Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Fidelity 2% cash back VISA $100/$1k (New card & issuer Jan 4, 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Issued by Elan Financial Services. New account bonus, $100 for $1,000 spend within 90 days:

https://www.fidelity.com/go/rewards-visa-signature
Print Wikipost

Fidelity 2% cash back VISA $100/$1k (New card & issuer Jan 4, 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: SAA, DL, BA, UA, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by Bzzz
i can't login to fiacrdservices,com now, anyone knows where you can login to see the transaction? this is really a bad timing, especially after many fia amx holder hit by the fraudulent charges(including me) recently.
Same here - I had an attempted fraudulent transaction a little over a month ago - long story short, they shut down the card and overnighted me a new one. Yesterday I attempted a transaction that was denied but was never contacted, so didn't think much of it, until I tried logging in today and was told I was locked out and to call in. Called in, verified everything, they said they would unlock the account, and... nothing. Good riddance FIA!
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:20 am

Compare to Citi Double Cash

Anyone have thoughts regarding the pros / cons of the new Fidelity card compared to the Citi Double Cash? Both will have a total of 2% cash back.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Bruegelpie
Anyone have thoughts regarding the pros / cons of the new Fidelity card compared to the Citi Double Cash? Both will have a total of 2% cash back.
Only things I can think of:

Con for Fidelity: cashback gets deposited into your Fidelity account (I use them for checking so I don't care, but some might find it less convenient)

Con for Citi: weird 1%+1% system, should always work out, but I suppose something could get lost in the shuffle

Other than that, looks like really six of one, half a dozen of the other.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Bruegelpie
FTF on the Fidelity card is 1% vs 3% on the Citi Double Cash. Visa > MasterCard plus Costco acceptance coming soon.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by PeteyNice
FTF on the Fidelity card is 1% vs 3% on the Citi Double Cash. Visa > MasterCard plus Costco acceptance coming soon.
FTF is a good point. I can't remember the last time I saw a vendor who took Visa but not MasterCard. Then again, I can only think of two vendors I've used in the past year who didn't take Amex.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by PeteyNice
Outside of Costco, I don't see how Visa is better than MasterCard in the U.S.

Throw in Visa's purportedly poor ForEx rates, and Visas seems like cards to avoid outside the U.S.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by mnCO
It's not issued by AMEX, so almost certainly not.
Much of the speculation in August this move was coming centers on its affect on Amex and compared the situation with Costco. In that case, Costco I believe dealt directly with Amex not a processor although I could be wrong. When that move took place, current Costco customers I believe were offered the opportunity to get other Amex cards (corrct me if I'm wrong).

So the question becomes did Fidelity drop Amex because well it was Amex with somewhat lesser numbers of merchants or was it Fidelity's wish to rid itself of FIA (whch we know is a subsidiary of Bank of America. If it were simply aimed at Amex, Fidelity could have simply switched to a visa or mastercard issued by either Bank of America or FIA (much like Schwab did with its 2% rewards credit card although in that case, at least for a little while, Schwab wanted out of the credit card game and simply moved from one Bank of America card to another, From the articles, we believe although not explicitly stated on the Fidelity web site that all current Fidelity Amex rewards cardholders will get the new card automatically with US Bank through Elan assuming the portfolio. Evidently, Bank of America like many others after the brief flirtations with offering Amex cards as part of their portfolios is getting rid of most if not all of its Amex cards or so it seems. Well that leaves the question as to whether FIA or Amex or both want to try to retain any part of the current card base with a new or use one of their exisgting cards (the way Schwab cardholders were given 3-2-1 Cash Rewards cards from BofA) or whether Amex itself, which is reeling mjch more so over the loss of Costco wants to make any effort to retain some of the current cardholders (which is what they did with the Costco card base, right?)

All the articles I've read on this suggest strongly Amex is hurting big time on these latest card manuvers.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:37 pm

There is a rumor from fatwallet:
According to a rep, all the old FIA Amex will be automatically converted to a 1% rewards card. However you can still apply for the new 2% card.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by forever1001
According to a rep, all the old FIA Amex will be automatically converted to a 1% rewards card. However you can still apply for the new 2% card.
That would be highly annoying. Might as well just start using my Citi Double Cash, then, rather than having to apply for a new card.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:43 pm

As a serve card user this incredibly sucks! The new Fidelity card is worthless to me now! Waste of a hard pull.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:02 am

I am not happy that they are forcing FIA customers off to the new 2% Fido Visa CC. I enjoyed using my FIA Amex to fund Serve.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by forever1001
The news articles and Fidelity FAQ make it clear that US Bank is purchasing the portfolio, so that existing cardholders automatically will get the new 2% card.

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Only things I can think of:

Con for Fidelity: cashback gets deposited into your Fidelity account (I use them for checking so I don't care, but some might find it less convenient)

Con for Citi: weird 1%+1% system, should always work out, but I suppose something could get lost in the shuffle

Other than that, looks like really six of one, half a dozen of the other.
There is also a difference in redemption thresholds if they keep the current 5,000 points. With Citi, you need just $25

Last edited by mia; Jan 5, 2016 at 8:15 am Reason: Consolidate consecutive replies
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
I called the number on the Fidelity Visa offer page (888-551-5144), which is different from the number on my Fidelity Amex. The system immediately asked me for my card number but allowed me to proceed without one.

I asked the agent whether my 2% Amex was going to be replaced by the new 2% Visa, and he said, "Yes, in the July timeframe." He also stressed that they would try to keep the "rewards" the same as they were for the people who were being converted.

Bummer. I was just about to get a Serve OneVIP and use the Amex to load it...
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:23 pm

are they going to be changing the website to manage the account too? the current one is quite unfriendly
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:09 am

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
So for those of us with no fidelity account or just want to redeem points for statement credits, for example, has Fidelity posted the redemption charts yet? I can't find it anywhere...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.