Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Combing Wells Fargo Rewards from multiple cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

I've had the Wells Fargo Visa Signature (no annual fee, ever) for nearly 6 months now, so my 5x bonus period is coming to an end.

I'd like to get the Wells Fargo AmEx Propel card next (no annual fee first year, $175 thereafter) for its 40,000 point bonus.

Will these new rewards points be put into a different bucket than the ones I already have from the Visa Signature? If I want to cancel before the annual fee kicks in, and I still have points all blended together in one account, will I be able to keep them since I'll still have the Visa Signature active? Or will I be forced to spend the 40,000 before closing the Propel account (or even ALL the points before closing the Propel account, if that's the rule?)?

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:40 pm

No personal experience, but…

Originally Posted by Wells Fargo T&Cs
If any contributing account is closed for any reason, depending on the type of contributing account that closes, the rewards currency related to that contributing account may be forfeited on the date of closure. If the contributing account that is closed is the last contributing account in a rewards account, then, depending on the type of contributing account, the rewards account may also be closed and any rewards currency in the rewards account will be forfeited on the date of closure. Any Pending rewards currency related to the closed contributing account or rewards account may also be forfeited. If you have a rewards account with multiple contributing accounts that can be closed, only the rewards currency associated with the contributing account that is closed will be forfeited. No other rewards currency will be affected.

If your Wells Fargo consumer Credit Card is closed for any reason, the rewards currency associated with that contributing account will be forfeited on the date of closure. Any Pending rewards currency associated with that contributing account will also be forfeited.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, medellinfein! I thought I'd looked at the WF T&C, but obviously not closely enough. That seems to spell it out.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Astoriano
Thanks, medellinfein! I thought I'd looked at the WF T&C, but obviously not closely enough. That seems to spell it out.
Yes, the T&Cs seem clear enough, but they are not always enforced. As I just got approved for the other propel card, I should be able to provide you more information shortly
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

I actually just found a slightly different T&C for each card (said to be as of Jan. 2015, and which has slightly different language from the one you posted, but sounds to effectively mean the same):

If Your credit card is closed for any reason, the Points associated with the credit card will be forfeited on the date of closure. Any Pending Points associated with the credit card will also be forfeited.

It doesn't quite have the reassuring language that your T&C passage does about your other points being safe, but maybe they just decided that info was redundant.

What really hurts my plan, however, is this:

Points are redeemed on a first-in first-out basis.

I'll have about 200,000 points after my 6 months are done with the Visa Signature. I was gonna get the Propel to tack on another 40,000. But I'm almost positive I won't be able to spend those 200,000 points before a year is up, and I'd need to cancel the Propel to avoid the $175 fee. Which means I'd forfeit those 40,000 points. Or have to pay the $175 fee to keep them, which is still a net positive, but...I'd rather wait until those 200,000 points are depleted.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Are the $200,000 points worth $2000.00 cash back?

I have a Wells mortgage and have never paid attention to their card offers
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mhdena
Are the $200,000 points worth $2000.00 cash back?
Yes, $2000 cash back or $3000 towards any airfare (albeit with a $24 fee per airfare redemption).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.