Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ugly Credit Cards

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Definitely the Carlson cards. Now that they've been gutted, glad to cancel them. I've had nothing but terrible experiences with US Bank so far.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: Braniff, TWA, Eastern, Midwest, AA Exec, Club Carlson Gold
The Carlson cards are truly hideous. Chase Freedom is also relatively ugly.

On the other hand, the newest Citi AA cards are beautiful, especially the Executive since it's black. Depicted on the card is a topographic map with an airliner flying and casting a shadow on the map.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Electroman
Chase Freedom is also relatively ugly.
I feel like we could have a sub debate over ugliest no annual fee cards. I'm not a big fan of the Freedom but it does stick out from the rest of the sock drawered cards. Most of the Bank of America cards were hideous. The replacement for this cards is a bit better, but looks like the Chase Freedom, except it is red instead of blue.

Old:

New:

Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I feel like we could have a sub debate over ugliest no annual fee cards. I'm not a big fan of the Freedom but it does stick out from the rest of the sock drawered cards. Most of the Bank of America cards were hideous. The replacement for this cards is a bit better, but looks like the Chase Freedom, except it is red instead of blue.

Old:

New:

Are all of the Americards like this now?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I will not say they are ugly.

But seriously, why Wells Fargo still have to use stagecoach again, again, and again...

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
The replacement for this cards is a bit better, but looks like the Chase Freedom, except it is red instead of blue.
Sorry to disappoint you

There is actually a "Chase Freedom" blue for BankAmericard Travel Rewards.

Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:59 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Why focus on terrestrial banks:

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=14617

(for those FTers not Chinese these are meant to be burned in funerals)
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by percysmith
Do you know if that card comes with a decent signup bonus?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by garykung
But seriously, why Wells Fargo still have to use stagecoach again, again, and again...
Because the stagecoach is an iconic part of their brand, tracing back to the company's origins as an express and banking service and involvement in overland mail routes via stagecoach.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by AllieKat
Not to be nit-picky but the Prestige does not have a "front facing" magnetic stripe, nor does any credit card.

Per ISO standards, the magnetic stripe and chip are the two defined parts of the card, and the magnetic stripe is always on the back of the card and the chip on the front. The other elements of the card that are normally on the back are on the front of the Prestige.
Yup. Basically, they just moved the signature stripe and the second hologram to the front of the card.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:35 am

I personally think the gold color on AmEx PRG is really tacky - I hate showing it at grocery stores and am looking forward to downgrading it to an everyday! Much prefer the elegant dark blues like CSP and Chase Amazon.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by heraclitus
Do you know if that card comes with a decent signup bonus?
No offense - your signup bonus is based on your family's contribution

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
Because the stagecoach is an iconic part of their brand, tracing back to the company's origins as an express and banking service and involvement in overland mail routes via stagecoach.
Iconic does not mean you have to keep using.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:54 pm

I hate the Alaska Air card as it's so dark and gloomy I can't even make out the info on the back of the card
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL, HH, Bonvoy
I still have an older Capital One card from my university that I've had open so long I just never want to cancel it. I needed it for the Uber "Free Ice Cream Day" promotion the other day and asked my girlfriend to find it while I was at work. She said she was horrified when she saw it.

Don't let the picture fool you, it looks ten times worse in person.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24
Funny, I was having that conversation just the other day. I haven't had a cashier in the US look at my signature in probably a decade, but it happens almost every time in other countries. We have ~35 active credit cards, and only 4 of them are signed at all - the 4 we normally take overseas.
I haven't signed a card in ~15 years. Every time I hand a card to a cashier and they flip it over to look at the back but then don't say anything, I chuckle to myself wondering what they were looking for? Waldo maybe? When I have to sign a receipt at a restaurant, I usually put a happy face or sad face depending on the service and mood I'm in. Sometimes I'll write a message instead. Never had a single callout on that either.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by chuzzlewit
I haven't signed a card in ~15 years. Every time I hand a card to a cashier and they flip it over to look at the back but then don't say anything, I chuckle to myself wondering what they were looking for? Waldo maybe? When I have to sign a receipt at a restaurant, I usually put a happy face or sad face depending on the service and mood I'm in. Sometimes I'll write a message instead. Never had a single callout on that either.
Which is kind of the reason that credit card fraud happens so much more in the US as compared to other countries. The whole point of the signature is to verify that the legal cardholder is the same as the person holding the card, using the card at some establishment. But very few people in the US actually care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.