Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite (USA); NY GA TN NV CA and now MA DC MN

City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite (USA); NY GA TN NV CA and now MA DC MN

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 13, 19, 3:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: ukinny2000
Wiki Link
***** #1502 - New signup bonus 1/16/18 BUT ANNUAL FEE NOT WAIVED ******

Past bonuses were:

100,000 points after spending $5,000 in first three months. Offer expires 30 December 2015. EXPIRED

A 70,000 points offer was offered back in March 2017 and expired March 31st, 2017. EXPIRED

The requirements for the application process varies from bank to bank based on various online data points collected from FlyerTalk, Doctor of Credit, etc.

Some banks require that you go into a branch and apply personally. Other banks want you to have another account open for 90 days before you can get this card. Some banks (if you already have a relationship with them) let you apply via mail. Sometimes you have to be a resident of the state they operate in, while some were able to get the card without living in those states. It is very much YMMV. You will need proof of income (W2, check stubs, etc). The only states City National Bank operates in are: NY, DE (only trust office, no go), DC, GA, TN, MN, NV & CA. The bank is looking for high net worth individuals, but that's not exactly consistent either.

The card has no foreign transactions fees and is fee-free the first year, then $400 annually.

Register your card for online access (Cnb.com/creditcardonline) and register separately for the award page (www.cnbrewards.com). Click "my info" to see details on points awarded.
Best* redemption found to date is $1,000 prepaid visa for 105K pts. It's now 125K pts for a $1,000 prepaid visa. Link to catalog
*(other than spending for flights etc. & getting 1.2 cents each in value)

Point redemptions for flights have been reported as being as high as 1.35cpp (see here) by calling the Concierge service at +1 800 595 8950 and having them book direct from airline website for you

Significant benefits:

$250 per calendar year airline incidental credit - works on AU card as well
$100 Global Entry fee credit - works on AU card as well Per DDResq post 842
Priority Pass lounge membership for up to 2 people. No fee for any number of guests, but lounge policy may limit the number of guests admitted.
12 GoGo inflight passes - create an account at myvisainfinite.com/cnb. Once the account is created, you enter, then search for GoGo passes. You then input your card number again, create a GoGo account if you don't have one, and the 12 passes post to it ready to be used when you fly again on a participating airline. - works on AU card as well
$100 off when you book a qualifying airline itinerary via visa discount air portal (https://www.visadiscountair.com/CNB/default.aspx
$30 off GroundLink car service (works with AU cards as well) plus instant 15% off rides. There are $25 current user referrals to go for first.

Airline fees are reimbursed up to $250 per calendar year. Fees must be from domestic carriers. There is no need to declare a carrier, and fees can be reimbursed from multiple carriers. Partial Ts and Cs:

Qualifying Airline Purchases are defined as incidental airline fee transactions made at eligible US Domestic Airline Carriers and include: ticket change/cancellation fees, checked baggage fees, inflight entertainment, onboard food and beverage charges, airport lounge membership fees and day passes, onboard wireless charges (excluding Gogo Wireless), and TSA Pre✓ģ membership application fee.


What works
AA: Award Fees/Taxes, Award Redeposit Fees ($150)
AA: e-Gift cards $250 including AUs (1x per card max 4)
AS: Award ticket fees, $16
AS: In flight food, entertainment.
UA: award ticket fees, $51
WN: Award Fees/Taxes, Award Redeposit Fees (limit unknown, but it's between $75 and $80 per transaction), Early Bird boarding fees ($15)
DL: Baggage fees

What doesn't work
AS: Award ticket fees, $130ish
DL:GC; PGGM (reports of not working since April/2016)
DL: Just about anything. Don't use on Delta
UA: MPX, Award Fees (~$170)
UA: Gift card registry (up to $75) (No longer working as of 11/25/17)
WN: GC

To Be Confirmed
UA: Award Redeposit Fees ($200)


Global Entry reimbursements: (works on AU also)

user - mnsweeps ( https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29336509-post1549.html )

Used mine and a AU card to register for GE for in laws
01/17/201801/18/2018USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER$100.00
01/17/201801/18/2018USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER$100.00

Credit posted today for both cards.
01/20/201801/24/2018GLOBAL ENTRY STMT CREDIT $100.00
01/20/201801/24/2018GLOBAL ENTRY STMT CREDIT $100.00

In 2016, 2017 AND 2018 airline incidental credits for transactions on-or-after January 1st did not start posting until the third week of January. In 2019 they started posting on Jan 11th.

For further information, see this
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jan 11, 19, 10:00 pm
  #2041  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1
4x$250 AA e-Gift

Order
01/01/2019 01/03/2019

Rebate
01/09/2019 01/11/2019

Considering to hold the card for one more year, should I?
fewbear is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 19, 7:20 am
  #2042  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 561
Originally Posted by fewbear View Post
4x$250 AA e-Gift

Order
01/01/2019 01/03/2019

Rebate
01/09/2019 01/11/2019

Considering to hold the card for one more year, should I?
Ditto my charges for 1/1, credits for which posted today.

As for whether to keep it or not, in my book I .paying $400 in AF and getting $1000 back. So yes it's worth it. Plus I put a good amount of spend on it throughout the year as I find the points and other benefits tremendously useful.
ukinny2000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 19, 7:54 am
  #2043  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 2,755
Just got the cards, all activated, online account and rewards account set up correctly.

One observation and question:

I feel like I was transported back into a website run by DOS or Windows 95, wow! These guys could sure use some web design skills!

Assuming there is no secure messaging online? As the "Contact Us" link leads to...nowhere.

It will take some time getting used to this interface...
gpapadop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 19, 10:28 am
  #2044  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 61
Originally Posted by gpapadop View Post
Just got the cards, all activated, online account and rewards account set up correctly.

One observation and question:

I feel like I was transported back into a website run by DOS or Windows 95, wow! These guys could sure use some web design skills!

Assuming there is no secure messaging online? As the "Contact Us" link leads to...nowhere.

It will take some time getting used to this interface...

Are you on the CNO website or the creditsecure website? The CNO website is much more "modern" and has more features.
dreamspeed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 19, 11:13 am
  #2045  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Western US
Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Posts: 470
If their website and interface was much more modern, I doubt the card would be as good.

I'm fine with them spending the money on benefits rather than over engineered websites.

Maybe the only thing that would be helpful would better ways to 'push' payments into the account from external sources.

Is anyone able to push via just using a visa account number?
akr1970akr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 19, 3:02 pm
  #2046  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 2,755
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
Are you on the CNO website or the creditsecure website? The CNO website is much more "modern" and has more features.
I just followed the link in the wiki and now I log in this URL: https://creditcare.cnb.com/CNB_Consumer/Login.do

It is not big deal really, just a little difficult in the eyes, that's all. As @akr1970akr indicated...it is probably better it is not as smooth
gpapadop is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 19, 7:54 pm
  #2047  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 313
DP: All four of my 2019 travel fee rebates posted today with a 9 Jan transaction date. Purchase transactions were Jan 5 (4x250 AA eGC) and posted Jan 7.
AugustWest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 19, 7:57 pm
  #2048  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 313
Originally Posted by ukinny2000 View Post
Ditto my charges for 1/1, credits for which posted today.

As for whether to keep it or not, in my book I .paying $400 in AF and getting $1000 back. So yes it's worth it. Plus I put a good amount of spend on it throughout the year as I find the points and other benefits tremendously useful.
Honest question: where do you find the greatest value for the points?
Agree that keeping it is a no brainer, if you max out the AUs.
AugustWest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 19, 9:00 pm
  #2049  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 61
Originally Posted by AugustWest View Post
Honest question: where do you find the greatest value for the points?
Agree that keeping it is a no brainer, if you max out the AUs.
The only worthwhile use for the points imo is for travel.

I looked up their redemption for flights and it's not bad. Booking flights through their portal is slightly more than what I see the same flights go for on Google flights.
For example, $335 vs $315 Google.

But you get around 1.34 cents per point so it's pretty good. Redemption for gift cards and cash back is garbage as you get less than 1 cent per point.

Realistically you don't need to max out the AUs to get good value. If you just get 2 x $250 GCs that already more than covers your Annual fee. On top of that you get all the premium benefits of a Visa Infinite card (100 dollar airline discounts, primary CDW, travel insurance, no Forex fees, etc etc). Basically the same perks as a CSR
dreamspeed is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 19, 9:13 pm
  #2050  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 561
Originally Posted by AugustWest View Post
Honest question: where do you find the greatest value for the points?
Agree that keeping it is a no brainer, if you max out the AUs.
As others have said, the 1.3x cpp for travel. I also use the visa discount air benefit at least twice, if not more, per year, so that there is another $200+ in benefits. The two PPs are great, but I also get PPs frm the various Amex's, so that is a bit of a wash.
ukinny2000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 19, 9:20 pm
  #2051  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 167
Originally Posted by jacisme View Post


Thanks for the tip. I have yet to get shell fuel rewards to work for me at all. I have my phone setup as my alt id but it never seems to work. Gonna try carrying the fuel rewards card around in the car now. Itís such a tiny value itís not worth this hassle. Iím really only trying to see if I can rack up some discounts while filling my 31 gallon work vehicle every time, and then use the discounts when filling up my wifeís car. Iíve now unlinked all credit cards except my company has card, and all redemption icons are turned off. Any idea why Iím not racking up fuel discounts each time I use my linked card?
If you only purchase fuel with the card you enrolled in Fuel Rewards, the most you will likely ever save is $0.05/gallon. If you purchase from the Shell retail store every $25 with the enrolled card will gain an additional $0.05/gallon and usually after you spend $50 at restaurants with the enrolled card you will gain an additional $0.10/gallon. The retail portal offers more per gallon savings, but if you are only buying fuel in the program you will likely never see more than $0.05/gallon savings.
Enclave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 19, 9:45 pm
  #2052  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 313
Originally Posted by ukinny2000 View Post
As others have said, the 1.3x cpp for travel. I also use the visa discount air benefit at least twice, if not more, per year, so that there is another $200+ in benefits. The two PPs are great, but I also get PPs frm the various Amex's, so that is a bit of a wash.
Thanks for the response. I read above that the travel redemption is limited to basic economy flights. Is that your experience too? What is your best travel redemption?
AugustWest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 19, 9:47 pm
  #2053  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 313
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
The only worthwhile use for the points imo is for travel.

I looked up their redemption for flights and it's not bad. Booking flights through their portal is slightly more than what I see the same flights go for on Google flights.
For example, $335 vs $315 Google.

But you get around 1.34 cents per point so it's pretty good. Redemption for gift cards and cash back is garbage as you get less than 1 cent per point.

Realistically you don't need to max out the AUs to get good value. If you just get 2 x $250 GCs that already more than covers your Annual fee. On top of that you get all the premium benefits of a Visa Infinite card (100 dollar airline discounts, primary CDW, travel insurance, no Forex fees, etc etc). Basically the same perks as a CSR
Thanks. Same question--are flights really limited to basic economy?
AugustWest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 19, 9:48 pm
  #2054  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 11,682
Originally Posted by Enclave View Post
If you only purchase fuel with the card you enrolled in Fuel Rewards, the most you will likely ever save is $0.05/gallon. If you purchase from the Shell retail store every $25 with the enrolled card will gain an additional $0.05/gallon and usually after you spend $50 at restaurants with the enrolled card you will gain an additional $0.10/gallon. The retail portal offers more per gallon savings, but if you are only buying fuel in the program you will likely never see more than $0.05/gallon savings.
If you're a T-Mobile subscriber they tend to give out an additional 25c/gal once a month as part of T-Mobile Tuesdays. Probably not worthwhile to sign up with them just for that though.
tmiw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 19, 11:02 am
  #2055  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Western US
Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Posts: 470
Originally Posted by AugustWest View Post
Thanks. Same question--are flights really limited to basic economy?
People are reporting that issue with United bookings, but you could try other carriers, or calling in for a booking to see if other classes are available.

I think this an issue with their travel portal vendor, not a deliberate policy choice.

Seems hard to believe that a top end travel card expects their clientele to be forced into BE
akr1970akr is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: