Search

Bank of America Cash Rewards

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2015, 3:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Bank of America Cash Rewards

Have the BofA Visa which they converted me to when they took over the Schwab Visa which gave 2% cash back on everything.

When I log in, they have an offer for Cash Rewards card, $200 cash rewards bonus for $500 spend in first 90 days.

Tempting, the main difference seems to be 3% FTF vs. the 0 FTF on my card (not even sure what they call it -- I think some terms like the 0 FTF was grandfathered in from Schwab).

I do have Chase Sapphire Preferred for 0 FTF and I use it a lot for the travel bonus. However, I may not keep it since it has an AF.

Anyone else bite on this Cash Rewards offer?
Old May 13, 2015, 4:56 pm

A) How much do you value your CSP points? >$0.02 /point (or 2%)?

B) Do you qualify for preferred rewards?

As a signup bonus, $200 for a hard pull is okay for only $500 spend (you can get higher value via hotel/flight cards, or >$300 for $3k spend on some cards)

Looking at everyday usage, it's nothing spectacular (with preferred rewards plat honors, you get max of 1.75%/2.75%/3.75% (?) regular-spend/grocery/gas). If you value your CSP points > $0.02/pt, then you probably won't use the cash rewards card at all

The travel rewards card look better for regular spend & 0% FTF. get this one if you don't want to pay CSP AF and qualify for plat honors

plat honors: 2.625% back redeemable towards travel on regular spend

Last edited by paperwastage; May 13, 2015 at 6:10 pm
Old May 13, 2015, 5:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Well I'm getting the Citi Double Cash card.

Yes I know what you mean about Chase points. I have over 200k and over 400k UA MP miles.

What are preferred rewards, booking flights through the UR portal?
Old May 13, 2015, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
What are preferred rewards, booking flights through the UR portal?
Look at the right side of the page. You get 10%-75% bonus on top of your normal earnings within preferred rewards
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...credit-card.go

Preferred rewards is a program within BoA that gives you benefits (% bonus, free merrill edge trades, atm refunds, ....). you need 25k-100k in assets (checking, savings, IRA, brokerage) to qualify

http://info.bankofamerica.com/preferred-rewards/

as I've mentioned, the BoA Travel rewards + Plat honors bonus beats the Arrival+ card.

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...credit-card.go

1.5x points on regular spend + 75% bonus = 2.625x points. you have to redeem towards travel purchases (similar to Arrival+'s 2.2x), but no AF

Last edited by paperwastage; May 13, 2015 at 6:17 pm
Old May 13, 2015, 6:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Ah, I'd never bank with BofA. Or Chase for that matter.

I'm sure there are all kinds of fees for their bank accounts so any bonus you'd get, you'd pay more fees one way or another.

That's how the big banks make a lot of their money.
Old May 13, 2015, 6:58 pm

Ah, I'd never bank with BofA. Or Chase for that matter.

I'm sure there are all kinds of fees for their bank accounts so any bonus you'd get, you'd pay more fees one way or another.

That's how the big banks make a lot of their money.
putting 25k-100k in a 0.01% savings account doesn't make sense

putting 25k-100k in a merrill edge account (Roth IRA, Brokerage) where you get 30-100 free Equity/ETF trades a month.... why not? (also, fees are waived on up to 4 checking and 4 savings accounts)

you can buy all the mainstream ETFs (Vanguard/Fidelity/...), and there's almost no way for BoA to hide any fees in that tight spread...

if you have a lot of money/assets, BoA/ME treats you really well. Just don't listen to their upsells

Last edited by paperwastage; May 13, 2015 at 7:06 pm
Old May 14, 2015, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by paperwastage
A) How much do you value your CSP points? >$0.02 /point (or 2%)?

B) Do you qualify for preferred rewards?

As a signup bonus, $200 for a hard pull is okay for only $500 spend (you can get higher value via hotel/flight cards, or >$300 for $3k spend on some cards)

Looking at everyday usage, it's nothing spectacular (with preferred rewards plat honors, you get max of 1.75%/2.75%/3.75% (?) regular-spend/grocery/gas). If you value your CSP points > $0.02/pt, then you probably won't use the cash rewards card at all

The travel rewards card look better for regular spend & 0% FTF. get this one if you don't want to pay CSP AF and qualify for plat honors

plat honors: 2.625% back redeemable towards travel on regular spend
I disagree and would never waste HP's for anything less than a $400 value
Old May 14, 2015, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
I disagree and would never waste HP's for anything less than a $400 value
true, if your purpose of every HP is to max out the bonuses (i.e. "cash out" some of your credit score)

if your purpose is to max out the value of your daily non-category spend, then the travel rewards card @2.625% back is worth the HP.... that's why I discussed both the bonus and % back

Last edited by paperwastage; May 14, 2015 at 8:57 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:05 pm

Does this card include Sam's Club under the grocery category?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Does this card include Sam's Club under the grocery category?
Yes.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by rasheed
Yes.
Thanks, I take it the quarterly system that BofA uses is based on calendar quarters (like the Freedom) and not some other system for the 2%and 3% categories.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
That is correct, calendar quarters similar to Freedom and Discover. Even though the new select a 3% category program doesn't go live until mid-January, spending in gas/groceries during the first two weeks of the month will count for the Q1-2019 spend limit.

I am hoping interest in determining Online Shopping qualified merchants will happen in January as the program starts.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Oh there's a limit on the 3% category?

I use it for gas but if I choose restaurants, then gas wouldn't be 3%?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Oh there's a limit on the 3% category?

I use it for gas but if I choose restaurants, then gas wouldn't be 3%?
The email BOA sent says:Earn 3% and 2% cash back on up to $2,500 in combined choice category/grocery store/wholesale club purchases each quarter.Since I don’t use the card for the grocery store/wholesale club category, it implies $2500 for the chosen 3% category.
I also get more back with my travel credit cards in the gas, dining, online shopping, and travel categories.It is probably a draw between my travel cards and BOA’s 3% back in the remaining two categories. I will probably choose Drug Stores as I seldom buy from home improvement /furnishings.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hmm, I have a 3% dining card but not a 3% gas card.

So I'd definitely would want to keep getting 3% on gas.

Up to $2500 in rebated 3% transactions or up to $2500 in transactions for which you'd get 3%? The first case would be charging what, $750k to earn back $2500? The second case would be charging $2500 and getting $75 back. Probably the latter but only $75 is not some huge bonanza.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.