Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite (USA); NY GA TN NV CA MA DC & MN

Old Nov 6, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Current welcome offer is 50,000 30,000 Crystal points with $5,000 $3,000 spending in the first 90 days. First annual fee not waived. (as of telephone call with bank employee 8/7/2019)

Past bonuses were:

***** #1502 - signup bonus 1/16/18 BUT ANNUAL FEE NOT WAIVED ******

100,000 points after spending $5,000 in first three months. Offer expires 30 December 2015. EXPIRED

A 70,000 points offer was offered back in March 2017 and expired March 31st, 2017. EXPIRED

The requirements for the application process varies from bank to bank based on various online data points collected from FlyerTalk, Doctor of Credit, etc.

Some banks require that you go into a branch and apply personally. Other banks want you to have another account open for 90 days before you can get this card. Some banks (if you already have a relationship with them) let you apply via mail. Sometimes you have to be a resident of the state they operate in, while some were able to get the card without living in those states. It is very much YMMV. You will need proof of income (W2, check stubs, etc). The only states City National Bank operates in are: NY, DE (only trust office, no go), DC, GA, TN, MN, NV & CA. The bank is looking for high net worth individuals, but that's not exactly consistent either.

The card has no foreign transactions fees and is fee-free the first year, then $400 annually.

Register your card for online access (cno.cnb.com). This changed on Sept 19 2019.
Register separately for the award page (www.cnbrewards.com).
Register for Visa Infinite info and access at https://myvisainfinite.com/cnb/en_us/home.html
Click "my info" to see details on points awarded.
Best* redemption found to date is $1,000 prepaid visa for 105K pts. It's now 125K pts for a $1,000 prepaid visa. Link to catalog
*(other than spending for flights etc. & getting 1.2 cents each in value)

To set-up spending alerts, create an account here : http://citynationalbank.digitalcardservice.com

Point redemptions for flights have been reported as being as high as 1.35cpp (see here) by calling the Concierge service at +1 800 595 8950 and having them book direct from airline website for you

Significant benefits:

$250 per calendar year airline incidental credit - works on AU card as well - STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 THE CREDIT WILL BE $350 PER ACCOUNT
$100 Global Entry fee credit - works on AU card as well Per DDResq post 842
Priority Pass lounge membership for up to 2 people. No fee for any number of guests, but lounge policy may limit the number of guests admitted.- STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 EACH ADDITIONAL GUEST BEYOND ACCOUNT HOLDER WILL BE CHARGED $32
12 GoGo inflight passes - create an account at myvisainfinite.com/cnb. Once the account is created, you enter, then search for GoGo passes. You then input your card number again, create a GoGo account if you don't have one, and the 12 passes post to it ready to be used when you fly again on a participating airline. - works on AU card as well
$100 off when you book a qualifying airline itinerary via visa discount air portal (https://www.visadiscountair.com/CNB/default.aspx - STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 THIS WILL NO LONGER BE OFFERED AS A BENEFIT
$30 off GroundLink car service (works with AU cards as well) plus instant 15% off rides. There are $25 current user referrals to go for first.

Airline fees are reimbursed up to $250 per calendar year. Fees must be from domestic carriers. There is no need to declare a carrier, and fees can be reimbursed from multiple carriers. Partial Ts and Cs:

Qualifying Airline Purchases are defined as incidental airline fee transactions made at eligible US Domestic Airline Carriers and include: ticket change/cancellation fees, checked baggage fees, inflight entertainment, onboard food and beverage charges, airport lounge membership fees and day passes, onboard wireless charges (excluding Gogo Wireless), and TSA Pre✓® membership application fee.

What works
AA: Award Fees/Taxes, Award Redeposit Fees ($150)
AA: e-Gift cards $250 including AUs (1x per card max 4)
AS: Award ticket fees, $16
AS: In flight food, entertainment.
AS: Premium Class Upgrade, $59

HA: Interisland Flight, $48.80
UA: award ticket fees, $51
WN: Award Fees/Taxes, Award Redeposit Fees (limit unknown, but it's between $75 and $80 per transaction), Early Bird boarding fees ($15)
DL: Baggage fees
B6: $53.30 airfare

What doesn't work
AS: Award ticket fees, $130ish
DL: GC; PGGM (reports of not working since April/2016)
DL: Just about anything. Don't use on Delta
UA: MPX, Award Fees (~$170)
UA: Gift card registry (up to $75) (No longer working as of 11/25/17)
UA: Seat Selection Fee
WN: GC
EY: Award Fees
TW: Change fee
UO: Seat fee
AA: Award Fees/Taxes on an itinerary originating outside the US.

To Be Confirmed
UA: Award Redeposit Fees ($200)

Global Entry reimbursements: (works on AU also)

user - mnsweeps ( https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29336509-post1549.html )

Used mine and a AU card to register for GE for in laws
01/17/201801/18/2018USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER$100.00
01/17/201801/18/2018USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER$100.00

Credit posted today for both cards.
01/20/201801/24/2018GLOBAL ENTRY STMT CREDIT $100.00
01/20/201801/24/2018GLOBAL ENTRY STMT CREDIT $100.00

In 2016, 2017 AND 2018 airline incidental credits for transactions on-or-after January 1st did not start posting until the third week of January. In 2019 they started posting on Jan 11th.

For further information, see this

STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 there are going to be major changes to this card, these being:[/s]
  • $350 airline incidental credit per account (was $250 per AU)
    • $95 Annual Fee per AU
      • $32 per guest using PriorityPass (used to be free & unlimited)
        • Elimination of $100 Visa Air Discount Benefit
          • Groceries and Gas only earn 1x (used to be 3x)

Sources:

discussion starting here

https://www.cnb.com/content/dam/cnbc...ewards2020.pdf
https://www.cnb.com/content/dam/cnbc...rystal2020.pdf

Print Wikipost

City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite (USA); NY GA TN NV CA MA DC & MN

Old Jul 28, 2019, 12:08 pm

I'm a little confused about whether having this card entitles you to private banking services at CNB. I know you are assigned a "banker" which I guess is equivalent to a RM or FA, but I don't really know what services are included with that. Do they do the really basic stuff like proactively calling if there isn't sufficient funds to make a payment? Do you get free lines of credit? I know the card says 13% interest -- which is obviously good for a credit card -- but I'd expect more like 6% on the back end for a private bank client. Is the banker willing to handle any cash management independently, like liquidating assets as needed. Are they friendly about running all your cash thru MM? What are MM rates like? Thanks for any info.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
Can anyone PM me a bankers email address to apply please.

The online application died before I could apply.

thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by time_stamp
I'm a little confused about whether having this card entitles you to private banking services at CNB. I know you are assigned a "banker" which I guess is equivalent to a RM or FA, but I don't really know what services are included with that. Do they do the really basic stuff like proactively calling if there isn't sufficient funds to make a payment? Do you get free lines of credit? I know the card says 13% interest -- which is obviously good for a credit card -- but I'd expect more like 6% on the back end for a private bank client. Is the banker willing to handle any cash management independently, like liquidating assets as needed. Are they friendly about running all your cash thru MM? What are MM rates like? Thanks for any info.
If you are in the market for a private banking relationship, and thus have the income and assets that are required for that kind of thing, then I don't see why they wouldn't want your business. My banker said a few times that they "are a very private bank" and have customized solutions for each client. I have no idea what their private banking relationship provides, perhaps others can chime in.

I'd gladly shift my business over to CNB but their banking products are simply not competitive compared to what we're currently getting from Alliant and Fidelity. Our net worth is around $1.1MM, with $200k in liquid assets and $300k/yr in combined income. If I could get an FDIC-insured account that was within even a half a point of Alliant, I'd trade that for the personalized service. As-is though, they are well over a point less competitive and that just doesn't cut it for me.

I love the credit card, though.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:37 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by sullim4
If I could get an FDIC-insured account that was within even a half a point of Alliant.
I just don't think we we will see that. Ever.

As long as the card features stay the same I am going to keep this card as my go to card.

I only had an interaction with my personal banker (the lady who took my application) via email about something that I forgot what it was. Since then...nothing. And I like it that way. I do know she has checked out my Linkedinn profile twice though, not sure what that means
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:31 am

If I could get an FDIC-insured account that was within even a half a point of Alliant, I'd trade that for the personalized service. As-is though, they are well over a point less competitive and that just doesn't cut it for me.
This is why I was asking about the money markets. In my experience, private banks hate to let you run your cash through a money market fund. Reading over the fee schedule it looks like CNB might be a little more friendly to that arrangement. FDIC vs. SIPC isn't really an issue for me where the cash is less than 250k. I don't keep a significant portion of my assets in cash anyway.

I'm just not that familiar with the bank. CNB is advertising home equity loans and credit cards and they've got an article about how to save 100k for college on their front page, which just makes it seem like there is a significant retail element here. That may be kind of obvious to people familiar with the bank, I'm just having trouble figuring out what kind of clientele they are best set up to serve.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:42 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

CNB is known to go for the entertainment and entrepreneur circles. Those people tend to have $1MM to $5MM or so net worth under management. This is why its main office is in Beverly Hills.

From what I know, the clients go for the service, not better rates. They probably do not even care if it is 2% or 3% savings rate.

This is how Jeffery Epstein made his fortune. The big guys paid him a lot for his personal financial advice. If the big shot gets $1 Billon, he won't mind to give away $1MM for some companion and happiness.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I finally agreed to another meeting with my CNB personal banker and her colleague who wanted to pitch me on private wealth management for my IRA account. In case anyone is curious the quote was 1.25% AF for AUM which is slightly less than CPB (Chase). I told them their online platform left a lot to be desired and their investment strategy was sound but pretty cookie cutter as one would expect from an RBC sub. The fee is high considering you can implement the same generic strategy of ETFs, etc. with Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab etc. for a fraction of the price.

I also had my first experience using CNB points to pay for air travel. I had not previously used CNB travel because I normally book one-way flights as this allows me better flexibility (and I can wait for better fares or saver awards on the missing segments). Also I prefer to use my JPM Reserve card for all travel as it offers 3x Chase UR points (>3x CNB points) and comes with excellent travel insurance, etc. But to be fair CNB has comparable protection through Visa Infinite and I had a roundtrip itinerary. The CNB travel portal was pretty easy to use though it did not permit me to select seats. However I quickly received a confirm with the airline record locator which I have since loaded into the airline app and could then select seats, etc. Unfortunately the CNB portal would not permit me to marry flights from different carriers (it did not even display the LATAM flights) so I ended up with a slightly higher fare. The overall value was 1.35 cents per point (with no booking fee) so I can't complain.

Hopefully I won't need to test the travel insurance…
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro | Hyatt Globalist | HH Diamond | SPG Gold
With my recent CNB Crystal approval, I was poking around the benefits page and noticed that It's possible to upfare your $100 Discount Coach tickets...

The terms and Conditions of both the CNB Crystal and Ritz Carlton Card state the same thing in the FAQ with regards to upgrades.

Does anyone have any real life experience with doing this ? I know that airlines can be funny about modifying tickets that were purchased through 3rd party OTA's. I assume thats how the Visa Infinite discount is booked. I cant access it yet as I dont have my card number but it looks like you need to login to the website and book through there.

Anyone have experience with this ?

Old Aug 2, 2019, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo

please don’t pull this nonsense with CNB. Some of us like this card and we don’t need it ruined by game players.

If if you can’t find $250 in legit airline expenses then maybe you should get another card.
Someone that makes $250k or more in a year doesn't need that card and its benefits. If you use the card for business that is actually not quite allowed, the same way you are not supposed to put personal stuff on a business credit card. So how else would you get the annual fee down by taking advantage of some of the credits? Using the credit to go to lounges you otherwise would not have gone to, is not a real credit, you just prepaid the lounge with our annual fee. And how often do you need to fly to use all credit for baggage and inflight food?
Again if you use the card for business/work travel is not 100% legit and kind a cheating compared to most others who don't travel for work/business.

If CNB doesn't like it they can stop it, like Amex does it and lets see how many people keep the card.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by td0815
Did anyone ever try the same Airline Credit trick as it works with the Amex cards and Alaska Airlines?
It works this way:
- buy a ticket in the evening that doesn't cost much maybe less than $50
- cancel it the next day before the 24h free cancellation is over
Tickets are not incidentals but this trick does work for Amex.
IME, sub-24 hour cancellations typically don't result in a charge, so I doubt this would work.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
My banker said a few times that they "are a very private bank" and have customized solutions for each client. I have no idea what their private banking relationship provides, perhaps others can chime in.

I'd gladly shift my business over to CNB but their banking products are simply not competitive compared to what we're currently getting from Alliant and Fidelity. Our net worth is around $1.1MM, with $200k in liquid assets and $300k/yr in combined income.
Without going into details, I have availed myself of their trustee services. They do provide a lot more service to get things up and running than some of the other (cheaper) places we considered (e.g. at the extreme low end, one could use Schwab). We did negotiate a discount off their standard fee schedule, but there are still cheaper alternatives. I'm embarrassed to say that their marketing strategy (of using the card as a loss-leader) appears to have worked...even if we don't stay with them long term, they'll have made enough money to offset a lot of posters' authorized user incidental credits.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
I just got this card and have a few questions:

I applied for this card on 7/26 when applications were available online. The offer at the time was 50k points for $5k spend in 3 months. On 8/1 I received an email from a banker asking to confirm the company I work for and my title and I replied with that info. On 8/2 the card showed up via FEDEX. I understand you get the bonus available at the time of approval not the time of application and the bonus dropped to 30k/$3k on 8/1. I’m assuming I got in under by 7/31 based on how quickly the card showed up but how can I confirm what I’m working towards?

I currently just have my wife as a AU. I want to add 2 more to maximize the $250 credits. What is the process to add AUs? Can I just use SS#s or do I also have to have a drivers license? Can I do this online or do I need to speak with someone? I still don’t have online access yet—my info is being “verified”. Card is active and working though.

Does spend on AU cards count towards minimum spend?

Also, I’d just like to add that I was not asked for any of the information many report—no bank statements, paystubs, W2s, tax returns, etc. Just applied online and was approved.

Thanks in advance.

Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
You cannot add an AU online, you must call the number on the back of your card, and the request will get forwarded to your banker who will gather the required information from you. I got what looked like a form letter email when I added my wife as an AU. It asked for SSN, photo of an ID (passport/DL/etc), Mother's Maiden Name, etc. Oddly he wanted me to email this... to which I said no way in hell am I sending this data unencrypted, I'm going to give it to you over the phone.

You likely didn't get in on time if it's based on date of approval. If it's based on date of application, you'll be fine. They use Fedex Priority Overnight - my card was sent from TSYS in Georgia on a Tuesday night immediately following approval, and it showed up in the Pacific Northwest the very next morning around 11am. They didn't spare any expense on this part.

Spend on the AU cards counts towards minimum spend. I physically got the card on 7/20-ish or so, and as far as I can tell, there's no indicator to show how close you are to meeting the minimum spend for the bonus.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:02 am
pjs

Quick data point on using CNB points with the $100 Visa infinite discount. I called the Concierge number on the back of the card and got the same fares available on AA's website for RT ATL-MIA flights we need to position for a trip to Peru over Christmas. The flights were booked on the card, including the $100 discount and then they applied my points toward the cost. It did take 19 days to get the credit (they say 10-15 business days so it was within that range) and the points were valued at 1.3cpm toward the cost of the flights.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
You cannot add an AU online, you must call the number on the back of your card, and the request will get forwarded to your banker who will gather the required information from you. I got what looked like a form letter email when I added my wife as an AU. It asked for SSN, photo of an ID (passport/DL/etc), Mother's Maiden Name, etc. Oddly he wanted me to email this... to which I said no way in hell am I sending this data unencrypted, I'm going to give it to you over the phone.

You likely didn't get in on time if it's based on date of approval. If it's based on date of application, you'll be fine. They use Fedex Priority Overnight - my card was sent from TSYS in Georgia on a Tuesday night immediately following approval, and it showed up in the Pacific Northwest the very next morning around 11am. They didn't spare any expense on this part.

Spend on the AU cards counts towards minimum spend. I physically got the card on 7/20-ish or so, and as far as I can tell, there's no indicator to show how close you are to meeting the minimum spend for the bonus.
So I have online access now and despite getting an email from a banker asking to verify information in order to process the application on 8/1 I see that the $400 annual fee was charged on 7/31. I think I should be fine, after all it’s going to be tough to argue that the account opened in August when there are transactions in July.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.