Ugly Credit Cards

Old May 13, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Quite a website! I did not think that a credit card could inspire such intense feelings of pride.

To their credit, it was a decent looking card. Does it still exist on a grandfathered basis?
I think it's become the Citi card - still with no annual fee.

I gave up on it about 20 years ago. Back then there was a great Apple card (I think it might have been Citi) and I had three of those generating $500 each off Apple products at, I think, 5% from purchases, yearly.
Old May 13, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quite a website! I did not think that a credit card could inspire such intense feelings of pride.

To their credit, it was a decent looking card. Does it still exist on a grandfathered basis?
I'm not sure how "grandfathered" you mean, but it does still exist. The AT&T Universal Card is my "anchor" card at Citi (having had it for at least about 2 decades).

Once Citi took it over, at one point I recall them adding an annual fee and you had to jump through some hoops (minimum amount of activity?) to avoid that annual fee, but then later it seems they dropped the annual fee.
Old May 13, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by FreakingFlyer

Maybe the worst part about this card is that a bonus category is restaurants. Like I'm going to slap this beast down on a dinner check with a date? Uh uh. Not gonna happen.

Chase Hyatt Visa - it's the card that screams "You ain't gettin none, son!"
I think the "you ain't getting none, son" happens when the card is declined.

Either that, or our youth has gone worse than I thought.

Dates really pay attention to what the card looks like as part of their decision algorithm?
Old May 13, 2015, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I think the "you ain't getting none, son" happens when the card is declined.

Either that, or our youth has gone worse than I thought.

Dates really pay attention to what the card looks like as part of their decision algorithm?
Well, maybe it's the confidence of the guy laying the card down.

Gimme a Centurion, and I'll be on fire.

Gimme a Hyatt, and I'll drop my date off right then in my Chevy Citation.
Old May 13, 2015, 5:25 pm

CitiGold debit card: translucent burnt orange with gold embossing. I can't even find a picture online, it's that hideous.

Old May 13, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
The Hyatt card doesn't look half bad. There is a certain elegance in its relative simplicity.

Although that said, simplicity can work against you. I am not fond of the Canadian Marriott Rewards Visa. It looks silver but it's just some dull shade of gray, and it still somehow comes off looking busy despite the plain design:

Amex's cards on the other hand are quite nice. I've actually had cashiers compliment the appearance of the SPG Amex
sooo busy...this is good for crime deterrent, criminal could not tell which numbers to get from the card lol
Old May 13, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by MasterCharge
sooo busy...this is good for crime deterrent, criminal could not tell which numbers to get from the card lol
There's numbers on that card? All I see is a grey rectangular blob.
Old May 13, 2015, 10:34 pm

This...thing
Old May 13, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA UA
Originally Posted by josephstern
This is funny.

I had the AT&T Universal card back in the early 90s. And it looked fantastic.

It was one of my first cards, promised no annual fees for life, and had a pretty unique and bold graphic. Seems fairly dull today. But better than the current one....
Hey I remember the AT&T Universal card... Oops

This thread cracks me up :-)
Old May 14, 2015, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
Wow, the back of that card is horrific. I hate the Prestige because of the front facing mag strip. Honestly explaining to every cashier how to use it is frustrating.
Not to be nit-picky but the Prestige does not have a "front facing" magnetic stripe, nor does any credit card.

Per ISO standards, the magnetic stripe and chip are the two defined parts of the card, and the magnetic stripe is always on the back of the card and the chip on the front. The other elements of the card that are normally on the back are on the front of the Prestige.
Old May 14, 2015, 3:26 am

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Yeah that card is pretty plain jane.
Old May 14, 2015, 3:27 am

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mrcobra92
This...thing
Yeah that card is pretty plain jane
Old May 14, 2015, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by mrcobra92
This...thing
Thankfully, they've re-designed them and they're quite nice now.
Old May 14, 2015, 6:56 am

I have to add in the Citi DoubleCash, its probably made of the cheapest material they could use and the card info on the back is just a sticker they added. Good thing its 2% or I probably wouldn't use it.
Old May 14, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by MX5AutoXer
Have to say that I kinda like the brushed metal look of the Hyatt Chase Visa or even the US Airways card, but that's probably because I have this in my wallet:

It's actually a really good card. Decent sign-up bonus, an annual $99 companion fare, and minimum 1 mile/$ earnings. But wow is it ugly!!! Seriously. It's a freakin' platinum MasterCard. Could they not make it look just a little bit fancier?
You're absolutely right, it wouldn't take much to create a more appealing card. But then, I find that MBNA has generally underwhelming-looking cards. I'm not sure if it's on purpose as a reflection what they think their clientele wants, or what... but the MBNA cards I've seen have had middling to outright bad design.

And the worst MBNA card of all, the one so disgusting I would never carry it around in my wallet

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.