Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite (USA); NY GA TN NV CA MA DC & MN

Old Nov 6, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Current welcome offer is 50,000 30,000 Crystal points with $5,000 $3,000 spending in the first 90 days. First annual fee not waived. (as of telephone call with bank employee 8/7/2019)

Past bonuses were:

***** #1502 - signup bonus 1/16/18 BUT ANNUAL FEE NOT WAIVED ******

100,000 points after spending $5,000 in first three months. Offer expires 30 December 2015. EXPIRED

A 70,000 points offer was offered back in March 2017 and expired March 31st, 2017. EXPIRED

The requirements for the application process varies from bank to bank based on various online data points collected from FlyerTalk, Doctor of Credit, etc.

Some banks require that you go into a branch and apply personally. Other banks want you to have another account open for 90 days before you can get this card. Some banks (if you already have a relationship with them) let you apply via mail. Sometimes you have to be a resident of the state they operate in, while some were able to get the card without living in those states. It is very much YMMV. You will need proof of income (W2, check stubs, etc). The only states City National Bank operates in are: NY, DE (only trust office, no go), DC, GA, TN, MN, NV & CA. The bank is looking for high net worth individuals, but that's not exactly consistent either.

The card has no foreign transactions fees and is fee-free the first year, then $400 annually.

Register your card for online access (cno.cnb.com). This changed on Sept 19 2019.
Register separately for the award page (www.cnbrewards.com).
Register for Visa Infinite info and access at https://myvisainfinite.com/cnb/en_us/home.html
Click "my info" to see details on points awarded.
Best* redemption found to date is $1,000 prepaid visa for 105K pts. It's now 125K pts for a $1,000 prepaid visa. Link to catalog
*(other than spending for flights etc. & getting 1.2 cents each in value)

To set-up spending alerts, create an account here : http://citynationalbank.digitalcardservice.com

Point redemptions for flights have been reported as being as high as 1.35cpp (see here) by calling the Concierge service at +1 800 595 8950 and having them book direct from airline website for you

Significant benefits:

$250 per calendar year airline incidental credit - works on AU card as well - STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 THE CREDIT WILL BE $350 PER ACCOUNT
$100 Global Entry fee credit - works on AU card as well Per DDResq post 842
Priority Pass lounge membership for up to 2 people. No fee for any number of guests, but lounge policy may limit the number of guests admitted.- STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 EACH ADDITIONAL GUEST BEYOND ACCOUNT HOLDER WILL BE CHARGED $32
12 GoGo inflight passes - create an account at myvisainfinite.com/cnb. Once the account is created, you enter, then search for GoGo passes. You then input your card number again, create a GoGo account if you don't have one, and the 12 passes post to it ready to be used when you fly again on a participating airline. - works on AU card as well
$100 off when you book a qualifying airline itinerary via visa discount air portal (https://www.visadiscountair.com/CNB/default.aspx - STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 THIS WILL NO LONGER BE OFFERED AS A BENEFIT
$30 off GroundLink car service (works with AU cards as well) plus instant 15% off rides. There are $25 current user referrals to go for first.

Airline fees are reimbursed up to $250 per calendar year. Fees must be from domestic carriers. There is no need to declare a carrier, and fees can be reimbursed from multiple carriers. Partial Ts and Cs:

Qualifying Airline Purchases are defined as incidental airline fee transactions made at eligible US Domestic Airline Carriers and include: ticket change/cancellation fees, checked baggage fees, inflight entertainment, onboard food and beverage charges, airport lounge membership fees and day passes, onboard wireless charges (excluding Gogo Wireless), and TSA Pre✓® membership application fee.

What works
AA: Award Fees/Taxes, Award Redeposit Fees ($150)
AA: e-Gift cards $250 including AUs (1x per card max 4)
AS: Award ticket fees, $16
AS: In flight food, entertainment.
AS: Premium Class Upgrade, $59

HA: Interisland Flight, $48.80
UA: award ticket fees, $51
WN: Award Fees/Taxes, Award Redeposit Fees (limit unknown, but it's between $75 and $80 per transaction), Early Bird boarding fees ($15)
DL: Baggage fees
B6: $53.30 airfare

What doesn't work
AS: Award ticket fees, $130ish
DL: GC; PGGM (reports of not working since April/2016)
DL: Just about anything. Don't use on Delta
UA: MPX, Award Fees (~$170)
UA: Gift card registry (up to $75) (No longer working as of 11/25/17)
UA: Seat Selection Fee
WN: GC
EY: Award Fees
TW: Change fee
UO: Seat fee
AA: Award Fees/Taxes on an itinerary originating outside the US.

To Be Confirmed
UA: Award Redeposit Fees ($200)

Global Entry reimbursements: (works on AU also)

user - mnsweeps ( https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29336509-post1549.html )

Used mine and a AU card to register for GE for in laws
01/17/201801/18/2018USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER$100.00
01/17/201801/18/2018USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER$100.00

Credit posted today for both cards.
01/20/201801/24/2018GLOBAL ENTRY STMT CREDIT $100.00
01/20/201801/24/2018GLOBAL ENTRY STMT CREDIT $100.00

In 2016, 2017 AND 2018 airline incidental credits for transactions on-or-after January 1st did not start posting until the third week of January. In 2019 they started posting on Jan 11th.

For further information, see this

STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 there are going to be major changes to this card, these being:[/s]
  • $350 airline incidental credit per account (was $250 per AU)
    • $95 Annual Fee per AU
      • $32 per guest using PriorityPass (used to be free & unlimited)
        • Elimination of $100 Visa Air Discount Benefit
          • Groceries and Gas only earn 1x (used to be 3x)

Sources:

discussion starting here

https://www.cnb.com/content/dam/cnbc...ewards2020.pdf
https://www.cnb.com/content/dam/cnbc...rystal2020.pdf

Print Wikipost

City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite (USA); NY GA TN NV CA MA DC & MN

Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
In just 3 months the CNB card has ascended to become my most profitable card singup in a long time, though I expect the ROI will tail off massively in year 2.

$1000 in credits for AA e-certs (2 AUs, 2018 & 2019)
$200 in credits for Global Entry fees (1 for each AU)
$900 in airfare credit (value of 75k point sign up bonus)
$2100 total value, less $400 AF

Regarding autopay - for those who live near a branch you can simply ask your local banker to set it up.

Originally Posted by pjs
Does anyone know if in-flight purchases (not internet as I know that's different) like food or beverages get reimbursed on AA? We have a long trip to Maui in economy and I can use my AA credit card to save 25% if someone wants some food or a beverage but would rather save 100%. Thanks.
If you fly AA, the better play is buy $250 AA e-certs and then use your AA card for the 25% savings on board. Alas we rarely fly AA much so I'm currently sitting on $1000 worth of AA money.

Last edited by Boraxo; Feb 26, 2019 at 12:04 am
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:25 am
pjs

Originally Posted by Boraxo

If you fly AA, the better play is buy $250 AA e-certs and then use your AA card for the 25% savings on board. Alas we rarely fly AA much so I'm currently sitting on $1000 worth of AA money.
I totally understand, but I don't fly AA much (ATL-based) so that's why I was asking. Plus this trip was booked long before I had access to the $250 e-certs. Never mind, it's specifically reimbursable per the fine print.

Last edited by pjs; Feb 5, 2019 at 11:27 am Reason: Found the answer
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by yao
Applied at City National branch in SF (150 California St) on Friday. They validated my parking which was nice ($7 for every 30 minutes, it took me an hour to apply). Received a call saying I was approved today (Tuesday). The banker said it would take 2~3 weeks for me to get the card in the mail, which seems oddly slow, especially if I have to spend $5k in 90 days.

Application itself took about 45 minutes and did not require nearly as much information/documentation as others have reported. They asked me:
  • SSN (obvi)
  • Married/single
  • Own/rent
  • Monthly rent/mortgage payment
  • Liquid assets
    • Cash
    • Brokerage/investments
    • Retirement accounts without withdrawal penalties
  • Non-salary forms of income (alimony, etc...)
  • Employer
  • Length of time at employer
  • ID (drivers license)
Oddly enough, they did not ask for my annual income, W2, pay stubs, or anything related how much I make. Maybe they are loosening their requirements? Or I just look rich? (jk, I do not). Prior to coming in, they did ask if I knew my credit score and I responded that I did not know exactly, but that it was 800+.

Hope this helps anyone who plans on applying!
Thank you for this. Did you schedule an appointment or walk-in? Did you have paperwork ready (statements and such)?

I won't be applying (most likely) until end of the year after my 5/24 spots are filled but would you mine sharing the banker that helped you?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Can you also be reimbursed for an airline ticket under $200.00 on American?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:42 pm

Why do I not see any data points of reimbursement of Delta e-gift cards? Has anyone been successful with these purchases being reimburse?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Why do I not see any data points of reimbursement of Delta e-gift cards? Has anyone been successful with these purchases being reimburse?
Read back to my December 2018 comments regarding PGGM (Platinum Guy Grand Mehalach). The short answer is that since 2016 people have been unable to get a credit for purchasing DL gift cards, but supposedly you can still get credit for DL incidental fees like checked baggage. Check the wiki - only AA currently works for gift cards.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:43 pm

Did anyone get notice that they qualified for $550 lounge credit? How are we supposed to know we have that credit and the balance?.And manual redemption sucks as it brings eyes on the account.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
I've read the T&C for that fairly closely, I think its actually administered by Visa rather than CNB. I doubt they will affirmatively contact people about eligibility. One way you could potentially track that is to look at your monthly base point earnings on the reward site. That should line up closely with the annual spend. However if one is right on the cusp, I am not sure if its monthly statements summed up that count, or actual charges that posted in the calendar year, or actual charges on transaction date etc. Bottom line if you were really close to that 50k, I'd just go over it.

Which lounge would you pick if you got the benefit?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:23 pm

Oh I know I clearly went over 50K, I was just looking for a notice or confirmation from their side. I don't have one particular lounge in mind. My idea is if I'm in a place where PP choices suck or no choice exists, I would use the credit for a one time visit to a lounge.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: SW, AS, UA, AA, Delta, Hilton, Hyatt, Club Carlson, SPG, IHG, Choice
For AU cards, do you apply for it when applying for the card first time or do you add it after receiving the card?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by desikid
For AU cards, do you apply for it when applying for the card first time or do you add it after receiving the card?
Either
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by pmarcos
Yes, there's a form from CNB you have to fill out. I had called the 800 number and asked about it and one of the associates sent me a Word document that I filed out, signed and sent back in. That was back in November. They said it'd take a couple pay periods to set up. My bill was just due recently and I saw no indications that it was going to be auto payed so I made a manual payment, but called to ask and they told me that it is now set up for auto pay so I'll let that happen next month. The form was titled "VISA Personal Credit Cards Authorization for Automatic Payments".
This is now a PDF that the banker fills out and send you to sign. You need to provide banker routing/account numbers, etc.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by terps_fan
It's 2 PP memberships total. Not sure if the primary account holder has to be one of them.
It is at the discretion of your assigned banker. Yes CNB is banker centric, there is no one size fits all as you are not a number to them.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:46 pm

Hey, I did the lounge last year. PSA!!!! Please make sure to use/spend your 250 in incidental charges BEFORE you call these folks for club credits. BEFORE!!!! You cannot double dip! Meaning, spending 500 on the lounge will not get you back 750. You will get back 500, essentially subsuming the travel incidentals - unless they are already spent!!!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:47 pm

Finally received mine and AU cards in the mail today. Registered my card online, but wondering if I need to register AU cards separately as their card numbers are different, to be able to see their transactions. Since AU cards have different numbers I am hoping their transactions count towards getting 50k bonus points in 90 days on my card.
I would appreciate if anyone can provide some insights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.