Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays launches Luxury Card MasterCard (replaces VISA Black)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Here are the newest versions of this card.

Titanium
10,000 points after $1,000 spend in first 90 days
2% redemption on airfare, 1% on everything else
$195 AF

Black
25,000 points after $1,500 spend in first 90 days
2% redemption on airfare, 1.5% on everything else
$495 AF
$100 airline credit per calendar year
$100 Global Entry credit

Gold
50,000 points after $3,000 spend in first 90 days
2% redemption on airfare or statement credits, 1% on everything else
$995 AF
$200 airline credit per calendar year
$100 Global Entry credit

Lounge Club membership for Black/Gold, other assorted benefits are named but no prices are given.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:41 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by eibboh
Here are the newest versions of this card.

Titanium
10,000 points after $1,000 spend in first 90 days
2% redemption on airfare, 1% on everything else
$195 AF

Black
25,000 points after $1,500 spend in first 90 days
2% redemption on airfare, 1.5% on everything else
$495 AF
$100 airline credit per calendar year
$100 Global Entry credit

Gold
50,000 points after $3,000 spend in first 90 days
2% redemption on airfare or statement credits, 1% on everything else
$995 AF
$200 airline credit per calendar year
$100 Global Entry credit

Lounge Club membership for Black/Gold, other assorted benefits are named but no prices are given.
Wow, what a ripoff. $1,000 per year for benefits of the Arrival plus with $300 in travel credits.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Wow, looks pretty. Expensive.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:54 pm

$1,000 for a gold plated cards with the same cashback as double cash and lounge club that 10 other cards offer?

Sounds like a great deal! /sarcasm
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:26 pm

They had a chance at making this card really good. The benefits / services do not match up to the pricing.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:27 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by hiima
Wow, looks pretty. Expensive.
Very expensive
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:32 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GrnLantern
They had a chance at making this card really good. The benefits / services do not match up to the pricing.
Exactly. Makes me happy I didn't stick around. I'm happy with my Ritz/Plat/CSP combo.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:57 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by uneeq
$1,000 for a gold plated cards with the same cashback as double cash and lounge club that 10 other cards offer?

Sounds like a great deal! /sarcasm
Saudi princes will be all over this.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA Exec, CITI Prestige, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold and all ever changing
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Saudi princes will be all over this.
+1
along with the vain/shallow people (we all know someone like this, right?) that we all want to be like
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:51 pm

To be fair, 50k in points = $1,000 in airline credit. So at worst with the Gold Card you're breaking even on the fee there. With $200/year x 2 = $400 then you're making money.

The "Luxury Gifts" piece is pretty funny, though. The disclaimer reads "The gift program has no predetermined schedule or frequency." But assuming these gifts are actually from "some of the world's most iconic and recognized brand names" then I could see some value in that too, at least for potential resale purposes.

Last edited by sedubby; Jan 13, 2016 at 11:57 pm
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:48 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by sedubby
The "Luxury Gifts" piece is pretty funny, though. The disclaimer reads "The gift program has no predetermined schedule or frequency." But assuming these gifts are actually from "some of the world's most iconic and recognized brand names" then I could see some value in that too, at least for potential resale purposes.
I don't know what those iconic brands could possibly be, but I can tell you no gifts will be sent from me.
PointThrower likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
If only some of these "elite" card issuers would just give me the cash they spend on the fancy packaging. Skip the over the top package presentation on what they send in the mail (the card basically comes on a velvet pillow).
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:45 pm

"MasterCard Gold Cards are manufactured with a 24K-gold plate during production so that your card reflects your status"

lol
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:46 am

I bit, saw some datapoints about fees being waived for military so we'll see. Worst case scenario I apply the points to the af and walk away with the airline credits. Didn't get instant approval but got it after short phone call.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: I was loyal to One Pass & Star Alliance before FT ... now I value all miles and programs
Originally Posted by sedubby
To be fair, 50k in points = $1,000 in airline credit. So at worst with the Gold Card you're breaking even on the fee there. With $200/year x 2 = $400 then you're making money.

Yes, it doesn't sound too bad if you plan to keep the Gold Card for a year. $400 in airfare + random luxury gifts. I'm guessing that the inaugural year gifts are going to be pretty decent.

One thing to note is that if you hit the min. spend, you'll get 53K in points = $1060 in airfare redemption OR cash back statement credits.

Basically, the bonus points that you'll receive pays for the first year annual fee and you'll get some pocket money on top.

I'm going to give it a shot in April. This is the closest I'll get to feeling like a Saudi prince.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.