Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite (USA); NY GA TN NV CA MA DC & MN

Old Nov 6, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Current welcome offer is 50,000 30,000 Crystal points with $5,000 $3,000 spending in the first 90 days. First annual fee not waived. (as of telephone call with bank employee 8/7/2019)

Past bonuses were:

***** #1502 - signup bonus 1/16/18 BUT ANNUAL FEE NOT WAIVED ******

100,000 points after spending $5,000 in first three months. Offer expires 30 December 2015. EXPIRED

A 70,000 points offer was offered back in March 2017 and expired March 31st, 2017. EXPIRED

The requirements for the application process varies from bank to bank based on various online data points collected from FlyerTalk, Doctor of Credit, etc.

Some banks require that you go into a branch and apply personally. Other banks want you to have another account open for 90 days before you can get this card. Some banks (if you already have a relationship with them) let you apply via mail. Sometimes you have to be a resident of the state they operate in, while some were able to get the card without living in those states. It is very much YMMV. You will need proof of income (W2, check stubs, etc). The only states City National Bank operates in are: NY, DE (only trust office, no go), DC, GA, TN, MN, NV & CA. The bank is looking for high net worth individuals, but that's not exactly consistent either.

The card has no foreign transactions fees and is fee-free the first year, then $400 annually.

Register your card for online access (cno.cnb.com). This changed on Sept 19 2019.
Register separately for the award page (www.cnbrewards.com).
Register for Visa Infinite info and access at https://myvisainfinite.com/cnb/en_us/home.html
Click "my info" to see details on points awarded.
Best* redemption found to date is $1,000 prepaid visa for 105K pts. It's now 125K pts for a $1,000 prepaid visa. Link to catalog
*(other than spending for flights etc. & getting 1.2 cents each in value)

To set-up spending alerts, create an account here : http://citynationalbank.digitalcardservice.com

Point redemptions for flights have been reported as being as high as 1.35cpp (see here) by calling the Concierge service at +1 800 595 8950 and having them book direct from airline website for you

Significant benefits:

$250 per calendar year airline incidental credit - works on AU card as well - STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 THE CREDIT WILL BE $350 PER ACCOUNT
$100 Global Entry fee credit - works on AU card as well Per DDResq post 842
Priority Pass lounge membership for up to 2 people. No fee for any number of guests, but lounge policy may limit the number of guests admitted.- STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 EACH ADDITIONAL GUEST BEYOND ACCOUNT HOLDER WILL BE CHARGED $32
12 GoGo inflight passes - create an account at myvisainfinite.com/cnb. Once the account is created, you enter, then search for GoGo passes. You then input your card number again, create a GoGo account if you don't have one, and the 12 passes post to it ready to be used when you fly again on a participating airline. - works on AU card as well
$100 off when you book a qualifying airline itinerary via visa discount air portal (https://www.visadiscountair.com/CNB/default.aspx - STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 THIS WILL NO LONGER BE OFFERED AS A BENEFIT
$30 off GroundLink car service (works with AU cards as well) plus instant 15% off rides. There are $25 current user referrals to go for first.

Airline fees are reimbursed up to $250 per calendar year. Fees must be from domestic carriers. There is no need to declare a carrier, and fees can be reimbursed from multiple carriers. Partial Ts and Cs:

Qualifying Airline Purchases are defined as incidental airline fee transactions made at eligible US Domestic Airline Carriers and include: ticket change/cancellation fees, checked baggage fees, inflight entertainment, onboard food and beverage charges, airport lounge membership fees and day passes, onboard wireless charges (excluding Gogo Wireless), and TSA Pre✓® membership application fee.

What works
AA: Award Fees/Taxes, Award Redeposit Fees ($150)
AA: e-Gift cards $250 including AUs (1x per card max 4)
AS: Award ticket fees, $16
AS: In flight food, entertainment.
AS: Premium Class Upgrade, $59

HA: Interisland Flight, $48.80
UA: award ticket fees, $51
WN: Award Fees/Taxes, Award Redeposit Fees (limit unknown, but it's between $75 and $80 per transaction), Early Bird boarding fees ($15)
DL: Baggage fees
B6: $53.30 airfare

What doesn't work
AS: Award ticket fees, $130ish
DL: GC; PGGM (reports of not working since April/2016)
DL: Just about anything. Don't use on Delta
UA: MPX, Award Fees (~$170)
UA: Gift card registry (up to $75) (No longer working as of 11/25/17)
UA: Seat Selection Fee
WN: GC
EY: Award Fees
TW: Change fee
UO: Seat fee
AA: Award Fees/Taxes on an itinerary originating outside the US.

To Be Confirmed
UA: Award Redeposit Fees ($200)

Global Entry reimbursements: (works on AU also)

user - mnsweeps ( https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29336509-post1549.html )

Used mine and a AU card to register for GE for in laws
01/17/201801/18/2018USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER$100.00
01/17/201801/18/2018USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER$100.00

Credit posted today for both cards.
01/20/201801/24/2018GLOBAL ENTRY STMT CREDIT $100.00
01/20/201801/24/2018GLOBAL ENTRY STMT CREDIT $100.00

In 2016, 2017 AND 2018 airline incidental credits for transactions on-or-after January 1st did not start posting until the third week of January. In 2019 they started posting on Jan 11th.

For further information, see this

STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 there are going to be major changes to this card, these being:[/s]
  • $350 airline incidental credit per account (was $250 per AU)
    • $95 Annual Fee per AU
      • $32 per guest using PriorityPass (used to be free & unlimited)
        • Elimination of $100 Visa Air Discount Benefit
          • Groceries and Gas only earn 1x (used to be 3x)

Sources:

discussion starting here

https://www.cnb.com/content/dam/cnbc...ewards2020.pdf
https://www.cnb.com/content/dam/cnbc...rystal2020.pdf

Print Wikipost

City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite (USA); NY GA TN NV CA MA DC & MN

Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by AugustWest
Thanks. Same question--are flights really limited to basic economy?
People are reporting that issue with United bookings, but you could try other carriers, or calling in for a booking to see if other classes are available.

I think this an issue with their travel portal vendor, not a deliberate policy choice.

Seems hard to believe that a top end travel card expects their clientele to be forced into BE
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by AugustWest
Thanks. Same question--are flights really limited to basic economy?
No, they're not. I just happened to be looking to book a ticket from SFO-SEA and was checking on prices through the discount air portal. When I selected a United flight I got the prompt shown in the attached image. Perhaps it doesn't offer this upgrade if there's no inventory available?

Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by dreamspeed
The only worthwhile use for the points imo is for travel.

I looked up their redemption for flights and it's not bad. Booking flights through their portal is slightly more than what I see the same flights go for on Google flights.
For example, $335 vs $315 Google.

But you get around 1.34 cents per point so it's pretty good. Redemption for gift cards and cash back is garbage as you get less than 1 cent per point.

Realistically you don't need to max out the AUs to get good value. If you just get 2 x $250 GCs that already more than covers your Annual fee. On top of that you get all the premium benefits of a Visa Infinite card (100 dollar airline discounts, primary CDW, travel insurance, no Forex fees, etc etc). Basically the same perks as a CSR
Question about Primary CDW, I realize the website says that in the terms of the card, but in the guide to benefits that comes with the T&Cs it is very vague, as the word primary is never used. Bullet point # 9 under "what is not covered" on pg 2 says, "Expenses reimbursable by your insurer, employer, or employer's insurance."

This leads me to believe that it is secondary, right? Primary CDW is actually quite important in my opinion.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by JoeSmart
Question about Primary CDW, I realize the website says that in the terms of the card, but in the guide to benefits that comes with the T&Cs it is very vague, as the word primary is never used. Bullet point # 9 under "what is not covered" on pg 2 says, "Expenses reimbursable by your insurer, employer, or employer's insurance."

This leads me to believe that it is secondary, right? Primary CDW is actually quite important in my opinion.

Unfortunately I can’t confirm definitively one way or another. I have this exact same concern. On their website and on every blog I’ve found online it says Primary. On the actual T&Cs they have posted online and the physical copy that comes with the card it doesn’t specifically mention primary or secondary.

Currently I’m assuming primary until someone says otherwise.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:39 pm

Unfortunately I can’t confirm definitively one way or another. I have this exact same concern. On their website and on every blog I’ve found online it says Primary. On the actual T&Cs they have posted online and the physical copy that comes with the card it doesn’t specifically mention primary or secondary.

Currently I’m assuming primary until someone says otherwise.
Called the benefits people, and rep was pretty adamant that it is Primary. She said the language I quoted only applies if you decide you want to go through your insurance first. If you decline coverage from the agency, and you file a claim through the Infinite benefits first, as long as you meet all the other criteria, the will cover it through primary.
Now this is only one rep, and the language in the terms is vague so each to his/her own. Since I pc'd my CSP to CF, this is the only primary coverage card I carry, so like you, Ill probably continue to use it as my car rental card.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by JoeSmart
Called the benefits people, and rep was pretty adamant that it is Primary. She said the language I quoted only applies if you decide you want to go through your insurance first. If you decline coverage from the agency, and you file a claim through the Infinite benefits first, as long as you meet all the other criteria, the will cover it through primary.
Now this is only one rep, and the language in the terms is vague so each to his/her own. Since I pc'd my CSP to CF, this is the only primary coverage card I carry, so like you, Ill probably continue to use it as my car rental card.

yah I’m pretty confident it’s primary. I sent an email to my banker to get another opinion. Hopefully it’s one of those things you never need to use but anyone have a real life DP?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:03 pm

Are you on the CNO website or the creditsecure website? The CNO website is much more "modern" and has more features.
You're talking about City National Online right? Yeah it looks more modern but the creditcare website is the main credit card site right? Like it gives you more control over the account.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by pmarcos
No, they're not. I just happened to be looking to book a ticket from SFO-SEA and was checking on prices through the discount air portal. When I selected a United flight I got the prompt shown in the attached image. Perhaps it doesn't offer this upgrade if there's no inventory available?

You're looking at the Visa Discount Air site, for getting $100 off 2 or more round trips, paid in "cash" via CNB Visa, not points. The basic economy issue is a question about the Rewards redemption site.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:40 pm

1/6 - purchased $250 AA e-gift card
1/14 - $250 credit posted
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:57 am

Any recent data points of AA taxes and fees paid on award flights being reimbursed? I'm still waiting to get reimbursed for taxes/fees on a 1/4 purchase.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Good news on the calendar year issue: I had some travel credits from 2018 transactions not post until 2019. Made another purchase last week and it was fully credited, based on the 2019 allowance. ^
vora likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
deleted - covered by Wiki

Last edited by Boraxo; Jan 15, 2019 at 3:15 pm
Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by akr1970akr
People are reporting that issue with United bookings, but you could try other carriers, or calling in for a booking to see if other classes are available.

I think this an issue with their travel portal vendor, not a deliberate policy choice.

Seems hard to believe that a top end travel card expects their clientele to be forced into BE
I will call to complain and escalate, and suggest that others do likewise. CNB seems very responsive every time I contact them. It is completely unacceptable to force customers into BE.
Newbie Query: (1) Is there an option to use points for C/F seats? (2) Do you have an option to pay any additional airfare with another credit card (i.e. an airline card that offers perks) or are you limited to the CNB card? Or worse to fares that are less than your points balance.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:25 pm

yah I’m pretty confident it’s primary. I sent an email to my banker to get another opinion. Hopefully it’s one of those things you never need to use but anyone have a real life DP?
I did a damage claim on an Avis car rental last year. Insurance coverage was definitely primary. No questions or discussion about my personal insurance when I went through the claims process. It took forever to complete, due to issues with the Avis documentation, though all worked out in the end.
milypan, jackiesyu and dreamspeed like this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Newbie Query: (1) Is there an option to use points for C/F seats? (2) Do you have an option to pay any additional airfare with another credit card (i.e. an airline card that offers perks) or are you limited to the CNB card? Or worse to fares that are less than your points balance.
You can use points for C/F seats, but points have a fixed-ish value of up to 1.35cents, so a $5,000 C ticket would cost ~370k points. You can pay for any cost not covered by your points, so tickets that cost more than the points you have are fine
Boraxo likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.