Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2020, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
The US Bank Cash Plus card offers 5% cash back in two categories you choose, up to a total of $2000 in purchases, each quarter. You can also earn 2% unlimited on one other category and 1% unlimited on all other spending.

Public Signup Offer: $150 ($200) cash back after $500 in spending within first 90 days. This card has no annual fee. Also available to many (but not all) customers as a downgrade option from other US Bank personal cards.
https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/...it-card-1.html

The categories available, as of August 2020, are:

5% Categories
  • Cell Phone Providers
  • Department Stores
  • Electronics Stores
  • Fast Food
  • Furniture Stores
  • Ground Transportation
  • Gyms/Fitness Centers
  • Home Utilities
  • Movie Theaters
  • Select Clothing Stores
  • Sporting Goods Stores
  • TV, Internet & Streaming Services
2% Categories
  • Gas Stations
  • Grocery Stores
  • Restaurants

For each category, there is a list published on the US Bank site of specific examples of merchants who qualify in each category: Cash Plus Merchant List

For most categories, similar merchants may also be allowed. Here is a place for the FT community to list what has and has not worked: (always check the Cash Plus site first, to see if the merchant is listed directly)
  • Cell Phone Providers
  • Department Stores
  • Electronics Stores
    • B&H Photo Video did NOT qualify [August 2020, codes as "CAMERA AND PHOTOGRAPHIC SUPPLY STORES"]
    • GameStop.com did NOT qualify [November 2021]
    • Google Online Store (to purchase Nest direct from Google) did NOT qualify [June 2020 codes as "COMPUTERS, COMP PERIPHERAL EQUIPMENT, SOFTWARE"]
    • Micro Center did NOT qualify [July 2020, codes as "COMPUTER SOFTWARE STORES"]
    • Netgear.com online store did NOT qualify [November 2021]
  • Fast Food
    • Potbelly did NOT qualify [November 2020, classified as "EATING PLACES, RESTAURANTS"]
    • A&W qualified [November 2020]
    • Panera Bread qualified [October 2020]
    • Dunkin Donuts (both with and without a paired Baskin Robbins) qualified [November 2020]
    • Little Caesar's qualified [October 2020]
  • Furniture Stores [this seems to correspond to Merchant Category [color=#0c2074]"EQUIPMENT/FURNITURE/HOME FURNISHINGS (EXCEPT APPLIANCES)"
    • Crate & Barrel Online did NOT qualify [May 2020 codes as "MISC HOME FURNISHING STORES"]
    • Industry West (industrywest.com) qualified [March 2021]
    • Lumens.com qualified [May 2021]
  • Ground Transportation
  • Gyms/Fitness Centers
  • Home Utilities
    • PG&E one-time web payment qualified [May 2021]
    • Recology, Sunset Scavenger Division web payment, qualified [April 2021]
    • San Francisco Water Department web payment qualified [May 2021]
    • Lenoir City Utilities Board via their payment processor website lcub.utilitynexus.com qualified
    • First Utlility District of Knox County qualified via their payment processor
    • Knoxville Utilities Board qualified via their payment processor
    • Waste Management qualified via their website
    • Silicon Valley Power (City of Santa Clara, CA) qualified via their website
    • Waste Connections qualified via their website
    • Many Plastiq payments code as utilities. Code your payee as utilities, and it will qualify.
  • Movie Theaters
  • Select Clothing Stores
    • There are only 13 specific merchants, listed on the Cash Plus site, that qualify in this category
  • Sporting Goods Stores
    • GrabAGun.com didn't qualify
    • Most gun stores will qualify, except the above mentioned one.
  • TV, Internet & Streaming Services
    • Google Fiber Internet [July 2021 - DOES work]

Print Wikipost

US Bank Cash Plus?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by sdsearch
What is your CL on your Flexperks? Cash+ is a Visa Signature card, which has a minimum CL (I'm not sure what it at US Bank, but at some other banks it's $5k CL minimum).

And was it Flexperks Visa, or another type of Flexperks?

And how long had you had it open? (Many banks these days refuse to PC a card that's been for less than a year.)

I was able to PC a no-AF legacy Flexperks Visa (which had started out as a NW Visa) card to Cash+ a week or two ago, but then I had a CL well above $10k on the Flexperks (even though my Flexperks was not a Visa Signature).
I have $7.5k CL, Visa, first renewal, so 1 year old.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by halamadrid
You have to pick what works best. If you plan ahead for those one time purchases (like furniture - unless you are constantly buying furniture lol) then this could really work. For me utilities are higher and always an outlier in terms of having no cards that cover them. In terms of electronics and department stores I used to pick those categories around the holidays, but then Amex or Freedom or Discover would have offers or Amazon would have offers and I'd end up not using the Cash+. With utilities I know nobody else is going to cover it so I know I can always count on getting a return on that.
Applied yesterday, went to pending 7-10 day by mail. Is it a denial?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: Several
Interesting, I have a data point to add then. I had Flexperks card which I wanted to convert to a Cash+. I called in and they allowed me to do, but the CSR misunderstood and my account was transferred to the Cash365 card instead. About a week after receiving the card, I called and told them what happened. They happily converted my Cash365 into a Cash+ card. This happened around a few months ago. I've had the card open for about 4 years in total, and rarely if ever put spend on it (I initially got it just for a free checking account as US Bank was the only chain bank where I was moving to).
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
FYI, for anyone hoping to use their Cash+ card for the gym rebate category, YMCAs do NOT code as a gym (at least my local one didn't). Apparently it codes as a "membership association" or something like that and not as a "real" gym. Customer service can't do anything unless the coding is right. I'm pretty irritated because we paid our dues for the whole year in one lump sum on the Cash+ card to get the 5% back- definitely would have chosen a different card if I had known. Live and learn, I guess.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 5:13 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

This card has been disappointing. All the 5% categories are so narrow. It is pretty much useless for me now, at least for the Q4-2018. May want to PC it to another card. Not a lot of good CC I want from US Bank....
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:10 pm

I now use it strictly for the Utilities category (electric, gas, water, trash pick up). No other card gives me anything extra on these categories so I held on to the card. Before they introduced the utilities categories I was thinking of letting it go because the other categories were nothing to write home about.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
This card has been disappointing. All the 5% categories are so narrow. It is pretty much useless for me now, at least for the Q4-2018. May want to PC it to another card. Not a lot of good CC I want from US Bank....
I much prefer the standard categories throughout the year over the rotating categories that many 5% back cards have. The utilities and cell phone categories make the card a keeper for me, and even before the utilities category came the other ones were enough to at least keep me interested and use it sporadically on furniture, clothing, and sports store purchases.

I have two homes and a family cell phone plan though, so this is actually one of my most valuable cards in terms of rewards.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
I much prefer the standard categories throughout the year over the rotating categories that many 5% back cards have. The utilities and cell phone categories make the card a keeper for me, and even before the utilities category came the other ones were enough to at least keep me interested and use it sporadically on furniture, clothing, and sports store purchases.

I have two homes and a family cell phone plan though, so this is actually one of my most valuable cards in terms of rewards.
I prefer electronic stores as my category. My cell phone expenses are only $45 per month for 2 lines and my utilities expenses are only around $50 per month. So I usually select Furniture Stores or Department Stores as my second category. I have all other categories covered by other cards.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yugi
I prefer electronic stores as my category. My cell phone expenses are only $45 per month for 2 lines and my utilities expenses are only around $50 per month. So I usually select Furniture Stores or Department Stores as my second category. I have all other categories covered by other cards.
I still recall researching this card before, but never signed up. Then I read some of the blogs and say this is a great card and it shows the showdown between Cash + vs Freedom vs. Discover etc. But this 5% is much worse than Freedom, Discover, Citi Dividend. Not the same league. Keep it in the drawer for some time to see what happens next.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 12:31 am

That's the kicker with this card; it really depends on where you spend. Having two water bills, two electricity bills, and a family cell plan usually lead me to using this card for about $700/month in 5% purchases. I think I average about $30ish/month in cash back from it. For me, it's a great card because of that, and I don't think any other card could come close to getting me that much value relative to spending. I don't travel as much anymore so my travel spending (on my own dime) is limited, which is why I've shifted towards cash back instead of hotel or airline points.

The other two select-able categories for 2% back aren't bad either, but I have the Citi 2% card anyways.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
That's the kicker with this card; it really depends on where you spend. Having two water bills, two electricity bills, and a family cell plan usually lead me to using this card for about $700/month in 5% purchases. I think I average about $30ish/month in cash back from it. For me, it's a great card because of that, and I don't think any other card could come close to getting me that much value relative to spending. I don't travel as much anymore so my travel spending (on my own dime) is limited, which is why I've shifted towards cash back instead of hotel or airline points.

The other two select-able categories for 2% back aren't bad either, but I have the Citi 2% card anyways.
Good for you. Our gas/power utility won't even take CC. And we do not spend a whole lot on other utilities. We get BA PR card that pays 2.625% cash, better than any other flat rate CCs.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:10 pm

Good for you. Our gas/power utility won't even take CC. And we do not spend a whole lot on other utilities. We get BA PR card that pays 2.625% cash, better than any other flat rate CCs.
I guess my situation is a sort of misnomer as one water utility charges a flat rate whether its a CC charge or a deposit from bank which baffles me, but the 5% makes up the difference in that case. One of the electric bills of my mine also charges a 2.5% fee when paying with a credit card, but it still nets me 2.5% cash back after the fee so I still see it as a win.

I think I would average around 3% back when credit card fees are included in the equation, but I'm still ahead in my book considering I have to pay these bills regardless. The cash back I earn just goes to investments anyways so in a roundabout way it's an excuse to save a few more dollar a month.

I'm somewhat lucky in that most of the utilities I pay do accept a CC payment, albeit with a fee for some. That kind of payment can be a huge part of someone's budget, so the 5% back even with fees can earn someone decent returns on something they'd have to pay anyways (at least in my mind). I'm all for the Dave Ramsey approach in most situations, but he's never come around to the benefits of credit cards if used appropriately.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Applied yesterday, went to pending 7-10 day by mail. Is it a denial?
From your later post in this thread I assume that you got approved. For you and any others here, were you able to get approved for without freezing the two fringe credit reports that bloggers suggest for US Bank and or have opened many CC's in the last two years? I am at 5/24 and trying to assess my chances so as to not waste a pull, and sending in snail mail with all my PII is not something I will do for this card.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
From your later post in this thread I assume that you got approved. For you and any others here, were you able to get approved for without freezing the two fringe credit reports that bloggers suggest for US Bank and or have opened many CC's in the last two years? I am at 5/24 and trying to assess my chances so as to not waste a pull, and sending in snail mail with all my PII is not something I will do for this card.
I have 2 of those credit bureaus frozen, and I'm LOL/24, and had 3 US Bank CCs at that time. I applied for 2 US Bank CCs at that same day - Flexperks Business and Cash+. Cash+ was approved automatically, for Business flexperks I was declined based on too much credit from USB, then called in and shifted some of the credit from another card, and was approved. Right now I have Altitude Reserve, Flexperks Visa Signature, Business Flexperks Visa, Club Carlson Business Visa, and Cash+.

Altitude Reserve is better than this for in-person transactions, it yields 4.5% everywhere. For online I use a combination of Citi AT&T Access More for 3x TYP, and Amex BBP (2x MR), as a backup I have grandfathered Priceline Visa card, which yields 3.33% on everything.

Last edited by EmailKid; Jan 2, 2019 at 8:50 am Reason: Back to back posts
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by isle-hawg
Yes on both counts. I was approx. 33/24 when I got my Cash+ and while I had previously obtained copies of my Sagestream and ARS reports (the 2 fringe CRAs you are referring to) neither were frozen. I had also pulled my LexisNexis report and successfully disputed off a boatload of incorrect and false information including the conflicting DOB and partial SSN of someone else with similar first and same last name living elsewhere in the US. My app went to manual review which is not uncommon with applicants new to USBank but I was not asked to send in ID or POI verification.
isle-hawg likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.