Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

No FTF cards - does Mastercard still impose 1% fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No FTF cards - does Mastercard still impose 1% fee?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

this is annoying since my cap1 card isn't even chip and signature let alone chip and pin
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by PackingIt
This page seems to imply that many no FTF cards really are no FTF. Is Barclays the odd man out in *not* absorbing the 1% fee on their 'no FTF' card?

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/cred...fee-chart.aspx
This is not very useful because when it says "fee waived for X, Y and Z" under a certain issuer, it does not specify whether they waive the entire 3% or just their 2% "issuer fee".
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:11 pm

It says fee waived next to the total (which includes both), so I interpret that to mean the total fee is waived. Can anyone confirm either way?

Originally Posted by michael_v
This is not very useful because when it says "fee waived for X, Y and Z" under a certain issuer, it does not specify whether they waive the entire 3% or just their 2% "issuer fee".
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by greggarious
this is annoying since my cap1 card isn't even chip and signature let alone chip and pin
Which card do you have? The Venture, Quicksilver, and Spark families are all Chip and Signature. But you can't just call and ask to get a chip version, when they decide to send you one they'll notify you by email a couple weeks before it comes. If you don't have one of those cards, you could probably contact them about converting to a card that does come with Chip and Signature.

Note that Capital One cards don't support PIN for purchases at all, so there may be problems with unattended gas stations and ticket kiosks and such, especially in Europe, where they are configured for Chip and PIN only. Your Arrival+ does support PIN, but prefers Signature, so you'll still have to sign for most things but if there are places that only support PIN, it will work.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So does Google currency conversion factor in this 1%? I was in Norway earlier this month, and I was comparing the conversion rates I was getting from the Barclay Aviator Red card (which also says it's 0% forex) with the conversion rates from Googling "convert xxx NOK to USD", and it matched perfectly for one or another day (it wasn't always the conversion rate on the day of going "pending" or on the day of posting, it seemed to vary a bit as to which day it was if there were several days between pending and posting).
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
I got a reply:

Currently debating making an FTC complaint - this seems like a deceptive trade practice to me. They say there are no "foreign transaction fees" but charge a fee for making a transaction in non-US currency?!
I contacted them regarding the Aviator Red card and got an almost verbatim response regarding the 1% mastercard fee.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Hmm, I've used it extensively in Hong Kong and always got a near perfect rate. Certainly never noticed a 1% difference. Then again the rate is pegged but my CSP has a 1% diff sometimes.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:02 am

This sure does seem a bit fishy to me. I'm very curious if there are any other no FTF cards that have the same practice. If Barclaycard is the only one, than that really does seem like false advertising.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:09 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There is extensive comparison of VISA vs MasterCard practices in this very recent thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...nge-rates.html
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Barclay's pulled the ability to apply for the Arrival+ - I wonder if it's related?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by GoodOmens
Barclay's pulled the ability to apply for the Arrival+ - I wonder if it's related?
I just applied yesterday and noticed that it wasn't available on their main site. You have to search for it. Find my Barclay card I think.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by PackingIt
This sure does seem a bit fishy to me. I'm very curious if there are any other no FTF cards that have the same practice. If Barclaycard is the only one, than that really does seem like false advertising.
Based on the Chase thread, the practice of adding the 1% seems in line with other banks. If anything, it sounds like using a MasterCard is slightly better than visa, since they tend to base their rate off of actual market rates at the time of conversion, while Visa uses a daily average.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Which card do you have? The Venture, Quicksilver, and Spark families are all Chip and Signature. But you can't just call and ask to get a chip version, when they decide to send you one they'll notify you by email a couple weeks before it comes. If you don't have one of those cards, you could probably contact them about converting to a card that does come with Chip and Signature.

Note that Capital One cards don't support PIN for purchases at all, so there may be problems with unattended gas stations and ticket kiosks and such, especially in Europe, where they are configured for Chip and PIN only. Your Arrival+ does support PIN, but prefers Signature, so you'll still have to sign for most things but if there are places that only support PIN, it will work.
I technically don't have a quicksilver, it's another card (No Hassle Rewards) that is effectively the same (1.5% cash back on all purchases)

Last edited by greggarious; Jul 1, 2015 at 1:53 pm
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Also I spoke on the phone w/ Barclay - they confirmed they do not charge a FT but Mastercard passes on a 1% conversion fee//
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:14 pm

Also I spoke on the phone w/ Barclay - they confirmed they do not charge a FT but Mastercard passes on a 1% conversion fee//
I think that it's possible the fee is actually 1.1%. I'm dealing with Radius Bank, and they gave me these terms and conditions for their checking account, https://www.radiusbank.com/assets/fi...D-20150528.pdf. On page 9, it says the following:

MasterCard charges us a Currency Conversion Assessment of 20 basis points (.2% of the transaction) for performing
the currency conversion. In addition, MasterCard charges us an Issuer Cross-Border Assessment of 90 basis points
(.9% of the transaction) on all cross-border transactions regardless of whether there is a currency conversion. As a
result, we charge you a Currency Conversion fee of .2% and a Cross-Border Transaction fee of .9%. The
Cross-Border Transaction fee is charged on all cross-border transactions regardless of whether there is a currency
conversion. A cross-border transaction is a transaction processed through the Global Clearing Management System or
the MasterCard Debit Switch in which the country of the merchant is different than the country of the cardholder.
It's possible that Radius Bank has a different rate than Barclay does, but this makes me think that MasterCard actually charges 1.1% (by the way, Radius rebates all ATM fees, including international, but not the MasterCard fee).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.