Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

(UK?) Credit card that won't get blocked when used by partner in USA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Hi,
I live in the UK and my fiancee lives in the US.

I have UK credit card (MBNA United) that my fiancee has as a second card holder, but despite me repeatedly telling MBNA her card is in use in the US, it gets blocked when she tries to use it under their fraud protection scheme.

I have limited footprint in the US (An old Credit Union account, SSN from previous expat assignment, no credit history).

Anybody got any good ideas on the best way for her to have my card without getting blocked?

I see 3 options:
1) Find a UK bank that won't block her card (No luck so far - they can't guarantee it won't flag)
2) Find a US bank that will give me a US credit card
3) Get a prepaid US credit card (Didn't really want to do this as don't like the idea of holding funds on a card)

Many thanks in advance,

Mark
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Have you tried the Amex-issued Amex cards here in the UK? It is easy to add your partner as supplementary
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Does your fiance have a sufficient USA credit history to open her own accounts in the United States?

Do you have an American Express card? American Express acceptance is much greater in the USA than in the UK. Read about UK-issued US Dollar denominated card accounts here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/icc/...ar/dollar.html

This likely makes sense only if one of you has an income in US Dollars, because the card is billed in USD.

...discussion is in Flyertalk's American Express forum.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:16 am

In my experience even things I think should be suspicious don't get blocked by Aqua.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:17 am

I've had lots of trouble in the past using my UK cards abroad. Often requiring multiple phone calls, etc...

I haven't had any problems with AmEx even though I've used it abroad without letting them know beforehand.

If you aren't a US resident then the odds of you getting a US card is low, if not impossible.

The best bet is seeing if she can open up a credit card (maybe a secured card?) in the USA, if the issue is paying her bills then you can send her money using your bank account or debit card to the USA via Transferwise (I actually use it a lot) or standard wire transfer.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Many British visitors to the United States seem to have been pleased with having used a Revolut card.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:06 pm

If you have an SSN and a US address where you can receive mail it's not hard to get a US card. Without credit history Capital One may give you a small credit limit.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by zkzkz
If you have an SSN and a US address where you can receive mail it's not hard to get a US card. Without credit history Capital One may give you a small credit limit.
Many credit card issuers have the resident thing in the T&Cs. So if he accepts then would be fraud, if caught? I don't know what they would do...

When I first got my US cards I had to scan and upload my ID proof and SSN card to Discover. Never happened after that but I don't know what could happen.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Since opening a US card account and transferring money to the US to pay the statements sounds like a potential option, why not have yourself be added as an AU on one of her cards? We don't know your full situation though so there's probably something I'm missing.

Also, does your old CU offer credit cards? They might be a bit more flexible with regard to eligibility.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:55 pm
mil

Programs: BAEC Silver
Post Office Platinum Card

No non sterling transaction fee and have never blocked since I told them I was based in the US.

Even allowed someone who cloned my card here, to max it out in two days in NY and Miami. Something I've never even remotely approached doing, so it seems they had all fraud blocks off.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by mil

No non sterling transaction fee and have never blocked since I told them I was based in the US.

Even allowed someone who cloned my card here, to max it out in two days in NY and Miami. Something I've never even remotely approached doing, so it seems they had all fraud blocks off.
How easy is it to dispute a US transaction on a UK card? Did you get those back?
Old Nov 13, 2015, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by mil

I'm not convinced Aqua has any fraud checks on their cards... And I never notified them of my travel (that's just something I won't do... It shouldn't be my job to have to tell every card company in advance where I'm going to be)
Old Nov 13, 2015, 11:30 am
mil

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Sintaku
How easy is it to dispute a US transaction on a UK card? Did you get those back?
One phone call and the transactions were all refunded in a few days and later faxed over a signature on a form confirming the fraudulent transactions.

They definitely blocked my card at first until I told them I was here and gave them a US address as well, if I remember correctly. Although they sent the replacement card to the UK but I didn't ask for any thing different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.