Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite (USA); NY GA TN NV CA MA DC & MN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Current welcome offer is 50,000 30,000 Crystal points with $5,000 $3,000 spending in the first 90 days. First annual fee not waived. (as of telephone call with bank employee 8/7/2019)

Past bonuses were:

***** #1502 - signup bonus 1/16/18 BUT ANNUAL FEE NOT WAIVED ******

100,000 points after spending $5,000 in first three months. Offer expires 30 December 2015. EXPIRED

A 70,000 points offer was offered back in March 2017 and expired March 31st, 2017. EXPIRED

The requirements for the application process varies from bank to bank based on various online data points collected from FlyerTalk, Doctor of Credit, etc.

Some banks require that you go into a branch and apply personally. Other banks want you to have another account open for 90 days before you can get this card. Some banks (if you already have a relationship with them) let you apply via mail. Sometimes you have to be a resident of the state they operate in, while some were able to get the card without living in those states. It is very much YMMV. You will need proof of income (W2, check stubs, etc). The only states City National Bank operates in are: NY, DE (only trust office, no go), DC, GA, TN, MN, NV & CA. The bank is looking for high net worth individuals, but that's not exactly consistent either.

The card has no foreign transactions fees and is fee-free the first year, then $400 annually.

Register your card for online access (cno.cnb.com). This changed on Sept 19 2019.
Register separately for the award page (www.cnbrewards.com).
Register for Visa Infinite info and access at https://myvisainfinite.com/cnb/en_us/home.html
Click "my info" to see details on points awarded.
Best* redemption found to date is $1,000 prepaid visa for 105K pts. It's now 125K pts for a $1,000 prepaid visa. Link to catalog
*(other than spending for flights etc. & getting 1.2 cents each in value)

To set-up spending alerts, create an account here : http://citynationalbank.digitalcardservice.com

Point redemptions for flights have been reported as being as high as 1.35cpp (see here) by calling the Concierge service at +1 800 595 8950 and having them book direct from airline website for you

Significant benefits:

$250 per calendar year airline incidental credit - works on AU card as well - STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 THE CREDIT WILL BE $350 PER ACCOUNT
$100 Global Entry fee credit - works on AU card as well Per DDResq post 842
Priority Pass lounge membership for up to 2 people. No fee for any number of guests, but lounge policy may limit the number of guests admitted.- STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 EACH ADDITIONAL GUEST BEYOND ACCOUNT HOLDER WILL BE CHARGED $32
12 GoGo inflight passes - create an account at myvisainfinite.com/cnb. Once the account is created, you enter, then search for GoGo passes. You then input your card number again, create a GoGo account if you don't have one, and the 12 passes post to it ready to be used when you fly again on a participating airline. - works on AU card as well
$100 off when you book a qualifying airline itinerary via visa discount air portal (https://www.visadiscountair.com/CNB/default.aspx - STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 THIS WILL NO LONGER BE OFFERED AS A BENEFIT
$30 off GroundLink car service (works with AU cards as well) plus instant 15% off rides. There are $25 current user referrals to go for first.

Airline fees are reimbursed up to $250 per calendar year. Fees must be from domestic carriers. There is no need to declare a carrier, and fees can be reimbursed from multiple carriers. Partial Ts and Cs:

Qualifying Airline Purchases are defined as incidental airline fee transactions made at eligible US Domestic Airline Carriers and include: ticket change/cancellation fees, checked baggage fees, inflight entertainment, onboard food and beverage charges, airport lounge membership fees and day passes, onboard wireless charges (excluding Gogo Wireless), and TSA Pre✓® membership application fee.

What works
AA: Award Fees/Taxes, Award Redeposit Fees ($150)
AA: e-Gift cards $250 including AUs (1x per card max 4)
AS: Award ticket fees, $16
AS: In flight food, entertainment.
AS: Premium Class Upgrade, $59

HA: Interisland Flight, $48.80
UA: award ticket fees, $51
WN: Award Fees/Taxes, Award Redeposit Fees (limit unknown, but it's between $75 and $80 per transaction), Early Bird boarding fees ($15)
DL: Baggage fees
B6: $53.30 airfare

What doesn't work
AS: Award ticket fees, $130ish
DL: GC; PGGM (reports of not working since April/2016)
DL: Just about anything. Don't use on Delta
UA: MPX, Award Fees (~$170)
UA: Gift card registry (up to $75) (No longer working as of 11/25/17)
UA: Seat Selection Fee
WN: GC
EY: Award Fees
TW: Change fee
UO: Seat fee
AA: Award Fees/Taxes on an itinerary originating outside the US.

To Be Confirmed
UA: Award Redeposit Fees ($200)

Global Entry reimbursements: (works on AU also)

user - mnsweeps ( https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29336509-post1549.html )

Used mine and a AU card to register for GE for in laws
01/17/201801/18/2018USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER$100.00
01/17/201801/18/2018USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER$100.00

Credit posted today for both cards.
01/20/201801/24/2018GLOBAL ENTRY STMT CREDIT $100.00
01/20/201801/24/2018GLOBAL ENTRY STMT CREDIT $100.00

In 2016, 2017 AND 2018 airline incidental credits for transactions on-or-after January 1st did not start posting until the third week of January. In 2019 they started posting on Jan 11th.

For further information, see this

STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 there are going to be major changes to this card, these being:[/s]
  • $350 airline incidental credit per account (was $250 per AU)
    • $95 Annual Fee per AU
      • $32 per guest using PriorityPass (used to be free & unlimited)
        • Elimination of $100 Visa Air Discount Benefit
          • Groceries and Gas only earn 1x (used to be 3x)

Sources:

discussion starting here

https://www.cnb.com/content/dam/cnbc...ewards2020.pdf
https://www.cnb.com/content/dam/cnbc...rystal2020.pdf

Print Wikipost

City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite (USA); NY GA TN NV CA MA DC & MN

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by yugi
Never used this card beyond getting a bonus.
Here is what I use:
Groceries - Amex Gold
Gas - Citi Premier or Ducks Unlimited
Restaurants - Citi Prestige or Amex Gold
Airlines - Citi Prestige
Bus and not Hilton hotels - CSR or Citi Premier (bus, hotels), or Citi Prestige (hotels only)
Non bonused categories - US Bank Altitude Reserve or Amex BBP or Citi Double Cash.
For a single card, I recommend using USB AR with Samsung Pay, with Amex BBP and Citi Double Cash as a backup.
Aren't you taking a risk by using the Citi Prestige for air travel since they gutted their card of all travel protections (trip delay, interruption, cancellation)? I dumped the Prestige card after many years because of that.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by TTT103
Aren't you taking a risk by using the Citi Prestige for air travel since they gutted their card of all travel protections (trip delay, interruption, cancellation)? I dumped the Prestige card after many years because of that.
Yes, but they give you 5x on airlines. Never used those protections anyway. Amex Platinum is also weak on protections. CSR is the king, followed by Ritz and USB AR.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by good_boy_1234
Any good alternatives? Almost all agree that bonus categories were not good in the light of poor redeeming process and most of us kept this card because of free annual fee (even you could make revenue by $250 x 4), insurance, $100 airline discount, GE, and unlimited priority passes...now the card is getting nerfed so badly...what are the alternatives?

many suggested CSR which you can get unlimited priority passes, extra 50% revnue for flights but the net price is $150 which you can offset over 3 years with their signup bonus of 50K...but no airline discount

others suggested USB Altitude...seems the net is $75 but redeeming system is limited plus you need a samsung device for the 3 points because Apply pay is limited...you get 4 priority passes which is not ideal but at the same time not bad...I fly 3-4 times at airports that have lounge but would love to have extra as backup...and again no $100 discount

other options are citi prestige and Amex...both actually blow in benefits compared to the ones above...another one is CSP but it doesn’t have the priority passes...etc

all listening for suggestions
Chase Ritz is the closest, if you can get one.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by yugi
Yes, but they give you 5x on airlines. Never used those protections anyway. Amex Platinum is also weak on protections. CSR is the king, followed by Ritz and USB AR.
FNBO Travelite is a no annual fee card offering:

Secondary Rental CDW
Lost Luggage Insurance
Travel Accident Insurance
Flight Delay insurance (+12 hours, up to $300)
Trip cancellation and Interruption Insurance
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by RedSun
CNB pretty much runs its own operations and have no real connection with RBC across the border. Banking is heavily regulated.
Yup. It does not feel like mainline Royal Bank, and is unlikely to ever.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:19 am

The Visa air discount seems to be going away based on what others have said. You're not getting that benefit back on any card unless you're able to product change to a Ritz Carlton card.

The best combo might be Amex Gold and Platinum once the travel protections start in January. Throw in a Green card if you really want. Yes, lots of AF, but you're not getting a single one-stop shop like the Crystal was.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
In light of the Priority Pass and authorized user changes, I'm a little confused. Right now, I have one primary account with a PP card and one AU, with the only reasons for the AU being the $250 travel credit and a Priority Pass account with guests. It seems like I should cancel that AU account and then create a second PP card on the main account for my AU? How do I do the latter?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by TTT103
Unfortunately not everyone understands that. When RBC first attempted to enter the U.S. market back in the 90’s, they couldn’t survive in the southern market segment they were targeting. They then went after a niche market with the CNB clientele.
Regardless, given their daddy, CNB is far from a small mom and pop operation.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: MR
What is the max number of $250 credits you can receive with the current terms?

Is it capped at $1000 for 3AU's + main account ?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by big_guy
What is the max number of $250 credits you can receive with the current terms?

Is it capped at $1000 for 3AU's + main account ?
$1250: A joint account plus 3 AUs
Old Nov 4, 2019, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
Regardless, given their daddy, CNB is far from a small mom and pop operation.
Can you elaborate on how U.S. banking regulations impact foreign-owned domestic banks?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: MR
Originally Posted by jags86
$1250: A joint account plus 3 AUs
would it work with the lost card trick?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by gbryan84
I'm in the same boat and used this card as my primary for the last 3 years. I'm especially going to miss the unlimited PP and $100 Visa Air discount, which saved me over $1k/year for the past 3 years. My wife and I put $70-80k of annual spend on this card, which represents 95% of our total cc spend. My other cards are the legacy IHG card for the free night ($49 annual fee) and the Hilton AMEX Aspire for Diamond and free night ($450 annual fee). My spend breaks down to roughly the following;

$30k Grocery - family of 5. I'd say $10k of that was Amazon or other gift cards for the 3x.
$2k Gas - we might drive 8k miles/year
$15k Restaurants
$10k Airlines, Bus tickets and non-Hilton Hotels
$20k in non-bonus categories

I have zero interest in switching my banking/brokerage to BoA/Merrill. I just know if I do, that program will end. My wife has no patience for this and will only use 1 card. My renewal for CNB is 2/28 and I'll likely keep it for another year to spend down points (150k+) and possibly for the first $50k of spend for the airline club reimbursement, which is like an extra 1% back. I will certainly be dropping all my AU's before 2/28 though. This and the UA devaluation have hit me hard. Curious to hear what others plan to do if they're in the same situation.
30k in groceries for 3 kids? Whoa dude. I'm guessing you eat good. Real good.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 6:34 pm

Good news. Second $250 AA credit cleared on 1st AU after 3 days.
thexfactor likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by big_guy
would it work with the lost card trick?
LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.