. Try to work it out with the merchant first. Most CCs will ask if you've attempted this prior to requesting a chargeback any way.

This. It's not only that they will ask, but also a requirement that you attempt to resolve through the merchant before filing a chargeback per your CC agreement.

If you can't resolve with them, then file a chargeback. I've only had to file a couple, and at least with Chase for me, it's a simple process online or phone.

jasonfodor Mar 3, 2016 2:31 pm

Can you explain how?

Sorry, I don't think my post was clear, I paid $500 for service that was suppose to include an oil change ($200), a bunch of random checks, and fluid transfer (not sure what that is). What I am saying is they charged me $500, but only did the oil change (worth $200).

I am not a car guy, but from what I was able to find, they didn't tell me my wipers were bad (part of the check), they didn't tell my battery was bad (part of the check) and they didn't fill my wiper fluid (they were suppose to).

Dealerships are suppose to give you a report card, saying they checked everything and mark off if a fluid needs to be filled, tell you how many mm your break pads are at, your tire thread level, etc. I asked them for this report card and they looked and said they didn't have it and told me "I am sure we checked everything, we just maybe forgot to report it".

I know 3 of the 20 they didn't check, the rest I need to have another dealership look over.

I am not saying they are responsible for my bad battery or wiper blades, but I paid for them to check those (among other things) and they have not, and can not provide me the usual report card saying they did.

And for my battery, the new dealership had to check the battery (an extra $60 charge, that I had to pay) but because the first dealership didn't check my battery. And the new dealership wants about $300 to check everything, fill fluids, etc.

Basically, what I am saying is, can I file a chargeback, tell my Credit card, I noticed they didn't do A, B, C, and when I asked them for the report card they couldn't provide it. And essentially I had to go to another dealership to have everything checked over and was charged $300.

(just FYI the first dealership was by my parents home over break in January, so I can't take the car back there as of now)

FirstInFlight Mar 3, 2016 3:05 pm

OP can you tell us where the dealer is located - or what kind of vehicle you had serviced? $200 for an oil change is signicantly more than I generally see so I'm wondering if perhaps you are located in a markedly different part of the world or perhaps you are driving an unusal car.

garykung Mar 3, 2016 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by jasonfodor (Post 26279838)
Can you explain how?

To you, the issue is clear. To your bank, it is not.

Even you plead your case to your bank, the merchant can reply with a single response that the requested work has been performed. Since you have no actual document proof showing that, any temporary credit issued will most likely be reversed.

...oil change ($200)...

Please tell me you have a BMW, similar or better. Otherwise, it is super expensive...

...an extra $60 charge, that I had to pay...

Seriously?

The amount you paid is more than half way for a new battery (and most places offer free installation with purchase).

g8trgr8t Mar 3, 2016 8:08 pm

Can you explain how?

Sorry, I don't think my post was clear, I paid $500 for service that was suppose to include an oil change ($200), a bunch of random checks, and fluid transfer (not sure what that is). What I am saying is they charged me $500, but only did the oil change (worth $200).

I am not a car guy, but from what I was able to find, they didn't tell me my wipers were bad (part of the check), they didn't tell my battery was bad (part of the check) and they didn't fill my wiper fluid (they were suppose to).

Dealerships are suppose to give you a report card, saying they checked everything and mark off if a fluid needs to be filled, tell you how many mm your break pads are at, your tire thread level, etc. I asked them for this report card and they looked and said they didn't have it and told me "I am sure we checked everything, we just maybe forgot to report it".

I know 3 of the 20 they didn't check, the rest I need to have another dealership look over.

I am not saying they are responsible for my bad battery or wiper blades, but I paid for them to check those (among other things) and they have not, and can not provide me the usual report card saying they did.

And for my battery, the new dealership had to check the battery (an extra $60 charge, that I had to pay) but because the first dealership didn't check my battery. And the new dealership wants about $300 to check everything, fill fluids, etc.

Basically, what I am saying is, can I file a chargeback, tell my Credit card, I noticed they didn't do A, B, C, and when I asked them for the report card they couldn't provide it. And essentially I had to go to another dealership to have everything checked over and was charged $300.

(just FYI the first dealership was by my parents home over break in January, so I can't take the car back there as of now)

Wow. You need to find a different mechanic. All that adds up to max of $150 worth of work. Any auto parts store will generally check your battery for free and even replace it for you free of charge if you buy the new battery there. Same for windshield wipers.

Suite Disposition Mar 4, 2016 5:26 am

Have you contacted the manager that you found 3 things they missed?
Look for a listing of what services were supposed to be provided such as on their website.
Contact them and let them know that there were items needing repair that you were not notified about.
I have successfully won charge backs that the merchant fought.
Keep track of dates, times and the names of people you talked to and save documentation.
Also, end them a letter or email with your complaint clearly spelled out and reminding them you never got a checklist and there are obviously things they missed.
These types of services are safety checks for your vehicle and not providing services they stated they performed and not providing you with an itemized list of services they said they performed is something you can dispute.

Dadaluma83 Mar 8, 2016 3:38 pm

:eek:

Wow and this is one reason I am glad I have never and will never take my car to the dealer. I could see myself going down there sometime for a specialty part, but never to have them do anything to my car.

200 bucks for an oil change is unheard of to me. I am going to start doing my own oil changes as soon as I close on a house, but in the meantime I have taken my car to a local quick lube place for 15 years now. They charge 20 dollars if you bring your own oil and filter.

60 dollars for a battery test is uncalled for especially considering a brand new battery will be about twice that.

Wow, to the OP yes I know it is a lot of money but I would just call it quits on this one, buy a new battery and windshield wipers at your nearest auto parts store, they will most likely install them for you right in the parking lot unless you have a unusual car.

For future repairs and checks I would go to a local independant mechanic.

Not just this particular dealer, but I hear horror stories of dealer shops. My realtor was complaining the other day how since he has a new car he thought he would take advantage of the included scheduled maintenance and take it in for an oil change. Had an appointment and everything and it took them 4 hours to do an oil change.

Run away from dealers! :eek:

biggestbopper Mar 9, 2016 8:12 pm

Trying to find the flyer content in this post--and not finding it. :td:

ZetaToplover Mar 12, 2016 6:59 pm

Can you explain how?

What do you have, a Lamborghini or a classic De Tomaso Pantera? I have a late model BMW and have had other higher end vehicles and your numbers seem to be off, even at stealer (dealer) prices for a "normal" motor vehicle. The price for checking the battery is ridiculous. The price for the oil change is not one I have encountered, except in my brief ownership of the De Tomaso which involved shifting the engine position to fully drain the engine oil.......... Maybe you got ripped off and ought to spend some time looking for a new way to go about this.