Best CC to replace my Venture card?

Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Hi all, I wanted to come here for some advice on the next CC I should get.

Wallet:

Capital One Venture (fee is coming up in December)
uPromise cash back (no fee, and I get 10% cash back for various online purchases...keep)
Fidelity 2% Cash Back AMEX (no fee, keep)
Southwest Visa (probably shouldn't have gotten this, but the anniversary points make up for most of the fee, so probably keep)
Old Wells Fargo CC (no fee, bad rewards, but oldest card so keep)

Just signed up for the targeted 100,000 point AMEX Platinum card, and I want to find something to replace my Capital One Venture 2X miles card. I know everyone throws around the CSP, but with the relatively high spend requirement and lack of double miles on every purchase, I don't know if it'll be worth it to replace my CapOne card.

Any suggestions on what I should add, or something to replace the Venture card? Should I just keep the CapOne card?

Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:28 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Welcome to Flyertalk

Originally Posted by travlngeng
...lack of double miles on every purchase...
Don't be distracted by the number of miles or points, focus on value. Venture points have a fixed monetary value of $0.01 each. Airline miles, and points which are convertible to miles, can be worth $0.02 or more, but this will depend entirely on how you redeem them.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat

I have Venture along with Ink and a couple of airline cards. I typically use airline cards for award flights, as well as Ink transfers. I typically use my Venture to redeem for hotels, rental cars, airline fees, etc. I like its flexibility a lot. I wouldn't be put off by the AF. It's not that high and Cap 1 is pretty good about waiving it if asked. Good luck
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA, AA, United

did you consider the citi double cash card. no AF and 2% CB on all purchases. there are no sign on bonus for this card. so if you have a citi card that you want to close, you can PC to this card. if PCed 2 of my citi exec cards to this.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses.

My only concern with keeping the Venture if (when) I get another card is my ability to use it enough to make the fee worth it. I do plan on trying to get the fee waived or reduced and keeping it, since I've had no issues with CapOne and have gotten good value out of it so far (paid fully for nearly two trips with it), but I appreciate the feedback! It sounds like I need to try and re-frame my mind around what value each reward gives me rather than the actual number of rewards.

-------------------------

So, let me re-word my question after the last two responses...best card to add to my rotation at the moment? I don't necessarily have any brand/airline loyalty because I haven't needed to yet, but I like staying at Hyatts/Westins/Hiltons/"high"-ish mid-range brand...really just depends on where I'm going. Being at a larger regional airport means no hub for any airline, but most airlines fly out of my airport. I've found the cheapest flights are usually Southwest, Delta, and occasionally United. I know a common favorite is the SPG AMEX, but I missed out on the 30,000 offer and I would rather add a MasterCard or Visa to my rotation right now if a good offer is around.

Most of my spend is monthly bills, food, entertainment, etc., but I plan on doing a lot more personal traveling (3-5 trips a year) from now on. Not opposed to annual fees at all, just want to make sure I get enough value to make the fee worth it.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:49 pm

I would look at the Ink Plus Business card, which just got a nice bump up for the sign up bonus (60k Chase UR after $5k in 3months). It is a little higher spending but Chase UR points are great and I believe Chase is getting a little stricter on number of card applications so its a good one to get early.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat

Citi Premier card?
Old Sep 24, 2015, 3:48 pm

Barclay A+ gives 2 points per dollar. you can use towards travel.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by travlngeng
Any suggestions on what I should add, or something to replace the Venture card? Should I just keep the CapOne card?
Pick anything you want.

You have not said anything that will allow for a recommendation.

At the minimum - why exactly are you trying to look for?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

I was more looking for advice on some good travel-reward cards out there, other than Chase Sapphire Preferred or SPG AMEX. Those seem to be the go-to card recommendations and I just wanted some other ideas to muddy the waters

I ended up applying for the AMEX Platinum targeted 100k bonus offer, CSP, Chase Freedom to pair with my CSP for the rotation 5x bonus categories. I also downgraded my Venture to the fee-free version for 1.25 mile/dollar.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.