Wiki Posts
Search

Am i opening too many cards at once?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Am i opening too many cards at once?

Credit score has been hovering around 780-800, and this is my account activity (current and planned).

10/2014 - Opened CS Freedom
11/2015 - Opened CSP
02/2016 - Opened Amex Hilton no fee card
03/2016 - my Amex Jetblue is changing to a Barclay card. Not sure how this affects my credit, except that Amex was 8 years old =( and had my largest CL

Planning on opening
04/2016 - Citi AAdvantage Platinum
Anytime between April and June - Chase IHG and possibly Chase Marriott

Winter 2016 - possibly the Amex Surpass and Citi HH no AF card, and then close the Amex Surpass after I get gold for 2017.

My priorities are the Citi Aadvantage and the Chase IHG in that order. Should I apply for them at the same time, or wait in between? I'd like to use them both for travel this summer. If I get the Marriot, I should apply for that at the same time as the IHG, correct?

----everything below is how I imagine things can work out, if I dont have any issues with my 2016 planning-----------

2017 plans
- Close Amex Surpass
-Wait for Nofee hilton to get upgrade offer
-Possibly Churn Aadvantage plat
-if i got chase marriot, possibly close the card
-convert barclaycard to nofee card
-possibly add World Arrival
-add Amex Everyday
-possibly Amex SPG

For 2017, my priorities Surpass > Amex Everyday > Citi HH no AF > Amex SPG.

Last edited by StatusChallenged; Feb 2, 2016 at 12:44 am
Old Feb 2, 2016, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Again - having an excellent credit score does not mean an application will be approved.

Having that in mind, unless you can know the impact of AMEX JetBlue > Barclay JetBlue, I believe you have opened enough without causing damages.

Citi will be your 4th new account in past 6 months if AMEX history will not get transferred. It is possible that Citi will deny the application.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:46 am

While it's possible Citi will deny your account, I have applied and been accepted for 6 cards in the past 8 weeks, the first four being Amex/Chase. Citi approved me for TYP and Prestige the past two weeks.

Granted, this was my first AoR, and I was lucky enough to have car notes and store cards through Chase/Citi prior to it, and I doubt I will be able to apply for any new cards for a while.

You are probably fine.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:58 am

No idea. "Too many" depends on credit profile and the creditor considering the credit profile. The scoring range you mention looks good but it's never just about score. Creditors/products do not all have identical criteria. "Fine" for one could be "too much" for another. All you can do is keep an eye on the limits and rates you're approved for to give you a rough idea -- though the limit your profile qualifies for can vary by creditor/product.

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
Credit score has been hovering around 780-800
What score? Which model(s)? Which CRA('s)?
Old Feb 2, 2016, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Citi will be your 4th new account in past 6 months if AMEX history will not get transferred. It is possible that Citi will deny the application.
Not likely to get a denial at all just because 4 new accounts in past 6 months. The lowest number of inquiries that Citi has known to have rejected anyone for is 6 in the past 6 months. So 4 in the past 6 months should be no problem as far as inquiries go. (And Citi does not count new cards on credit reports the way Chase does now for its non-partner personal card applications.)
Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Similar scores to you (802 TU/799 EF/770 EX) and I've applied for 11 total cards since 10/2014. I think you should be fine.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Similar scores to you (802 TU/799 EF/770 EX) and I've applied for 11 total cards since 10/2014. I think you should be fine.
Yes you should be fine. I have 17 new accounts in the last 2 years. I was approved for my 18 last week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.