Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite (USA); NY GA TN NV CA MA DC & MN

Old Nov 6, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Current welcome offer is 50,000 30,000 Crystal points with $5,000 $3,000 spending in the first 90 days. First annual fee not waived. (as of telephone call with bank employee 8/7/2019)

Past bonuses were:

***** #1502 - signup bonus 1/16/18 BUT ANNUAL FEE NOT WAIVED ******

100,000 points after spending $5,000 in first three months. Offer expires 30 December 2015. EXPIRED

A 70,000 points offer was offered back in March 2017 and expired March 31st, 2017. EXPIRED

The requirements for the application process varies from bank to bank based on various online data points collected from FlyerTalk, Doctor of Credit, etc.

Some banks require that you go into a branch and apply personally. Other banks want you to have another account open for 90 days before you can get this card. Some banks (if you already have a relationship with them) let you apply via mail. Sometimes you have to be a resident of the state they operate in, while some were able to get the card without living in those states. It is very much YMMV. You will need proof of income (W2, check stubs, etc). The only states City National Bank operates in are: NY, DE (only trust office, no go), DC, GA, TN, MN, NV & CA. The bank is looking for high net worth individuals, but that's not exactly consistent either.

The card has no foreign transactions fees and is fee-free the first year, then $400 annually.

Register your card for online access (cno.cnb.com). This changed on Sept 19 2019.
Register separately for the award page (www.cnbrewards.com).
Register for Visa Infinite info and access at https://myvisainfinite.com/cnb/en_us/home.html
Click "my info" to see details on points awarded.
Best* redemption found to date is $1,000 prepaid visa for 105K pts. It's now 125K pts for a $1,000 prepaid visa. Link to catalog
*(other than spending for flights etc. & getting 1.2 cents each in value)

To set-up spending alerts, create an account here : http://citynationalbank.digitalcardservice.com

Point redemptions for flights have been reported as being as high as 1.35cpp (see here) by calling the Concierge service at +1 800 595 8950 and having them book direct from airline website for you

Significant benefits:

$250 per calendar year airline incidental credit - works on AU card as well - STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 THE CREDIT WILL BE $350 PER ACCOUNT
$100 Global Entry fee credit - works on AU card as well Per DDResq post 842
Priority Pass lounge membership for up to 2 people. No fee for any number of guests, but lounge policy may limit the number of guests admitted.- STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 EACH ADDITIONAL GUEST BEYOND ACCOUNT HOLDER WILL BE CHARGED $32
12 GoGo inflight passes - create an account at myvisainfinite.com/cnb. Once the account is created, you enter, then search for GoGo passes. You then input your card number again, create a GoGo account if you don't have one, and the 12 passes post to it ready to be used when you fly again on a participating airline. - works on AU card as well
$100 off when you book a qualifying airline itinerary via visa discount air portal (https://www.visadiscountair.com/CNB/default.aspx - STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 THIS WILL NO LONGER BE OFFERED AS A BENEFIT
$30 off GroundLink car service (works with AU cards as well) plus instant 15% off rides. There are $25 current user referrals to go for first.

Airline fees are reimbursed up to $250 per calendar year. Fees must be from domestic carriers. There is no need to declare a carrier, and fees can be reimbursed from multiple carriers. Partial Ts and Cs:

Qualifying Airline Purchases are defined as incidental airline fee transactions made at eligible US Domestic Airline Carriers and include: ticket change/cancellation fees, checked baggage fees, inflight entertainment, onboard food and beverage charges, airport lounge membership fees and day passes, onboard wireless charges (excluding Gogo Wireless), and TSA Pre✓® membership application fee.

What works
AA: Award Fees/Taxes, Award Redeposit Fees ($150)
AA: e-Gift cards $250 including AUs (1x per card max 4)
AS: Award ticket fees, $16
AS: In flight food, entertainment.
AS: Premium Class Upgrade, $59

HA: Interisland Flight, $48.80
UA: award ticket fees, $51
WN: Award Fees/Taxes, Award Redeposit Fees (limit unknown, but it's between $75 and $80 per transaction), Early Bird boarding fees ($15)
DL: Baggage fees
B6: $53.30 airfare

What doesn't work
AS: Award ticket fees, $130ish
DL: GC; PGGM (reports of not working since April/2016)
DL: Just about anything. Don't use on Delta
UA: MPX, Award Fees (~$170)
UA: Gift card registry (up to $75) (No longer working as of 11/25/17)
UA: Seat Selection Fee
WN: GC
EY: Award Fees
TW: Change fee
UO: Seat fee
AA: Award Fees/Taxes on an itinerary originating outside the US.

To Be Confirmed
UA: Award Redeposit Fees ($200)

Global Entry reimbursements: (works on AU also)

user - mnsweeps ( https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29336509-post1549.html )

Used mine and a AU card to register for GE for in laws
01/17/201801/18/2018USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER$100.00
01/17/201801/18/2018USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER$100.00

Credit posted today for both cards.
01/20/201801/24/2018GLOBAL ENTRY STMT CREDIT $100.00
01/20/201801/24/2018GLOBAL ENTRY STMT CREDIT $100.00

In 2016, 2017 AND 2018 airline incidental credits for transactions on-or-after January 1st did not start posting until the third week of January. In 2019 they started posting on Jan 11th.

For further information, see this

STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 there are going to be major changes to this card, these being:[/s]
  • $350 airline incidental credit per account (was $250 per AU)
    • $95 Annual Fee per AU
      • $32 per guest using PriorityPass (used to be free & unlimited)
        • Elimination of $100 Visa Air Discount Benefit
          • Groceries and Gas only earn 1x (used to be 3x)

Sources:

discussion starting here

https://www.cnb.com/content/dam/cnbc...ewards2020.pdf
https://www.cnb.com/content/dam/cnbc...rystal2020.pdf

Print Wikipost

City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite (USA); NY GA TN NV CA MA DC & MN

Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:10 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I just redeemed my 105k points for $1000 VGC. I know that it comes pretty quickly, but is it regular mail? UPS?

Also, I read that using the CNB Crystal card to buy the VGC in branch processes it as CA, but has anybody at least attempted to buy the VGC using a different bank credit card?
Arrives by Fedex.
What's so good about their GCs?
Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by yugi

What's so good about their GCs?
$1000 for $3.95 fee.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:44 pm

Quote:

Also just got my Delta PGGM.

What I learned this past week is that Southwest PGM does not work the same way. I booked an international award flight with SWA and used this card to pay the fees. I cancelled in an hour like I do with Delta, but no travel credit. I do get the credit if I don't cancel the flight, though. One thing I haven't tried is cancel the flight after the credit posts.

That's actually what I did. I cancelled after credit was posted.
That confirms it then. Need to wait for credit to do SWA PGGM, but can cancel right away for Delta.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 12:20 am

Small bank with poor customer service

These guys might be out of Los Angeles and now owned by a big Canadian bank but they are really small-town players. The after-hours customer service is pretty much nonexistent. And my "personal" banker at the branch is slow to respond to phone calls and emails and generally gives me inaccurate information when she does get back to me.

So just be warned: extreme patience is necessary in all dealings with City National Bank. This isn't Citi or Chase or AmEx or even US Bank.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 3:13 am

Data point:

Spirit bag fees don't credit.

Had 4 AA $250 GC credit on one account
Had 3 AA $250 GC credit on spouse's, plus one $205 AA credit. The $45 spirit bag fee did NOT.

I tried calling the concierge and got told "call us in 8 weeks"
Old Jan 1, 2016, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by anime333
City seems to be a stickler about security; maybe that is what it was?

Also, you said two cards; were you able to get two cards as just one person, or under someone else?
Well I had them reprocess and this time it got denied because it was flagging as CA.

I'll try with my AA card I suppose.

Anyway: my spouse and myself, we each applied (had to do $500 bank accounts, which I'll close). We shared 3 Au. (my mother and sister are 2 of them... I bribed them for their social with free precheck... Shhhh)
Old Jan 1, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
For those that purchased an AA gift card (physical), did it get shipped via FEDEX that required a signature?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 10:42 am

For those still waiting for some info. Here is my summary,
1) 11/21 applied for card (I was visually profiled and interviewed & was required to open a $100 savings account)
2) 11/23 I was asked for more information
3) 12/20 Received card regular mail, for me and wife (different numbers)
4) 12/21 Charged (3) various amounts at AA.com for instant gift certificates (One large on my card, 2 smaller on wife's)
5) 12/23 AA Charges posted
6) 12/25 AA Travel fee reversal date
7) 12/30 AA Travel fee reversal posted

Thanks to everyone for their info, help and suggestions on this most valuable card. 1/1/2016 I've reached my 5K and will be monitoring my reward account for bonus. This card may be worth keeping. I also suppose I can order up $500 more of AA gift cards this calendar year!

Happy New Year! I hope this works out for everyone else that's applied.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
That confirms it then. Need to wait for credit to do SWA PGGM, but can cancel right away for Delta.
Did you WN fees post or not? Cause for DL I see that the fees are posted, and then refunded.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 1:34 pm
akm

Priority Pass benefit

Can anyone who has used the Priority Pass Lounge Card provided with this card please tell us how the Prioiry Pass lounge charges work? Do we have to pay the per visit charge? Or, do the charges get posted to the credit card and then automatically get reimbursed by the bank? Or, there are no per visit charges?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by akm
Can anyone who has used the Priority Pass Lounge Card provided with this card please tell us how the Prioiry Pass lounge charges work? Do we have to pay the per visit charge? Or, do the charges get posted to the credit card and then automatically get reimbursed by the bank? Or, there are no per visit charges?
No per visit charges. From the benefits portal:

"What benefits do Crystal Visa Infinite Cardholders receive with their Priority Pass Select membership?

Priority Pass Select offers Members the following benefits:

- Access for Members and their accompanying guests to over 850 participating airport VIP lounges across 120 countries and over 400 airports worldwide, regardless of the class of travel or airline.1
- Relaxing ambience — for both Members and guests.
- Complimentary refreshments and snacks at many lounges.
- High-speed internet service, meeting rooms and other amenities at many lounges.
- City National Bank will also cover the access charge for visits by each Member and their accompanying guests"
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:13 pm

Did you WN fees post or not? Cause for DL I see that the fees are posted, and then refunded.
THe WN fees of flights that were cancelled prior to travel credit did NOT post. Everything else posted.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by jinglepink

No per visit charges. From the benefits portal:

"What benefits do Crystal Visa Infinite Cardholders receive with their Priority Pass Select membership?

Priority Pass Select offers Members the following benefits:

- Access for Members and their accompanying guests to over 850 participating airport VIP lounges across 120 countries and over 400 airports worldwide, regardless of the class of travel or airline.1
- Relaxing ambience — for both Members and guests.
- Complimentary refreshments and snacks at many lounges.
- High-speed internet service, meeting rooms and other amenities at many lounges.
- City National Bank will also cover the access charge for visits by each Member and their accompanying guests"
I was wondering this as well. I assume when we go to the lounge, we swipe our PP card. At that point, does PP charge the CNB card which is reimbursed, or does the charge never show up?
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:36 pm

Did anyone receive the Priority Pass Lounge Card if his/her Infinite card was approved after 12/10/2015? If yes, when the Priority Pass Lounge Card was received?

Thanks.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by inspace
b) Any info on the Visa Infinite Discount Air Benefit? If it can be used on the cheaper fare buckets that's a pretty substantial benefit.
Following up on an older post, I'm really pretty jazzed about the discount air benefit. Since getting my card recently I needed to book two trips, one SFO-LAS and the other SFO-PHX. In both cases the $100 discount was applied to the lowest priced airfare (on United).

I'm still kind of scratching my head thinking "what's the catch" but it really doesn't appear that there is one. I simply searched for the flights, selected the ones that I would have on United's site, and booked them. They showed up in my Mileage Plus account immediately as ticketed (at the full fare) and I'm waiting to see them show up on my statement including the discount. FWIW, the SFO-PHX one was booked using an AU card, not the primary. The discount was honored on that card as well.

All in all, the discounts I've gotten in the first couple days of using this card have paid for what the annual fee would have been. I'm very happy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.