Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite (USA); NY GA TN NV CA MA DC & MN

City National Bank Crystal Visa Infinite (USA); NY GA TN NV CA MA DC & MN

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 1, 19, 4:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: ukinny2000
Wiki Link
Current welcome offer is 50,000 30,000 Crystal points with $5,000 $3,000 spending in the first 90 days. First annual fee not waived. (as of telephone call with bank employee 8/7/2019)

Past bonuses were:

***** #1502 - signup bonus 1/16/18 BUT ANNUAL FEE NOT WAIVED ******

100,000 points after spending $5,000 in first three months. Offer expires 30 December 2015. EXPIRED

A 70,000 points offer was offered back in March 2017 and expired March 31st, 2017. EXPIRED

The requirements for the application process varies from bank to bank based on various online data points collected from FlyerTalk, Doctor of Credit, etc.

Some banks require that you go into a branch and apply personally. Other banks want you to have another account open for 90 days before you can get this card. Some banks (if you already have a relationship with them) let you apply via mail. Sometimes you have to be a resident of the state they operate in, while some were able to get the card without living in those states. It is very much YMMV. You will need proof of income (W2, check stubs, etc). The only states City National Bank operates in are: NY, DE (only trust office, no go), DC, GA, TN, MN, NV & CA. The bank is looking for high net worth individuals, but that's not exactly consistent either.

The card has no foreign transactions fees and is fee-free the first year, then $400 annually.

Register your card for online access (cno.cnb.com). This changed on Sept 19 2019.
Register separately for the award page (www.cnbrewards.com).
Register for Visa Infinite info and access at https://myvisainfinite.com/cnb/en_us/home.html
Click "my info" to see details on points awarded.
Best* redemption found to date is $1,000 prepaid visa for 105K pts. It's now 125K pts for a $1,000 prepaid visa. Link to catalog
*(other than spending for flights etc. & getting 1.2 cents each in value)

To set-up spending alerts, create an account here : http://citynationalbank.digitalcardservice.com

Point redemptions for flights have been reported as being as high as 1.35cpp (see here) by calling the Concierge service at +1 800 595 8950 and having them book direct from airline website for you

Significant benefits:

$250 per calendar year airline incidental credit - works on AU card as well - STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 THE CREDIT WILL BE $350 PER ACCOUNT
$100 Global Entry fee credit - works on AU card as well Per DDResq post 842
Priority Pass lounge membership for up to 2 people. No fee for any number of guests, but lounge policy may limit the number of guests admitted.- STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 EACH ADDITIONAL GUEST BEYOND ACCOUNT HOLDER WILL BE CHARGED $32
12 GoGo inflight passes - create an account at myvisainfinite.com/cnb. Once the account is created, you enter, then search for GoGo passes. You then input your card number again, create a GoGo account if you don't have one, and the 12 passes post to it ready to be used when you fly again on a participating airline. - works on AU card as well
$100 off when you book a qualifying airline itinerary via visa discount air portal (https://www.visadiscountair.com/CNB/default.aspx - STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 THIS WILL NO LONGER BE OFFERED AS A BENEFIT
$30 off GroundLink car service (works with AU cards as well) plus instant 15% off rides. There are $25 current user referrals to go for first.

Airline fees are reimbursed up to $250 per calendar year. Fees must be from domestic carriers. There is no need to declare a carrier, and fees can be reimbursed from multiple carriers. Partial Ts and Cs:

Qualifying Airline Purchases are defined as incidental airline fee transactions made at eligible US Domestic Airline Carriers and include: ticket change/cancellation fees, checked baggage fees, inflight entertainment, onboard food and beverage charges, airport lounge membership fees and day passes, onboard wireless charges (excluding Gogo Wireless), and TSA Pre✓® membership application fee.

What works
AA: Award Fees/Taxes, Award Redeposit Fees ($150)
AA: e-Gift cards $250 including AUs (1x per card max 4)
AS: Award ticket fees, $16
AS: In flight food, entertainment.
AS: Premium Class Upgrade, $59

HA: Interisland Flight, $48.80
UA: award ticket fees, $51
WN: Award Fees/Taxes, Award Redeposit Fees (limit unknown, but it's between $75 and $80 per transaction), Early Bird boarding fees ($15)
DL: Baggage fees
B6: $53.30 airfare

What doesn't work
AS: Award ticket fees, $130ish
DL: GC; PGGM (reports of not working since April/2016)
DL: Just about anything. Don't use on Delta
UA: MPX, Award Fees (~$170)
UA: Gift card registry (up to $75) (No longer working as of 11/25/17)
UA: Seat Selection Fee
WN: GC
EY: Award Fees
TW: Change fee
UO: Seat fee
AA: Award Fees/Taxes on an itinerary originating outside the US.

To Be Confirmed
UA: Award Redeposit Fees ($200)

Global Entry reimbursements: (works on AU also)

user - mnsweeps ( https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29336509-post1549.html )

Used mine and a AU card to register for GE for in laws
01/17/201801/18/2018USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER$100.00
01/17/201801/18/2018USCUSTOMS TRUSTEDTRAVELER$100.00

Credit posted today for both cards.
01/20/201801/24/2018GLOBAL ENTRY STMT CREDIT $100.00
01/20/201801/24/2018GLOBAL ENTRY STMT CREDIT $100.00

In 2016, 2017 AND 2018 airline incidental credits for transactions on-or-after January 1st did not start posting until the third week of January. In 2019 they started posting on Jan 11th.

For further information, see this

STARTING JAN 1ST, 2020 there are going to be major changes to this card, these being:

• $350 airline incidental credit per account (was $250 per AU)
  • $95 Annual Fee per AU
  • $32 per guest using PriorityPass (used to be free & unlimited)
  • Elimination of $100 Visa Air Discount Benefit
  • Groceries and Gas only earn 1x (used to be 3x)
Sources:

discussion starting here

https://www.cnb.com/content/dam/cnbc...ewards2020.pdf
https://www.cnb.com/content/dam/cnbc...rystal2020.pdf
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 19, 19, 6:47 am
Hyatt 5+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

The reason for the exits of the Chase CSR was because of Chase's lax underwriting standard. A lot people went for the 100,000 UR bonus only. Particularly the young people and a lot of them were even college kids who do not even generate own income, but on parent's support. If one sees his/her friend getting 100,000 point bonus, he/she would want to apply too. Spread like wild fire.

Then those young kids can't keep the card with $450 annual fee and they do not have the budget to use all the travel perks. So the cancellation within the first year.

It is absolutely necessary to keep at least one fixed point price card like CNB Crystal, Chase CSR/CSP or the Citi Permier/Prestige. If I need to book flight tickets that require 60,000 miles/points and its cash price is $700, I do not want to use my miles/points and get only 1.2 cpps. But I do not want to dent my wallet with the $2,000 flight costs. So I can turn to the fixed price points. I can use 46,667 UR points, or 53,850 CNB points.
xov91 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
The reason for the exits of the Chase CSR was because of Chase's lax underwriting standard. A lot people went for the 100,000 UR bonus only. Particularly the young people and a lot of them were even college kids who do not even generate own income, but on parent's support. If one sees his/her friend getting 100,000 point bonus, he/she would want to apply too. Spread like wild fire.

Then those young kids can't keep the card with $450 annual fee and they do not have the budget to use all the travel perks. So the cancellation within the first year.
CSR had a > 90% renewal rate after the 1st year. The number might even be higher if you remove the couples who cancelled one card after the renewal after both getting it the first year.
Old Sep 20, 19, 9:39 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by araknis View Post
CSR had a > 90% renewal rate after the 1st year. The number might even be higher if you remove the couples who cancelled one card after the renewal after both getting it the first year.
Heh. Put me in that 10%. Converted it to a CF to pair with my much weakened CIC.

Personally I prefer the CNB as my daily driver. Great useful bonus categories.

Also I think some people who held on to it beyond year 1, did it simply because they had not used their points yet.

I'd like to see the 2 year 'mortality' rate of CSR signups. I bet it is worse than a 10% loss rate each year.
Old Sep 20, 19, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by good_boy_1234 View Post
Irrelevant. First, that was just one rumor with no confirmation. Second, yes over 90% will cancel their card even if they achieve profit from it. Just do the math...350 “incidental airlines fees”, no signup bonus, for 400 annual fee card, without transfer partner, is not worth it. Just have CSP as an example, 100K signup bonus (back then) plus 300 travel credit (not just incidental) plus the best transfer partners system plus extra 50% points redemption for traveling yet the vast majority have canceled their card.
First, from what I've read there is no substantiation for this rumor - just pure speculation. Which is worth about 2 cents. The idea that CNB is losing hundreds of millions annually on this card is laughable. That's what Chase lost on CSR which was quickly rolled out to millions with massive signup bonuses. CNB as a whole probably has fewer customers than Chase does in one state.

Second, "doing the math" $400-350=$50 net annual fee, which is pretty low for cards that come with all the perks that are included with Crystal. The GE rebate alone is easily worth $25/year (assuming you can use it, which is no problem for a family). Great travel insurance including primary car rental and medical evac, - for a family that would easily cost you $75 per trip - but of course worth $0 to those of us who use CSR and other cards for travel. The unlimited Priority Pass is a huge perk for families as it is basically gone now from all other cards. Easily worth $25/year.

Third, the CSR (not CSP) retention rate was reported by Chase at 90%. I am sure that is accurate otherwise Chase would face SEC charges and investor suits. One can speculate on how many customers would dump CNB - but query whether they would really miss all of the unprofitable ones who are currently gaming the system.

With all that in mind, I think the biggest mistake would be for CNB to cancel the signup bonus. Because that would reduce new applications to a trickle...
Old Sep 22, 19, 9:27 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH & HY
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
You can surely cancel the card. Good luck with you.

Chase CSP never had 100k UR offer. You mis-spoke about the CSR.
Yes they did!
Old Sep 22, 19, 9:31 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH & HY
Originally Posted by Boraxo View Post
First, from what I've read there is no substantiation for this rumor - just pure speculation. Which is worth about 2 cents. The idea that CNB is losing hundreds of millions annually on this card is laughable. That's what Chase lost on CSR which was quickly rolled out to millions with massive signup bonuses. CNB as a whole probably has fewer customers than Chase does in one state.

Second, "doing the math" $400-350=$50 net annual fee, which is pretty low for cards that come with all the perks that are included with Crystal. The GE rebate alone is easily worth $25/year (assuming you can use it, which is no problem for a family). Great travel insurance including primary car rental and medical evac, - for a family that would easily cost you $75 per trip - but of course worth $0 to those of us who use CSR and other cards for travel. The unlimited Priority Pass is a huge perk for families as it is basically gone now from all other cards. Easily worth $25/year.

Third, the CSR (not CSP) retention rate was reported by Chase at 90%. I am sure that is accurate otherwise Chase would face SEC charges and investor suits. One can speculate on how many customers would dump CNB - but query whether they would really miss all of the unprofitable ones who are currently gaming the system.

With all that in mind, I think the biggest mistake would be for CNB to cancel the signup bonus. Because that would reduce new applications to a trickle...
Regardless, I would like to see people stop abusing the card. True usage would garner plenty of benefit and avoid the need to cut back.
Dream of Flying likes this.
Old Sep 22, 19, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler View Post
Regardless, I would like to see people stop abusing the card. True usage would garner plenty of benefit and avoid the need to cut back.
I’ll second that, and go so far to say that CNB should temper the sign up bonus to keep those away who only apply for the bonus.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 3:09 pm

How long does it take for the sign up bonus to post once hitting the minimum spend?
Old Sep 23, 19, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by jags86 View Post
How long does it take for the sign up bonus to post once hitting the minimum spend?
Several data points in this thread, would serve you well to do a quick search.

Mine was approx 4 weeks.
milesforhire likes this.
Old Sep 23, 19, 9:01 pm

Not able to login to their new credit card site, do I have to register again or what?
Old Sep 23, 19, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by msthegame View Post
Not able to login to their new credit card site, do I have to register again or what?
you do. At least I had to.

The site is pretty terrible. Takes ages to load and extremely glitchy
Old Sep 23, 19, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by msthegame View Post
yes
Old Sep 23, 19, 10:06 pm

I was very excited about this product, but I am seriously thinking twice about becoming a long term customer. I am extremely unsatisfied with my "personal manager." Not once has he answered his phone, never responds to emails or voicemails, and takes weeks and multiple reminders to complete basic requests. A month ago I submitted an authorized user request form. Weeks passed. After numerous emails, and voicemails left and unanswered, I had to visit the branch during my lunch break twice just to remind him that I am still awaiting the authorized user card. His response is usually "sorry, I forgot. I will process it immediately and you should receive it in a few days." That was a week ago. Left another voice mail today, but I doubt he has checked it. Most likely one bad apple, but I have come to appreciate the phone reps at the big national banks. Does CNB allow me to do banking through a general hotline without having to go through my rep? I hate this man.
milesforhire likes this.
Old Sep 24, 19, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by arkistan View Post
I was very excited about this product, but I am seriously thinking twice about becoming a long term customer. I am extremely unsatisfied with my "personal manager." Not once has he answered his phone, never responds to emails or voicemails, and takes weeks and multiple reminders to complete basic requests. A month ago I submitted an authorized user request form. Weeks passed. After numerous emails, and voicemails left and unanswered, I had to visit the branch during my lunch break twice just to remind him that I am still awaiting the authorized user card. His response is usually "sorry, I forgot. I will process it immediately and you should receive it in a few days." That was a week ago. Left another voice mail today, but I doubt he has checked it. Most likely one bad apple, but I have come to appreciate the phone reps at the big national banks. Does CNB allow me to do banking through a general hotline without having to go through my rep? I hate this man.
Why not ask to switch bankers? Although, after you add your authorized user, how much will you really be dealing with him?
Old Sep 24, 19, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by jrc87 View Post

The site is pretty terrible. Takes ages to load and extremely glitchy
I much prefer the old site. None of my pre-authorizations display on the new site, and it is really slow.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: