Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Paypal forces to use their currency exchange with payment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2017, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: percysmith
Originally Posted by tvholic
There's a place to set the conversion option for each of your cards, but PayPal hides it pretty well:

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...t-pull-funding
Print Wikipost

Paypal forces to use their currency exchange with payment

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: LH Senator, Million Miler but now only Silver DL, No status AA
I don't like that PayPal now hides this....I've been looking for a while and found this thread by Google. I do like that you can now set it once per card and it will stick. When you could select it per transaction I'd often only notice that I forgot to select foreign currency until after I had processed the transaction.
Old May 31, 2016, 4:53 pm

Some product manager at Paypal got a bonus for making it nearly impossible to disable DCC, hooray. Thanks to @tvholic for posting the link on the first page to disable DCC permanently, I spent 30 minutes looking through Paypal's page and google without much success until finding this thread.

It's gotten a lot worse since ebay added this interstitial page before you pay, there's no way to disable the currency conversion on the payment page, you have to check out again and refresh your account.

The link again is:

Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by tvholic
There's a place to set the conversion option for each of your cards, but PayPal hides it pretty well:

Thank you very much! I ran into PayPal UI hell today. I kept clicking on the conversion options link under the PayPal charge in USD on a new VISA credit card, and selecting "use my card issuers rate", hit agree, and PayPal STILL showed it in USD. No matter what!

It particularly drove me nuts because an older VISA card automatically kept to Euros, just like I was used to. I got to the PayPal classic site views, but still couldn't find anyway to set it.

I had to cancel the charge and pay outside of PayPal.

This valuable link let me go and set the new card to the Seller's Invoice currency. Thank goodness! I have other charges coming soon that I will probably have to pay through PayPal, and I really wanted to use this new VISA card.

At least both cards match now. I'm expecting to be OK with the next charge.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:37 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by AONwheels
Thank you very much! I ran into PayPal UI hell today. I kept clicking on the conversion options link under the PayPal charge in USD on a new VISA credit card, and selecting "use my card issuers rate", hit agree, and PayPal STILL showed it in USD. No matter what!

It particularly drove me nuts because an older VISA card automatically kept to Euros, just like I was used to. I got to the PayPal classic site views, but still couldn't find anyway to set it.

I had to cancel the charge and pay outside of PayPal.

This valuable link let me go and set the new card to the Seller's Invoice currency. Thank goodness! I have other charges coming soon that I will probably have to pay through PayPal, and I really wanted to use this new VISA card.

At least both cards match now. I'm expecting to be OK with the next charge.
Not particularly difficult for me. I dunno is it because my Paypal account is set to opt out of DCC by default but I'm not forced into DCC this morning with a known Paypal DCC-offering merchant (CPA Australia). I had to opt-in (which is compliant).
Attached Images    
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Not particularly difficult for me. I dunno is it because my Paypal account is set to opt out of DCC by default but I'm not forced into DCC this morning with a known Paypal DCC-offering merchant (CPA Australia). I had to opt-in (which is compliant).
When I got the invoice or payment or whatever it was called in PayPal, the UI was different from what you are showing. It just showed me the charge, let me pick the credit card to use, and had a link underneath the conversion amount to go to conversion options. I clicked on that link, set "use card issuer's rate" and pressed the agree button. It returned to the original payment page, but still showed Paypal converting to USD. So - it completely ignored the selection I had just made in the conversion options and was stuck in using DCC only. A bug in the PayPal UI. No reason why it should not have returned showing the charge in Euros instead since it gave me a way to change it. Bug!!!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:48 pm

I am in Malaysia and this is getting on my nerve. How can PayPal hold us ransom for ebay purchases?

PayPal is now indeed not Ebay ie they "separated" last year, but it seems both are conspiring to force ebayers to submit to their plan of taking advantage of buyers. PayPal insist on being the money changer, as they can profit even more and the exchange rate could be way higher than what it is actually at the moment. PayPal can get a comission when processing the payment for the seller, and they can also get additional [hidden] comission from the buyer. To make it worse, it is up to them how much the exchange rate is.

Today, the exchange rate [on my screen by google is 1USD=4.0465. PayPal is quoting 4.167! . My card issuer do not charge any fees for currency conversion, and the card issuer also only uses MC/VISA rate without any additional fees

Last time there was an option to choose if PayPal would convert the currency or not, but now that option is taken away.
It seems PayPal is determined on forcing ebayers to pay them their controversial exchange rates

TO THOSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM: WRITE TO THE FTC .. FEDERAL TRADE COMISSION. TELL THEM THAN PAYPAL IS VIOLATING USA ANTICOMPETETIVE LAW. YOU CAN JUST SEARCH FOR FTC WEBSITE BY GOOGLE, AND WRITE A COMPLAINT THAT PAYPAL IS FORCING YOU TO ACCEPT THEIR CONTROVERSIAL EXCHANGE RATE.

You can also to that up, write to your respective central bank which regulates the law relating to the use of money. Tell them that PayPal is forcing you to accept their abominable exchange rate and ebay is also using PayPal as their credit card processing company, ie if the user did not use PayPal as the payment processor

Last edited by joey51000; Jul 28, 2016 at 7:49 pm Reason: additional info
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by joey51000
Last time there was an option to choose if PayPal would convert the currency or not, but now that option is taken away.
It seems PayPal is determined on forcing ebayers to pay them their controversial exchange rates

TO THOSE HAVING THIS PROBLEM: WRITE TO THE FTC .. FEDERAL TRADE COMISSION. TELL THEM THAN PAYPAL IS VIOLATING USA ANTICOMPETETIVE LAW. YOU CAN JUST SEARCH FOR FTC WEBSITE BY GOOGLE, AND WRITE A COMPLAINT THAT PAYPAL IS FORCING YOU TO ACCEPT THEIR CONTROVERSIAL EXCHANGE RATE.
One vigilante-type tactic you can adopt is to use Mastercard every time, because Mastercard allows for chargeback even after you opted into DCC http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...l#post25617202

You need to find an issuer willing to chargeback Paypal for everything and anything. Might take a bit of trial and error.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:03 am

You can still change this, but the lovely folks at PayPal have buried it even deeper, in an area where it doesn't belong.

...and you can't change it from eBay's checkout anymore, which is ridiculous. You have to back out of checkout and go back in once you change the setting on PayPal's site.

Go to your profile (the gear), payments, preapproved payments, then click "set available funding sources". By any source that's a credit card, there should be a "conversion options" link where you can select "bill me in the currency listed on the seller's invoice"

When set there, the DCC declination applies across all PayPal transactions. I just bought something from the UK off eBay the other day and it correctly defaulted to charging my card in GBP rather than using whatever insane GBP -> USD rate I'm sure PayPal is using.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: QFF
New Ebay Checkout - PayPal DCC

(QUOTE=der_saeufer; 26986169 You can still change this, but the lovely folks at PayPal have buried it even deeper, in an area where it doesn't belong....and you can't change it from eBay's checkout anymore, which is ridiculous. You have to back out of checkout and go back in once you change the setting on PayPal's site)

Yes...the DCC cancer has metastasised to PayPal Australia!
I copped a 4% DCC when buying 2 items in GBP this week from ebay.co.uk. I have a 0% fee MC and the card has always converted US$/GBP etc to AUD$ with no loading in the past.
The "new style" Ebay checkout had the amount in GBP but no warning of the PayPal processed scalp. There was also no "currency choice" tab that I recall from previous checkouts.
While I gather it is possible to change billing settings hidden deep within the bowels of a PayPal account I was checking out using the "guest" credit card option as I don't have a PayPal account.
Fortunately I'm only out of pocket by about AUD $3.50 but very annoyed at what I see as non-disclosure.
I'm not sure if a MC 4846 chargeback would work as I guess my complaint revolves not about being given "choice of currency" but the fact that PayPal did the conversion rather than my MC cc as I had expected.
Visa 76 would have been better in this instance as they state "not advised that DCC would occur"...but there you go.
The non-disclosure as I see it may have some mileage if I take it up with the financial ombudsman here (FOS) or the financial regulator (ASIC) but I'm not holding my breath...
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:17 am

Personally, it makes me kinda happy Australians are now experiencing forced DCC themselves. Call it a bit of well-deserved Schadenfreude.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:59 am

Your purchase in #11 was from an Australian merchant?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AllieKat
Personally, it makes me kinda happy Australians are now experiencing forced DCC themselves. Call it a bit of well-deserved Schadenfreude.
I must have missed something, but why?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
That's because AMEX always handles currency conversion on its own and does not allow third parties to do it.
This is not universally true. I just purchased something yesterday from a foreign website that charges in foreign currency and advertises that they take American Express. The payment chain went like this:

Website -> 2Checkout -> Paypal -> AMEX

The transaction was converted to USD at the 2Checkout stage (they have a bunch currency options EXCEPT the local currency of the website; so it seems like they force you to use their currency conversion no matter what, and the rate is bad).
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by TObject
Website -> 2Checkout -> Paypal -> AMEX

The transaction was converted to USD at the 2Checkout stage (they have a bunch currency options EXCEPT the local currency of the website; so it seems like they force you to use their currency conversion no matter what, and the rate is bad).
Point of sale multi-currency conversion https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...l#post26909506 . To your issuer, it would be like you were never quoted a non-USD price. Take it or leave it.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I must have missed something, but why?
A supposed "consumer protection" agency in Australia is one of the largest proponents of DCC. They are the ones who fight Visa and MasterCard hard to prevent them from protecting customers from DCC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.